“It's great and they do their own baking that is wonderful.”

The Bakery and Cafe at Rose Cottage
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have only had sandwitches in there with their home made bread and didn't find any I didn't like, you will know why when you go there.

1  Thank 315gypsytraveler315

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stopped in for lunch and all had good meals. We had tomato basil soup, asparagus and Swiss cheese quiche, cheese sandwich, ham and cheese sandwich and delicious peach tea and apple cider. Of course the cookies and chocolate croissant were also excellent! Our server was so pleasant and gave the children so much attention. Again the hospitality in Pine Mountain cannot be beat anywhere! Our 2 day trip will not only be remembered by the fun activities at Callaway Gardens but also the good food and wonderful staffs at the restaurants where we dined!

3  Thank katnicHoover_Alabama
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I stopped for lunch. We each ordered a half sandwich and soup. The server was friendly but it took nearly 40 minutes to get our food ( and they weren't at all busy... ). My sandwich (pear and Brie) was ok but oddly greasy. I had tomato soup and it was not good. Tasted like curdled sour cream. My husband's turkey sandwich and vegetable soup were ok, but nothing special. He said it would have been good if they had used turkey roasted there instead of pre-sliced. All in all a disappointing lunch (and not cheap).

Chefjohn54, Manager at The Bakery and Cafe at Rose Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you for your recent review dated January 12, 2013.

I appologized for your meal not meeting your expectations.

In response to your observation of your waiting time, our standard is to time stamp our tickets and there were numerous orders that came ahead of your order.
Our kitchen is small with one stove. The speed of orders coming out of the kitchen can be hampered when we fill the dining room quickly. We are a community restaurant and not a fast food service restaurant.

I am sorry that your tomato buisque was not to your liking, I can assure you that it was made fresh and finished with pesto and cream. The tomato bisque is a favorite with the majority of guest that frequent the restaurant and we run our of it more often than not.

Our brie cheese sandwich is baked and the brie cheese that we use is a quality double cows milk which by it's nature has a fat content 40% and higher. Paired with pears the sandwich serves as a delectable combination and can be oily to diners not used to the higher quality cheese used in our sandwiches.

I can assure your husband that the turkey used in his sandwiche is cooked and sliced on premise. I do not use pre sliced meats that are so often found in fast food restaurants that have less expensive offerings for their diners. The soup of the day is often a vegetarian based soup as opposed to the meat ladened foods one finds elsewhere which is also over salted and can be bland if not used to it.

I would like to thank you for your comments and I hope that I've been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

Chef John

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I am so thankful to have Rose Cottage in our charming town and just up the street from me!
Over the Christmas holidays, I treated many of my grown children & a 6 yr old grandson to the delicious food prepared by John and Maria and their excellent staff. We were a party of 7 for the scrumptious Christmas Eve dinner. I had pre-arranged with John to also have Christmas lunch side dishes made so that I could spend more time with my family at my Christmas tree 'scene' rather than cloistered off in the kitchen. John, your oyster dressing was soooooo yummy! And to top it off John & his son Jack, even delivered the food to my home on Christmas morning!
I continue to frequent Rose Cottage for Sunday brunch with dear friends for the warm ambiance of decor, the excellent service, and above all the excellent quality & choice of food menu.

1  Thank Debbie W
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Enjoying a good meal is not just about the food. Have conversation with your tablemates. Walk around the rooms and appreciate the artistry. Rose Cottage is an experience of many proportions.

2  Thank carolCataula