“Reminder of WWII heroism”

National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Pooler
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force preserves the stories of courage, character and patriotism displayed by the men and women of the Eighth Air Force from World War II to present.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our family has made many visits to this museum over the years. Our grandson is an aviation buff and is interested to see so many actual airplanes displayed there. Dotted throughout the museum are TV screens and theaters that give the history of the Mighty 8th and its role in WWII. Some of the information given, like death rates for the young pilots and crew members, always make me sad, but it's important for the young people today to understand the sacrifices that were made in that conflict. Outside the museum is a garden with many monuments to the various crews as well as a chapel (with rest rooms).

The main exhibition space was designed to be big enough to display the B17 which is the process of being restored. It just barely fits! Membership at one of the highest levels entitles 4 people to a guided tour of this plane inside and out. You have to arrange it well in advance of your visit. We did this and found it extremely interesting.

All reviews
in 18 reviews
"flying fortress"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This should be a stop on a trip to Savannah! My son (aged 5) and I spent an afternoon here, but I could have spent all day. He really liked the real airplanes and all the models.

1  Thank JCKelsey
Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was a rainy day, so we decided to revisit the museum. It was full of families, and others. Even some young children seemed to enjoy the fighter plane movies and the displays. You don't need to be a WWII buff to enjoy the museum. Each time I go, I learn a new nugget of information.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Boys will be boys. Well, there were fly girls too, I guess. This was not something I really enjoyed but I can't deny the museum itself was impressive. Lots of hands on stuff. Lots of artifacts. For someone who enjoys aviation I would put this on your "must stop" list for Savannah.