“Just okay”

The Bakery and Cafe at Rose Cottage
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013

While the food was tasty our server, Mary, was slow to come to our table, even though the restaurant was not even close to full (1:30pm on a Monday). I know that there is often more behind the scenes than we diners can see so that was but a very small annoyance. When my mother asked what was in the flax crackers the server gave her a blank stare and said I don't know. After looking blankly at her for a moment, my mother interrupted her stare with the question " would you mind finding out for me? Not only was that strange service from the server but also took away our desire to buy anything from the bakery or gift shop. Actually we did consider a dessert but since they were out of everything but one dessert out of four desserts we went across the street to Bon vivant to get our dessert there.

We ate the chicken avocado salad (Cobb) which was tasty but should have asked for mixed greens instead of that romain mix. And the roast beef sandwich, and salad with shallot tomato vinaigrette, also tasty, and great portion. I recommend the ginger lemonade as well!

There are newer reviews for The Bakery and Cafe at Rose Cottage

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

This venue has been many restaurants over the years, none finer than the present iteration. The combination bakery and bistro with an accent on excellent South African wines is a pearl in rural Georgia. But, then so is Pine Mtn, but that's another story. We have a vacation home in the area and frequent the Rose Cottage, especially when we have guests. It is small, charming, often busy (be patient - you will be rewarded), and a fine start to an afternoon exploring local antique shops etc. if you're in the area, it is well worth a diversion.

1  Thank William H
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A quaint cafe with amazing food. My husband and I decided we wanted to see the "town" near Callaway Gardens, and stumbled upon the Cafe for our brunch. I ordered the tradition Easter meal, which was anything but traditional. It was fabulous! Turkey, smoked pig belly(tastes like ham, smells like bacon :) mashed potatoes with gravy, and sauteed brussel sprouts which were delicious! My husband had the veal scallopini, on a biscuit with two poached eggs and spinach. We both ate everything, and had no room for dessert. He ordered coffee with his meal and said it was some of the best he's ever had! Mary, our waitress was very attention and a joy to have!

1  Thank Bos2AusCyssan
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Good breads, generous portions, pleasant staff and surroundings!
Check out the ladies bathroom & teacup chandelier! Kid friendly and awesome menu selections. Learn more about the chef who served dinner to Nelson Mandela and 2,500 others...

2  Thank gb7ihla
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My group of three enjoyed a delicious dinner on a Friday night. Dinner is served on Friday and Saturday nights only, so plan accordingly. My pork belly and my corn fritters were very good, as were the short ribs and the scallops ordered by my dining companions. They even accommodated the diner who did not want her scallops over a rutabaga puree by substituting a potato puree. Their bread was also very good as was the wine list. This is a small, cozy, warm, locally-owned restaurant so don't go there expecting a huge range of selections of entrees. Their selections are limited but very well prepared. I look forward to returning!