Fort McAllister State Historic Park Campground
$82
$42
$60
Dogwood Inn and Suites(Richmond Hill)
$63
$109
$96
Hampton.com
$54
Super 8 Richmond Hill(Richmond Hill)
$65
$55
Orbitz.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewstent sitesboat rampsalt marshthe cottagescivil wardump stationself guided tourbath housenice campwasher dryerminute driveraccoonscampersplaygroundwoodsdemonstrationft
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This is a great place for pit stop if you're traveling down the east coast to Florida. It's about 4 hours south of Murrell's Inlet, SC.

We had reserved a site big enough for our 38 ft trailer for 5 days over the US thanksgiving weekend. Just a word of warning, when you reserve a site here, you aren't reserving a specific site, just one somewhere in the campground that will fit your equipment. When you get there, the park ranger checks you in and then lets you go pick your site...they're first come first serve. There's nothing to prevent someone camping in a tent from taking a site big enough for a 40 ft RV. I'm sure most times it's not an issue but this weekend the campground was full, as was just about every other campground in the south.

Luckily we got there early enough on the Wednesday to find a site big enough for us still available. There were only a couple to choose from but we were quite happy with the one we got, it was huge! Even though our site was a pull thru and relatively easy to get in, the trees proved to be a pain to get around on the way out!

Despite being full for Thanksgiving, it never felt crowed there and although the partying got loud, it never got crazy. The camp hosts managed to keep the bathrooms nice and clean most of the time which is saying alot because they were well used that weekend.

Since the campground is on an island in the salt water marsh, there were lots of short trails to walk or bike. There's also Fort McAllister to explore. Just outside the park there's lots of neighbourhoods with gorgeous waterfront homes to see...highly recommend just hopping on your bike and checking them out.

From the park it's only 30 mins to Historic Savannah or 1 hr. to Tybee Island. If you like the beach, go to Tybee Island. It's worth the visit, another gorgeous beach on the east coast.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank trailernomad
Reviewed August 5, 2010

This was our first stay at this park. We stayed in a travel trailer with our family. The campground hosts kept the bath houses very clean. They are doing a great job. If you like history, or boating and fishing this is definitely the campground for you. It is about a 35 minute drive into the historic area of Savannah and about an hours drive out to Tybee. But it really did not feel like an hour, with all the beautiful Marsh land to look at. This is now one of our favorite state parks and we will definitely come here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank CampinMama123
Reviewed August 14, 2009

My wife and I Stayed here on our vacation to Savannah, and we were glad we did. The campground is on a little island that you can only get on with a code through the gate. There is a place for the kids to play and picnic tables also. Where the picnic tables and playground are(outside the campground) there is a Peir , I recommend taking your camera out to there and checking out the sights, it's nice. There is also a playground in the campsite also. The staff there are really helpful,and know alot about the area. My wife and I were just looking for a place to camp that wasn't expensive so we could spend more money and time away sightseeing. I regret not checking out the earthworks that are there, left from the Civil War. I checked them out briefly right before we left for home. I was blown away by how nice they were kept and just in awe of them . That is something no history buff should miss. I wish I would have seen the presentation they give. The bathrooms that are on the campgrounds are updated and look nice. If you have a boat, there is a launching pad ( ithink that is what they call it) to send your boat off. Like the other reviews said there are deer everywhere, at night on the way back to our camp we would spot deer all up and down the road leading to the camp. Also if you have a cooler, bring some tie downs or put it in your car or truck at night. Raccoons paid us a visit one night and drank all my Capri-Suns and got into the breakfast food we planned to cooking the next morning. AAHH ! The joys of camping.....

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KingBumble
Reviewed March 22, 2009

The Campgrounds at Fort McAllister are one of the best in the Savannah Area. My girlfriend and I were going to Savannah for St. Patties Day, and we love to camp so this place fit the bill nicely. Power and Water at each site, hot water showers, and lots of trails to explore. One of my favorite campgrounds on the East Coast.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank xdrfirefly
A TripAdvisor Member
Bradenton, FL
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I stayed here shortly before the 4th of July. It was a very positive stay. I love riding my bicycle around the campsite. There is lots to see, especially in the morning there are chances to see deer. I enjoyed that very much. There were a lot of people there with their boats. There is a real nice boat lauching site. Folks were raving about the fishing. Definitely worth the trip.

Stayed: July 2006