“Not sure what we expected”

Cricket's Restaurant
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Chalet type structure in quaint wooded setting2 miles west of Pine Mountain at 14661 Ga Hwy 18
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We read all the reviews and then decided to try for ourselves. This was our first and our last visit to this restaurant. I ordered the grilled shrimp with corn and green beans. When the shrimp arrived I saw immediately that it was not deveined. I simply could not eat the shrimp that had not been cleaned. Kandi our waitress offered to get me fried shrimp she said they do devein those. I explained that I could not eat fried foods so instead she brought me grilled chicken. It was just average nothing special. The corn was cajun seasoned and not done. Kandi explained to us that stewed corn was cooked a long time and seasoned. The corn was not stewed or cooked a long time. It may have been tossed in a pan with some seasoning thrown in and then plated but that was the extent of it. The green beans had some flavor but again nothing really special. My husband also had the chicken-nothing special. It was food overpriced and over hyped.

1  Thank DBWillard

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This restaurant was off the beaten path and didn't look very fancy. It was casual and had the best catfish I have ever eaten. It was battered and fried with an almandine sauce. They had other wonderful sounding entrees as well. I recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1  Thank Whereaboutster
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We rode by early in the day to see if a menu was posted, it wasn't. Made a reservation, arrived 10 minutes early and waited 5 minutes to be seated though there were available tables. Noticed on the way to our table that there were 4 BIG tables, 12 plus people per table , 3 of the tables appeared to be locals. That being said it was understandable that it took 45 minutes for our food to be served. Our server was very apologetic and kept our drinks full, salads and bread were on table within 10 minutes. The food was good not great but compared to the menu and prices at the Lodge and Spa I was not disappointed. Serving size was too much for me especially when I had eaten too much bread, would have been enough for another meal.
We had no complaints about the service. The building was obvious from the beginning, Pine Mt. is not an upscale destination and I've had wonderful food in worse environments. If you live in the south cobwebs (spider nests) on the outside of windows are no big deal.
The only complaint I had that night was there is a heavy presence of grease in the air. I don't know if this is normal or whether their filter needed changing.
I would try it again.

1  Thank luvgoing
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Pine Mountain Club resort which is located right next to the restaurant.

My family and I are always up for a good adventure and look for small family places that are recommended by locals as they often turn out to be some of the greatest gems!!

Not Crickets! Very sketch on the inside and the ambiance was just, well, weird and not friendly at all. And it all started when my kids saw the cook or a sorry excuse for one getting food from a freezer out back. Menus were old and dirty. Tables and chairs were leftover from a banquet hall with vinyl table cloths that we used to use when we went camping.
Server was horrible. Not knowledgeable or would not approach the table. Wine list is not well thought out! And food took forever and only (3) tables in whole place were occupied. Food came and was nasty frozen and over cooked. Then came the lady choking 3 tables away that freaked the whole place out! Thank God she began to breathe after Heimlich!! This is like the worst episode of Restaurant Impossible, Bar rescue, and Kitchen Nightmares all in one place! Oh and owners, wake up and care!! I would love to take this place and turn it around cause it would be tops here in Pine Mountain! Oh and bathrooms were hot and nasty!!

3  Thank RestoBrand
Reviewed July 9, 2013

While staying at Callaway Gardens, we decided to venture away from Callaway and find somewhere else to have dinner. The Cricket advertised steak and seafood, so we decided to stop. The food wasn't too bad, though my husband's steak had a lot of fat. The restaurant is in an old, run-down building that looks like it may have once been a house or a trailer. The furnishings were just fold out tables with table clothes, which seemed kind of low budget for a $60 meal. It was kind of creepy with cobwebs on the outside of the windows and a view of the woods. While finishing up our meal, we saw a roach crawling on the chair at the table next to us. We decided not to have dessert.

2  Thank RhondaK01