“Absolutely fantastic museum everyone should visit!”

National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Pooler
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force preserves the stories of courage, character and patriotism displayed by the men and women of the Eighth Air Force from World War II to present.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I planned a few days in the Savannah area on a trip to Florida. I was thrilled to find our hotel right next door to this museum. Immediately upon entering we were greeted by a volunteer who explained the background of the museum to us. Once we paid our (very nominal) admission to the museum we entered into a different world that immersed us into what was mostly world war II information and displays. To see an almost 100% restored B-29, The City of Savannah, inside the museum was phenomenal. My wife is not a fan of these types of museums but even she had a great time. We spent over 5 hours in this museum having arrived shortly before lunch time and honestly did not get to see everything before closing. If you have a relative that served in WWII they can hook you up with info on their service. Thanks Veterans!

2  Thank MJSLQ
in 18 reviews
"flying fortress"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed August 22, 2013

What a wonderful stop and a well done museum. I encountered the museum after seeing the B-47 from I-95 and had to stop in while I was on a two week visit to Savannah for business. I was surprised how well done the museum is and what great exhibits were in place. I was impressed with the museum's B-17 and the work being done on it. You should definitely visit.

1  Thank JonSC
Reviewed August 22, 2013

While on our trip to Hilton Head Island, we decided to take a break from the beach and spend the morning in Savannah. On the way home we wanted some cool AC and had often seen this museum advertised along I-95. What a great experience! Anyone with an interest in aviation or history will enjoy a stop here. The exhibits are beautiful and very informative. There are airplanes both inside and out. The memorial gardens and chapel outside are not to be missed. The stained glass windows in the chapel were absolutely beautiful. My favorite part was a room talking about all the people who had risked their lives to protect pilots shot down during WW2 (as well as others). Many of them gave their lives to do what they thought was right. The museum is staffed by many retired military personnel. They were very informative and eager to talk to all visitors. This museum is under and hour from HHI and Savannah and is a nice break from the heat or for a rainy day.

1  Thank spdwain
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was one of the highlights of our 10 day trip to Gettysburg and Savannah. The generation of men and women that served in WWII are highlighted in this fantastic display of our history. Definitely worth the trip. We spent about 3 hours touring the exhibits and honoring the service of these men and women.

2  Thank Madeline D
See more reviews
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This museum is so well done and so organized. Upon entering there was a docent that explained the museum and the history of the mighty eight. The rotunda area has scaled down replicated models of several planes with busts of high ranking officers of the time. The fee is 10 dollars for adults, 5 for children I believe from ages 6-12 are 6 dollars. AARP, Seniors and retired military are $9. WWII veterans are free. Active military is $6. The museum begins at the beginning of the events of WWII and goes through the final declaration of the end of the war. There are videos in several areas with actual depictions of events that began, in specific the start of the war involving England. There is also a video of the interior of a B 17, telling the story of a gunnery soldier. There is an actual B 17 plane in the main area which also houses side exhibits to include several memorabilia of the bomber groups, the different factions of the mighty 87th and also an exhibit of the Tuskegee airmen. There is ALOT to read and to really see this museum and experience all that it has to offer, take several hours to go through it. There is a guide that explains the path an believe me it is worth seeing. There was so much to see, so much to experience and whats neat is even young children will marvel over what is there. There is a booth that people and children can go into in the same area of the plane that simulates air combat. This museum is located in Pooler Georgia so from Savannah its about a half hour. There is a café there too so if you want to eat there before, after or during your trip you can. I believe you can re enter once you leave the main museum to eat but just check for sure. I was very impressed with the care and the honor paid to our service members in these exhibits and was humbled at the harsh reality of that time, the debt that I owe to these soldiers and the world that this museum introduced me to. Great place and experience.

2  Thank shunkins