“Superb Hosts”

Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Pablo
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Ama Tierra in January 2012 for a week and we were very happy with our choice. Bob and Jill did an extraordinary job of making us feel at home and welcome. They have created a wonderful retreat center. We allowed ourselves to slow way down, and enjoy the variety of healing treatments offered...excellent massage, exfolliation scrub, meditation, yoga, singing bowls, all in the forest with nature surrounding us. The food was exceptional, and I have never been anywhere I was happier with the healthy, tasty fresh food. We enjoyed our visits with Bob every evening about his background in the music industry amongst many other fun topics, and Jill's music was a highlight on a few occasions. Also, Jill's expertise with herbs and acupuncture were very helpful. The yoga pavilion is a stunning and sacred place, sure to inspire anyone. We enjoyed the chance to get to know a variety of other guests over dinner each evening. We also really enjoyed Bob's music collection while we were spending time in the lobby each evening.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room close to the main building if you have trouble with stairs or are out of shape...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center

Reviewed March 30, 2012

This is the perfect place to relax and just be. Surrounded by Nature you soon become immersed in the beauty & peace Ama Tierra has to offer. It is a wonderful to give classes, receive treatments & let go of all the baggage we carry around. The organic meals each outdid the last one - you can tell the cooks love what they do. The staff is very attentive & ready to help out in any way they can. Thank you to Jill, Bob, Steven, Chase & all the wonderful staff. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Bottom rooms have a great feeling of being in the midst of Nature. Top rooms less steps to climb (pe...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My mom and I traveled to Ama Tierra in September 2011 for a much-needed retreat. We were looking for a quiet place to rejuvenate, and Ama Tierra provided more than we could have imagined. The place and the services were extraordinary, but I would especially like to compliment Bob and Jill on creating a healing space. We felt spoiled and pampered in a very caring and loving way, and I simply cannot imagine a more perfect place for reflection and connection. This was food for the soul. One last note...we went during the rainy season and it was GORGEOUS and magical, so don't let the idea of low season deter you. It's a completely different experience, and we thought an even more encouraging time for healing. We LOVED our experience here and count it as a blessing in our memory banks.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2012

After a long couple of years, I was due for a yoga retreat style vacation. I had heard good things about Ama Tierra and decided to book. Bob and Jill are the perfect hosts for the week and make sure that your stay is everything you expect. From day trips, spa treatments and food, all taken care of with great thoughts and perfect planning. The food, I have never eaten so well, ever, such great fresh fish, fruit,vegetables and desserts. I had 2 massages and facial with Issabella, a food sensitivity test and chakra / stomach massage with Jill which were relaxing, therapeutic and Jill's food test, extremely close to right on the mark. In my stay at AT, there was a yoga instructor named Chase who was staying there for a while and split the teaching schedule with Jill. They were great classes all around. I am not a great review writer, but I felt that I neede to express my experience at Ama Tierra. It was the trip I needed at the time I needed it

Room Tip: I had menta, but I think they are basically the same
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CTGuy-62
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I loved it and I will cherish the amazing memories for a very very long time to come.

This was my first solo trip and naturally a bit nervous but the minute I stepped into Ama Tierra I knew I had nothing to worry about. Jill and Bob(owners) make you feel right at home! The staff are courteous, attentive and nice, particularly Steven (Esteban). He really made my stay more special. He's helpful, informative and very kind. The rooms are basic but clean and spacious with comfortable beds. Although I had prepared myself for any type of bugs or/and species in the room(just b/c of the location)I did not encounter any. The food is superb, all organic and locally sourced. You get to eat in a beautiful terrace with an amazing view and other guests(from all over the world, interesting and like-minded). The yoga studio is out of this world and picture does not do justice. The whole aura of the place is magical and peaceful. I wished I had more time to stay there but I had purchased the 6 day "jungle to the sea" package so had to leave after just 3 days although the second portion of the trip was as nice but I wished I could have stayed longer. I got to meet so many nice people. Got the best massages from Isabel and Jill. If you're looking to unwind, relax and do nothing but to pamper yourself or if you're looking to feel balanced and connected again, this is the place for you. This trip was very tranforming for me. I felt completely rejuvenated, relaxed and inspired. Thank you so much Jill and Bob for the amazing experience!

Room Tip: I think they're all comparable and decent. I stayed at Olivo and liked it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank PersianG48
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I just returned to Florida after a 8 day stay at Ama Tierra. I have to let everyone know who may be considering a stay at Ama Tierra that you "must" make this your destination in Costa Rica. This resort had a feeling of a family home where you felt welcome from day one. The accomadations were beautiful. The service and food were even better! I have to thank my host and hostess Bob and Jill Ruttenberg for their hospitality and knowledge of this beautiful country. I also had many wonderful wellness treatments while at the resort which included a Full Moon Ceremony that I will never forget. I look forward to another visit to this lovely establishment in the future with my family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DLamapola
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Amatierra- love of the earth is the perfect name for this gem of a
retreat. Tucked away high up in the hills overlooking a vast lush
jungle filled with wildlife and exotic sounds is the setting for this
beautiful ecological paradise. Coming from a filthy noisy concrete
jungle, this was just what my husband and I needed to really get away
from it all and focus on ourselves and each other. It was also very
healing to focus on the beauty of the natural world and all its hidden
treasures. Our vacation was a nice balance/ mixture between
relaxation, reading on the hammock or by the pool, yoga while monkeys
watched us from the trees, meditation at dusk, massages and energy
work with days of adventure (zip-lining, beach, nature walks through
the rainforest and gorgeous waterfalls). The food was very healthy and
delicious! The owners Bob and Jill created a warm and friendly
environment for their guests and definitely attract interesting and
creative people. We had great conversations with folks we met and lots
of musical evenings with different artists visiting the retreat. With
Jill at the piano or playing her guitar, the place was filled with
music, laughter and an energy that can't be described in words- you'll
just have to experience it for yourself! You will thank yourself for the gift of
this heavenly place on earth. Pura Vida!

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and Nature Reserve
Barons Resort
Barons Resort
#2 of 4 in Atenas

Been to Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center? Share your experiences!