“Don't fall into the trap!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn at Mulberry Grove

Inn at Mulberry Grove
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Port Wentworth
Canton, GA
“Don't fall into the trap!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

While this hotel is cheap, it is not worth it. It is far from Savannah and had horrible service. While Savannah is only 8.2 miles away, it involves a trip through the bad side of town and takes about 20-25 minutes. Our air went out in the room overnight. We tried to call the front desk numerous times and did not receive an answer.

The breakfast was horrible. The room was too small, there was a hair in our biscuit, the biscuits were ice cold, the food itself was horrible. There was nothing worth staying at this hotel for. The walls were paper thin, we heard noise every time someone went down the steps. We booked two nights with high hopes, and ended up cancelling our 2nd night (without a refund) to stay at another hotel...which was 3 times the price, but worth the money. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Don't let the good reviews written by the hotel staff fool you.

• Liked — Checking-out
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

We were coming to Savannah for a July 5th wedding. The bride's family had booked several rooms at this hotel for Friday night only. Since we had never been to Savannah, we deceided we would travel down on the 3rd of July, so as to have an extra day to sightsee, and enjoy some of the restaurants. I called the Mulberry Grove in Port Wentworth, and spoke with Donna. Told her that we were considering coming a day earlier, and inquired whether or not she had rooms. She said she had plenty of rooms for Thursday night, and that availability would not be a problem. Asked if she needed a credit card to hold the room, but she said no, since there was planty of space available. Told me if we changed our mind and decided not to come on Thursday to call her "sometime on the 3rd and let her know". We drove the five hours to Port Wentworth, with our three small children, adn arrived at the hotel. It was basically an old Days Inn with new paint. On top of this, they has no pool for the kids. Since we were paying for this night, and not the bridal party, we decided to look around the area for a more suitable hotel for the kids. We drove closer into Savannah (Mulberry Grove is several exits away from downtown Savannah), and found several wonderful hotel choices, all with pools for the kids. On top of the much nicer amenities, the cost was cheaper than Mulberry Grove. Once we decided on a hotel, I called Donna at Mulberry Grove, and told her that we had decided to stay closer to savannah and have a pool for the kids. She apparently didn't like this information and she proceded to tell me that she was going to charge me anyway, because I didn't give her enough notice. (Although she said call her sometime that day, so I was fullfilling her request). I told her she didn't have my credit card info, becasue she tols me there was plenty of room available, and she didn't need it. She then told ne she was going to charge the brides credit card number for this night!!!! Told her she couldn't do that, it was my reservation, not the brides. She replied "I will do it anyway". Couldn't believe the unprofessionalism with this lady. Beware of this hotel, especially the front desk people (i.e. Donna). If you are just picking this exit to stay, go across the street and choose one of the other hotels, don't waste your time or money with Mulberry Grove Inn in Port Wentworth. There is nothing to "write home about" concerning this hotel, unless you are detailing the fraudulent means they use to get your money!

• Liked — That we didn't stay there!
  • Disliked — Donna at the front desk!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Bulldogfansfromsc

Travelers are raving about these Port Wentworth hotels

chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

The Hotel was okay,we stayed for three nights. our room walls had stains on them and a poorly done makeover job. Our biggest issue was with the thinnest walls you could imagine, there was a VERY loud couple in the room next to us and you could hear them every word they said and they kept smoking in front of our room and the smoke went right from the outside to the inside. The rooms were alright but not extrmemly clean. This hotel doesnt seem to value its customers repeat buisness because i left something and they did find it and are returning it to me with an added charge of 5.00 for having to move their butts to look for it. i dont mind paying for the cod but there was no good explanation as to why they added 5.00. Well its costing them alot more than that inconvenience charge as i will make sure to post this all over the web review sites and i will never stay there again. do yourself a favor book at a bigger chain with higher standards and a corporate office so that way if you have problems they will be resolved. I can guarantee you that here is you have a problem your just gonna have to deal with it. we would have left the first night but they had already had our credit card charged and i know it would have not been refunded.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2008

The Inn at Mulberry Grove was awesome!!!! The staff was SUPERB, nice hot breakfast every morning and if you need something, all you have to do is ask. My girlfriends and I planned a nice three-day trip.What was cool, was that the Trolley tour came to the hotel.So we basically spent our days paying no parking. We took the trolley, went in town, saw the sights, shopped and then went back to the hotel.So,by the evenings we could go back downtown, driving on our own and not having to pay parking(parking after 5:30pm in Savannah is free). The only parking we ever paid for the entire trip, was when we went to the beach. You won't regret staying here, the money was worth it! Awesome,Awesome,Awesome!

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Atlanta GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

I have no idea why anybody would complain about this motel. It was one of the nicest I've ever stayed in. I travel sometimes for my company, and they put us up in very nice 4 star hotels...the room at Mulberry Grove made me think I was in one of those 4 star hotels. Very new, very nice, and very comfortable...not to mention affordable. Booking online, I paid about $65 a night for my 2 night stay.

Some of the reviewers complained about the noise from the truck stop across the street. With the curtains closed, and A/C running on low, I didn't hear anything outside. And remember, this isn't a 4 star hotel, it's a roadside motel right off the highway.

I was in town to tour Savannah with my parents and grandparents, and my room was much nicer than the hotel they stayed in a mile down the street. Not to mention $35 less a night.

Do not listen to the negative reviews, they have it all wrong. I agree with all of the positive reviews I have read here.

• Liked — Nice, new, modern, comfortable room.
  • Disliked — The bed was so comfy, I always missed the free breakfast!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

This Inn was way more than I ever expected it to be. The room was updated, clean and full of everything we needed. Breakfast was over the top and the location was PERFECT! This has to be one of the best places we ever stayed out. Only paid $65 a night and felt like we were staying at a palace for the price we paid. The staff is very helpful! Smells new! I highly recommend this place!

• Liked — Price! Location! Decorations! Breakfast!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ApRiLBuG
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2008

My other half got confused with another property in downtown Savannah and that is how I found this hotel. The price was perfect as was the location. Due to an event in Savannah that weekend the hotels were asking a Kings ransom and multi nights stays where required. I booked the two rooms we needed, then I looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor which concerned me. I travel for business and I have quite high standards and I have been spoiled by Priceline rates. My father checked in first and he is also a spoiled traveler. He was very pleased with his room and the two queen beds we were promised at the rate we were promised. When I checked in everything went smoothly. His room with two queens was of a nice size, ours with one queen was a tad small but the bed was comfie, the room was clean, and all the little amenities where there. Breakfast was very nice. If you are a late sleeper this may not be the place for you, the walls are thin so to speak. The cable channel offerings were quite complete.We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — value and location
  • Disliked — noise carries
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family