“yoga retreat”

Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Pablo
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Our visit to Ama Tierra was nearly perfect. Splendid food, gorgeous location, interesting and friendly staff - from kitchen staff to massage therapists to the welcoming and personable owners, Jill and Bob. Excellent value for the money. I will come again next year, I am pretty sure.
My only (very minor) discomfort was with the bed. I shared a room and neither bed was very comfortable. Mine was a futon, which made my back hurt. Next time, I would try to avoid the futon bed. Would also have liked a nice view - but that, too, was pretty minor.

• Stayed: February 2011

Reviewed February 22, 2011

I was one of two yoga instructors leading a retreat at AmaTierra. The grounds and accommodations were stunning yet simple. The staff so warm and inviting that after only a few hours there I already felt like a long lost friend. The whole atmosphere of AmaTierra was conducive to relaxation and joviality. Although our group started out as individuals who did not know each other by the time we left some solid friendships had been made. I would not only recommend AmaTierra to friends, I would tell them that if they went to Costa Rica and didn't go there they would be missing out on one of the finer things in life.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I loved my time at AmaTierra. The staff was generous and knowledgeable. The massages with Angie were to die for. Pablo prepared fine cuisine every night. Jill and Bob and Kenny were attentive to our needs.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 12, 2011

We went here through our Yoga studio for a yoga retreat. Pablo, the chef, prepares amazing meals. Kenny does a wonderful job taking care of things and setting up excursions. Bob is really nice and does a great job keeping everyone happy. Jill helps to address any ailments you may have. The rest of the staff does an amazing job serving and manicuring the grounds and the massage therapists (I had Angie) works wonders as well!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I had a similar experience to the Think Twice review. Prior to my visit, management assured me that the above poor review had been 100% handled just has they had in writing on Trip Advisor. However, after the first night of not sleeping or unpacking due to spiders in my room, management tried spraying and moving me to a different room (after we had a lengthy discussion of ways to compromise.) At eleven o'clock the next night, a scorpion was in my second room and management forgot to forward the nightly phones just as the other writer mentioned. (I have no idea what brand they used for pesticide, but I have traveled around the world while staying in many different types of hotels, and had never experienced the amount of bugs that this hotel contained.) Management said that they were unable to control this situation, but I was completely misled when I called ahead of time and specifically asked about these circumstances. I am often outdoors and certainly was not expecting nor wanting luxury, but I did expect a minimum standard of hygiene. Although the food was superb, my friends, family and I all agreed that we would rather eat good food and stay in a clean room while traveling. Great yoga classes and massages are provided in several hotels throughout Costa Rica which were highly recommended by locals...so you decide. If you don't mind spiders and scorpions, this is the hotel for you! p.s. The Jacuzzi tubs were still not working.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank advisor34242
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I cannot say enough positive things. Jill and Bob were wonderful hosts, the hotel was lovely, the food wonderful, the staff friendly and fun, the yoga classes and spa treatments first-rate. Jill is highly knowledgeable not only about yoga, but herbal healing, massage, and acupressure. Everything, from airport pickup and drop-off, to the perfect blend of charm and friendliness, without smothering, was a "10." I would recommend Amatierra to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank MariaF13
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I went to Ama Tierra for a solo trip to get some rest, relaxation, yoga, and detox. I really needed this trip in order to just "be". I certainly found what I was looking for too. I packed very lightly, knowing that I'd spend my days in my morning yoga clothes writing in my journal, reading, listening to the sounds, enjoying the sights, and occasionally interacting with others. Some of the things I packed I never even touched, not once. You won't need to pack a book, there are plenty in the lobby to choose from. Even Costa Rica books, so don't bother packing any. Also, you won't need to pack shampoo, soap, sunscreen, bug spray, or flashlights. I packed all of this, including 2 books, and didn't need to. I thought this would be helpful for others who like to travel lights as well. If you are not into good food, good company, relaxation, or solitude, don't bother. I on the other hand, found exactly what I was looking for. Also with the detox program, I came home 5 lbs lighter too! Always a plus for anyone.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
18 mi away
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela

Been to Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center? Share your experiences!