All reviews ama tierra costa rica yoga studio at home get away other guests my friend daily yoga perfect place life changing carara national park great experience the entire staff new friends spa treatments local waterfall wonderful hosts
Reviewed March 2, 2018

I was fortunate enough to get to spend one week at this wonderful yoga retreat. I needed to take a week out of my busy schedule to re-group and spend some much needed time with myself. I figured a stay at Amatierra was exactly what I needed- and I left with more than I imagined. The property is absolutely beautiful, and Jill and Bob were wonderful hosts. I came as a solo traveler and everyone who worked at the property were so welcoming and made me feel at home. The yoga classes in the morning with Vanessa were amazing, and the meditation sessions with Jill in the evening were perfect for unwinding the day. I know I will be back and I highly recommend staying here!

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed February 11, 2018

Had the most lovely stay at this Wellness resort. The host and hostess and the staff are absolutely the best, could not have had a better stay. Casitas are very comfortable, view is outstanding and food is second to none. Small setting with huge hearts..Will be back someday.

Room tip: All the rooms are great
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2018

Meals are eaten together, so that was nice for a solo traveller. It provided an opportunity to meet new people. The food was healthy and tasteful. Some meals seemed to be on the "smaller" portion size but there was a bowl of fruit that you could snack from throughout the day. Coffee and tea were also available during the day. When there were more people at the resort, the breakfasts were buffet style and delicious. Other mornings, when there were just a few guests, breakfast was from a limited menu.
The casitas were comfortable and nicely decorated. However there was no view (at least from mine). Some of the casitas are close the the highway, so very noisy.
I enjoyed the morning yoga with different instructors. Yoga and/or meditation were only offered three of the five nights that I was there, which was disappointing.
The pool area was relaxing and comfortable. One massage was included in the package and other treatments were available (on the expensive side).
Staff are very attentive and friendly.
This is a small and intimate property.
The highway noise and air traffic were the major detractors.

Room tip: ask for a room as far away from the highway as possible and with a view
Reviewed January 17, 2018

Loved this place and I would definitely go back.

Pros
- The mountain views were humbling and surreal
- Great for solo travelers. I came for NYE and I left with many new FB friends!
- The yoga hut had a real outdoor feel and was likely the best one I've been to
- The owners (Bob & Jill) had great vibes and speak English since they are from the US
- The owners hosted a great new year's ceremony that was really special
- Food is very healthy and tasty. You can buy wine and beer
- Hammocks are everywhere and this was a great place to reset my intentions
- Very interesting wellness treatments. I tried my first treatment with Tanya and it was great
- I didn't try the excursions, but my new friends really enjoyed them

Cons (These weren't that bad, but I'm just including to give a fair review)
- Walls are thin, so you may have trouble if you are a light sleeper
- Bit pricey, but comparable to other yoga locations in Costa. It may be cheaper to Uber
- If you're into partying and staying up late, this isn't the place for you. Most of us went to bed by 9 (which was amazing for me :)

Room tip: I enjoyed the Vino room - It's right in the front and convenient
Reviewed January 16, 2018

Pura Vida Indeed...... The Good Life!

Some friends and I came for the 5-day detox to start 2018, with a day on both sides to help settle into the place.

The location is convenient, the space is cozy. The help trods slowly up and down the stairs to provide you with the best of services in a very Costa Rica location.

Jill and Bob open "their home" to strangers with the ease of taking in a breathe then exhale new friends every few days...... Everyone has a job, including you, RELAX.

Really UNPLUG for the greatest benefit-

The noise of the "jake brakes" seems a fair trade for the convenience of the location.
The zip-line and the waterfall excursions are a must. The occasional long-legged creatures are a reminder that YOU are in the jungle. The food is generous and purposeful, not to mention beautiful. Jill shares her life's work very graciously with your best interest in mind. Bob is responsive and Professional. The cooks/housekeeping and managers are top notch.

The yoga will remind you to just slow down and listen. The studio at Amatierra is really the only reason to bring your electronics for a quick photo of the amazing mind clearing space. After some much needed time in the hammock, I came up with a plan for less self-improvement and more self-love. Also, the realization that we all could ponder, I am no greater than or less than anyone.

I left after 7 days with new friends and a new outlook.
Amateirra is one fine "Essential Oiled" machine.

For some brownie points - Bring em' a new deck of cards and give Bob your best cribbage game - he could use some practice. LOL

• Trip type: Traveled with friends