“Will avoid Cheddars in the future”

Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen
Ranked #12 of 128 Restaurants in Pooler
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just had a Cheddars up in our hometown, and we had been there - so we kinda knew what to expect. It was very loud, they really need to come up with a better system of seating people.. "SO and SO party of 5" "SMITH party of 4" over a loud speaker over and over, not to mention the poor girl on the speaker sounded like she was ready to be off work hours ago. Food was ok, waiter was ok, our drinks didn't get refilled. Truthfully, we would've by-passed Cheddars here too, but there isn't much in the area.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This review is based on my dining experience at Cheddars Casual Cafe from Friday August 9, 2013.

My wife and I were traveling from Daytona Beach to Durham, Nc and stopped in Pooler, Ga on Friday night around 9:30 pm as a way point on the trip. Cheddars Casual Cafe had been listed in Consumer Reports as one of the best chain restaurant chains in the country - we wanted to give it a try.

The dress code is casual, duh, look at the name. Ok, so just show up in clothes and you will fit right in.

The lady at the reception desk of the hotel we were staying in told us that the place is cram packed so we might have a problem getting in, but I guess at this time of the night it was winding down and we got seated right away.

The prices are reasonable and the quality is exceptional. We started with onion rings which are served as a pyramid of lightly floured rings that rise about a foot high.

I had fish and my wife had ribs.

There was too much food for our stomachs. That is, we thought were were really hungry, but the restaurant said did you say you were, what, hungry? We will show you how to fix that.

Don't miss this restaurant.

1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Great place food was great and service was awesome! Location was right across from hotel "Embassy Suites".

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We've been in town for a few days and drive past Cheddar's on way to hotel every day. No matter what time of day we pass, we notice that this restaurant is always packed! Figuring it must be good, we decided we'd head over today (Sunday, August 4) for lunch. We noted the family style atmosphere of the restaurant, how bright and cheery the layout was and seemingly endless stream of customers. Is this an assembly line?! Despite the numerous cars in the parking lot, we were seated immediately. Now I believe in prompt service, but our server was on us before we even got our butts in the seats asking if we were ready to order drinks and/or appetizers! We hadn't had a chance to even look at the menus so we just ordered waters and asked she give us a couple of minutes. She again was back in less than 5 minutes with our water asking again if we were ready to order. I thought may be she's about to get off and wants to make sure that we count as one of her tables (having waited tables, I know at times this is what servers do to help offset a bad "tip" day). My husband was so I quickly looked over the menu and selected the chicken fried steak. My side items were the mashed potatoes and the broccoli casserole. My husband ordered the ribs with the baked beans and cole slaw. She disappeared with our orders, not making much small talk.
Our food came out in about 10-15 minutes and it was steamy hot! The ribs looked ready to fall off the bone (they say they cook them for 4 hours) and we noted that they put the sauce on the underside of the ribs. The cole slaw was a bit dry and bland but it was definitely fresh. The beans were quite good my husband said. While my chicken fried steak was good, there was nothing outstanding about it. I've definitely had better. The mashed potatoes were tasty, creamy and smooth with just enough skin on the potatoes to let you think they are homemade. The broccoli casserole was really good. It was fresh and cheesy, just the right ratio of cheese and broccoli "trees". Overall the food was good but this is a chain and so it was definitely a chain feel about it.
We might have been a little more happier if our server had been the least bit friendly. Instead we felt rushed to order, our dinner ,and our glasses were never refilled, rushed to eat before we even finished are dinner, she brought our check to the table and said, "Let me know if you want boxes or dessert." Uh, how about coming over and asking how everything was, or would we like some more water. How about telling us if we pay you or is there a cashier. How about giving us a dessert menu or telling us what the desserts are being offered instead of just laying the bill down on the table and walking away. This girl definitely doesn't need to be working in the public service area!
I hate to down any restaurant and wouldl more than likely try the chain again if come across it, but will not be back to this one! Lousy service does not help mediocre food.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I came in to eat on a Sunday afternoon. It was incredibly busy, but I was able to sit at a table in the bar with no waiting. There were great specials on drinks in the bar. I ordered the spicy chicken wrap and was very surprised to get so much food at such a great price! I ad enough leftovers for dinner the next night. Service was good in the bar, too. Will definitely return to eat here when I plan another trip to Savannah. There were lots of menu items I'd like to try.

1  Thank vegasteach