Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center
$88
  • Pool
$149
$145
Hotel Colinas del Sol(Atenas)(Great Value!)
$59
$57
Establo San Rafael B&B(Santiago de Puriscal)(Great Value!)
$55
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
$83
Hotel Cerro Lodge(Tarcoles)(Great Value!)
$69
$64
$63
$61
Hotwire.com
All reviewsama tierracosta ricayoga studioat homeget awayother guestsmy friendperfect placemorning yoganational parkgreat experiencelife changingnew friendsspa treatmentswonderful hostscan't wait to go backchicken
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I had a similar experience to the Think Twice review. Prior to my visit, management assured me that the above poor review had been 100% handled just has they had in writing on Trip Advisor. However, after the first night of not sleeping or unpacking due to spiders in my room, management tried spraying and moving me to a different room (after we had a lengthy discussion of ways to compromise.) At eleven o'clock the next night, a scorpion was in my second room and management forgot to forward the nightly phones just as the other writer mentioned. (I have no idea what brand they used for pesticide, but I have traveled around the world while staying in many different types of hotels, and had never experienced the amount of bugs that this hotel contained.) Management said that they were unable to control this situation, but I was completely misled when I called ahead of time and specifically asked about these circumstances. I am often outdoors and certainly was not expecting nor wanting luxury, but I did expect a minimum standard of hygiene. Although the food was superb, my friends, family and I all agreed that we would rather eat good food and stay in a clean room while traveling. Great yoga classes and massages are provided in several hotels throughout Costa Rica which were highly recommended by locals...so you decide. If you don't mind spiders and scorpions, this is the hotel for you! p.s. The Jacuzzi tubs were still not working.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank advisor34242
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I cannot say enough positive things. Jill and Bob were wonderful hosts, the hotel was lovely, the food wonderful, the staff friendly and fun, the yoga classes and spa treatments first-rate. Jill is highly knowledgeable not only about yoga, but herbal healing, massage, and acupressure. Everything, from airport pickup and drop-off, to the perfect blend of charm and friendliness, without smothering, was a "10." I would recommend Amatierra to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank MariaF13
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I went to Ama Tierra for a solo trip to get some rest, relaxation, yoga, and detox. I really needed this trip in order to just "be". I certainly found what I was looking for too. I packed very lightly, knowing that I'd spend my days in my morning yoga clothes writing in my journal, reading, listening to the sounds, enjoying the sights, and occasionally interacting with others. Some of the things I packed I never even touched, not once. You won't need to pack a book, there are plenty in the lobby to choose from. Even Costa Rica books, so don't bother packing any. Also, you won't need to pack shampoo, soap, sunscreen, bug spray, or flashlights. I packed all of this, including 2 books, and didn't need to. I thought this would be helpful for others who like to travel lights as well. If you are not into good food, good company, relaxation, or solitude, don't bother. I on the other hand, found exactly what I was looking for. Also with the detox program, I came home 5 lbs lighter too! Always a plus for anyone.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2011

It is true that Ama Tierra is beautifully situated in the Costa Rican mountains, and that the campus is amazing. Well manicured grounds and comfortable rooms really helped make the stay enjoyable. While that is true, it is the people that make Ama Tierra truly special. Our stay was short, only three nights, but the staff did everything to make it enjoyable. Our time on site was amazing, the grounds are an excellent place to hike and the yoga facility is really something special with a world class view. We also all had amazing massages. At night, a nice bottle of wine and really delicious meals prepared by Pablo, who also played guitar for us. We took a day trip to Carara park which the staff arranged, really amazing day.

In all, we were blown away by the experience, and the people truly made the trip special. Thanks to Jill, Bob, Kenny and Pablo for making our brief trip absolutely perfect.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Our vacation at amatierra was a wellness package for 8 days. It is well located less than an hour from San Jose,within close distance to many day eco trips. Which there staff are happy to arrange for you. The food organic based, local and seasonal fruit and veggies,fresh fish and prepared with heart centered care and attention to details. The yoga studio & spa is a sanctuary for healing and growth with views of the lush tropical folage. This was a fun and relaxing family vacation with our 22& 25 yr.old daughters. Jill and Bob the owners were wonderful hosts. Bob is a great story teller and Jill a real renaissance women. Some of her many talents include being a master herbalist,yoga instructor,massage therapist, and sings and plays the piano beautifully. She had a crystal bowl med. one eve that was out of this world.We will return. Susie and Lee

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple