“If you like a history, you will have a treat! Also great for homeschoolers field trip”

National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Pooler
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force preserves the stories of courage, character and patriotism displayed by the men and women of the Eighth Air Force from World War II to present.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 14, 2012

My husband, son and I decided spend the night in Pooler, to visit the Mighty Eight. I have to say, in my opinion the did a very good job putting the Museum together. There ate several "stations" and you cam spend all day reading about our brave men (and women) on WWII.
They have
Mini presentations that are very moving, I caught myself cleaning tears few times. The airplanes in restoration are amazing and all the clothing, accessories, machinery, etc. Are in great shape! Also there are several veterans that are volunteers so you can actually talk to them about their experiences. My son loved. It was a great field trip and a treat for my hubby and I. They are close to many hotels and restaurants right next to I-95, in Pooler, GA. If you prefer, they have their own restaurant (Sophia's) which is very convenient and prices are decent with good choices. Definitely recommend!

1  Thank Ilovetotravel211
"history buff"
in 19 reviews
"savannah area"

Reviewed December 24, 2011

This museum is geared more for the display and presentation of the artifacts worn and used by by the men and women associated with the Eighth Air Force during WW II, than to the technology of the aircraft of that era. Gives very good ensight to the lives at the time and what went on during "typical" days of the war. Short films deliver information about several specific topics of the war efforts of Great Britian and America. Visitor greaters in the loby give an short overview of the facility as well as the history of the Eighth Air Force. Well worth the visit. Would plan on a visit of 2 to 3 hours in length. Conviently located off of I-95 in Pooler, Georgia.

Reviewed December 24, 2011

I'd seen a huge plane from I-95 and finally was curious enough to stop. Unfortunately, I didn't have as much time as I needed to really get the full impact of it -- the tour took two hours and I arrived just an hour before closing -- so had to rush through, but I did see a great deal. There's an auditorium-like room filled with assorted planes. You can read the history of World War II along the walls, although the pictures themselves tell the whole story. I went through that section quickly, then as I was ready to go into the large room with the planes was told about three short films -- one explained the duties/lives of the mechanical crew (one assigned to each plane) that kept them in working repair; the second was a "briefing" by a pilot outlining the mission; the third was an actual bombing run over Nazi Germany, complete with multiple viewscreens, lights and sound effects -- when the bomb doors opened, a blast of cold air hit me in the face. Outside is a memorial garden (very moving) and a replica of one of the many English churches that covered the countryside of East Anglia, where the Mighty 8th was based: the stained glass windows are especially moving. The whole experience, rushed as it was for me, was well worth the stop and I wished I'd been able to really take the time to see it as it was meant to be seen. This is a MUST SEE. And if you've got kids who are bored with school, who knows? They might actually get interested in history. It's very well presented and you really get a feel for the period, with lots of information besides. (Did you know that the Ford Motor Company actually built one of these bombers in one hour??? Of course, after the reporters/congressmen left, they quietly hooked up the electrics, but the plane did go into combat.)

Reviewed December 17, 2011

The museum is organized well and run by volunteers, some of which not only served in the 8th, but were happy to share their stories with those browsing the exhibits. The museum is well worth your time and is very easy to get to. 8th AF vet and museum volunteer Bud Porter gave my wife and I a personal tour of the museum as we happened to buy our tickets as he was chatting with the cashier. He was incredibly nice, knowledgeable and energetic. His stories were colorful, entertaining and very real. He was one person we will not soon forget from our trip to Savannah. This museum was one of the highlights of our Savannah vacation.