Inn at Mulberry Grove
Savannah Inn(Port Wentworth)
$55
$64
$60
All reviewsroom was cleanwaffleslow pricebiscuits and gravyeasy drivewaffle makerstaff was friendlycontinental breakfastfront desk clerkcereallinensexitsacmilesinterstate
Reviewed March 19, 2008

My husband and I went to Savannah to get married, after shopping around I found this hotel. It seemed to be a nice place at a reasonable rate. I booked 3 nights at this hotel for a total price of $407.00 for a King room. I booked through Orbitz and my receipt said that I wouldnt be charged until Check in or check out. Since I booked several weeks in advance I wanted to be sure that I wouldnt be charged on my debit card until i checked in. I called and spoke with the manager, who assured me that I wouldnt be charged until I checked into the hotel. Two friends that would be attending my wedding also booked at this hotel. I called the manager at this hotel and confirmed all of our reservations and checked the room types and rates. Apparently the rates are made up as they go. Because the manager quoted me 129.98 for Friday night 139.98 for saturday night. When I called back to double check everything I was quoted a rate of 99.00 a night. When I questioned this, I was told that I couldnt have the cheaper rate because of the day that I booked which was 3 weeks earlier. Anyway, I accepted that I had to take the higher rate, and that Sunday when I went to make a large purchase with my debit card, It was declined. Yes, the hotel had told me just on Friday that my card wouldnt be charged 407.00 until I checked in and on Sunday my card had been charged. I called the hotel and talked with Andy the owner. He was very nice and said that for some reason I had been charged for 4 nights instead of 3, which was wierd since I knew that the 3 nights was $407.00. When I questioned this he said that he didnt know anything and would have to have the manager call me back. When she called me back she said that he was wrong and they were sorry that they charged my card. But it had been done, so we moved on excited about our trip. When we arrived at the hotel, check in was fine, although the desk clerk was very unfriendly the manager met me at the desk and was very nice, she gave me the keys to my room. When we got to our room, I was suprised by how small it was. We did have a king room, but there wasnt even room for us to pass each other in the room, The room has very nice decor, beds were comfortable and it was very clean but the size of the room was ridiculous, and the walls are so thin, I could hear every word the man in the room next to me said and I know he could hear me. I also had to take cold showers on both Saturday and Sunday, apparently everyone in the hotel was taking showers at the same time. But to top it off more of our friends came in and stayed at the country inn and suites right behind our hotel and paid a lot less money for a much nicer room.

Saturday night the power went out in three counties. And we knew it was going to be out all night. This was our honeymoon, and we wanted a place that had lights and airconditioning. Several of our wedding guest that were staying in different hotels, decided to get credit for their rooms that night and drive to a place that had power. All of their hotels glady offered them refunds and they were on their way, when we went to see if we could check out and get credit for the night, the management would hear of it and would do nothing to make it right. They wouldnt even open the door of the lounge so that we could check out. It was completely ridiculous and this hotel alone ruined my Honeymoon.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sctravelgirl0623
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I will make this short and sweet. I have stayed at many hotels and this was one of the best. The rooms are beautiful, quiet and the price was not bad. We plan on staying their again in about another month. I would have my friends and family stay here. We stayed there with our three children and still had plenty of room.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank cobrma0617
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I wasn't aware that the rooms would be soooo small. I had a room with a king sized bed, which is what I asked for but the room was so smaill that it hurt to watch tv in bed...it was just that close. Also, the walls are paper thin. My husband and I listen to man in the other room snore all night long. I got no sleep. We checked out the next day and check in at the country suites across the street.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Surprising a cute little place for the price. The staff was very friendly and the room was spotless. We went for a quick cheap weekend and would stay here anytime over any other econo place. The breakfast was the only disappointment.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2007

DO NOT STAY AT THE INN AT MULBERRY GROVE! First of all, I am not an angry person and I have spent several hundred nights at hotels all around the world so I've seen almost everyrthing - until I checked into this motel. I was led to stay at the Inn at Mulberry Grove because of reviews on Trip Advisor so I feel compelled to provide other readers with candid information about this hotel. Customer service at the Inn at Mulberry Grove is horrible...especially considering that it is a small MOTEL, with TINY rooms, across the street from a loud, busy truck stop.

My experience almost mirrors that of another guest. I was visiting Savannah (which is about 10 MILES away) with my wife for a romantic weekend and booked a king size room. I too called the hotel to verify my reservation and room type. Upon arrival, I checked in and was given my key. When I got to the room, I was surprised that it was an extremely small double room. Having experienced this before at other hotels, I went back to the lobby and informed the attendant that I was mistakenly given a double room as opposed to the king room that I reserved. She informed me that all the king rooms were booked with the exception of a room with a jacuzzi. She informed me that I could pay double the rate that I was paying and get that room. After continuously saying that there was nothing she could do, and saying that I didn't get my room type because I booked my room on the Internet, I began to plead for her to call the owner. The owner (via phone) concurred that there was nothing that they could or would do for me (even though there was a king room available) and that I could leave. The owner told me that he would find another place for me to stay - which he did. However, it wasn't a favor as the place would be at a higher rate and he wouldn't pay the difference. After I told him that my wife hated chain hotels (which is why we were at his inn) and we didn't want to stay there, the OWNER told me that I couldn't stay at his hotel because he didn't like me and thought that I might be a problem.

I have never been told that I could not stay at hotel because I wanted what I reserved and stood my ground. If there had not been another king room available, I would not have been so bothered, but there was a king room available. At the end of the day, you should not stay here because your room type is not guaranteed. You should not stay here because management cares nothing about making up for their mistakes - The owner was rude and hung up in my face during our conversation. You should not stay here because booking via the Internet guarantees you nothing.

Again, I was led to stay at the Inn at Mulberry Grove because of reviews on Trip Advisor. There are other, better hotels closer to Savannah with a better staff and more willingness to work with people on vacation. Don't let the manager's response comments sway you into staying there like they did me. Find somewhere else to stay. Don't have your wife or husband say, we should have listened to that guy on Trip Advisor. Find somewhere else to stay, you might have to anyway like I did.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrtotalpackage
tarasbrats, Marketing Consultant at Inn at Mulberry Grove, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2007

Thousands of guests love Inn at Mulberry Grove. But even for this one unhappy guest, the owner wants to apologize for an unpleasant experience. He has taken measures to correct quickly mentioned issues, including conducting customer service training and correcting online booking issues (which were at the core of overbooked KING rooms). In contrast to this reviewer's opinion, many guests appreciate having gas -- some of the area's most affordable -- conveniently right across the street. The brand new $3.5M hotel, right on I-95, featuring custom, decorator furnishings is not a cheap motel, except in the affordable cost to the guest.