“Expensive, but great service by the front door/parking staff”

The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Resort & Gardens
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Entered front lobby to find roaring fire in fire place, Christmas tree, warm apple cider, sugar cookies and efficient staff. Beautiful property in woodland environment. Fairly large and private room balcony overlooking woods. Enjoyed our stay, but did not feel it was worth more than twice the amount we usually pay during Christmas at the nearby Mountain Inn -- until we were ready to pack up and go. My car would not start and it was a very cold morning. The door attendant called for help from mechanical/maintenance staff. While my family waited inside by the fireplace, the staff resolved the problem and started my car for me. What could have ruined our day became a minor inconvenience thanks to the hotel staff! For that kind of service, I don't mind paying the higher price.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, almost to the end of the hall. Very quiet, if you do not mind the long wal...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is my second stay at the Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens in two months. I will try to talk about both stays.

(1) The first trip was a company event where we entertained clients and overall the hotel did a good job. The only thing I wish they will pay a bit more attention is at the front desk. We had breakfast vouchers that were supposed to be given out to the guests but some of our guests were not given the vouchers upon check in. We also had a package delivered to the front desk and it was not given to us but delivered to their gift shop instead although the name on the package is clearly intended for one of their hotel registered guests (my assistant). However, the hotel is very nice and all our guests enjoyed it tremendously.

(2) The second trip I took my inlaws for an overnight visit to Callaway Gardens and we booked two rooms to stay here. Everything was great on this most recent trip and we all had a wonderful time. I was happy to discover a trail leading directly from the hotel to the beach area inside Callaway Gardens. Our morning walk there was beautiful and serene.

Below is my thought on specific amenities at the hotel:

(1) Room - My favorite is actually the bathroom. It has separate shower and bath tub. I hate small bathroom and this one is big which I loved! I was able to take a bubble bath one night during my first stay and enjoyed it quite a lot.

(2) Food - I only tried the breakfast at the restaurant and I thought it was very delicious and lots of choices even when I was staying there for three nights for the company event. Our clients had a great time every night at the lounge so I imagined it was pretty good (I didn't drink there so I cannot comment).

(3) Service - All the staff I met were very friendly throughout the hotel. If they will pay a bit more attention at the front desk for minor details as mentioned above (or it could have been the communication between their event staff and the front desk that needs to be improved), I think I would have rated the service as excellent.

Overall, I think if you can afford to splurge a bit, this is the better choice in terms of accommodation when you are visiting Callaway Gardens. Note that the $15 resort fee covers the entrance fee to Callaway Gardens for 2 days so it is actually not that expensive. :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jls3721
Reviewed November 17, 2013

A beautiful getaway in the countryside. Great air. Animal safari near by. Acess to Callaway Gardens included with golf, tennis, horticulture center (best I have seen), butterfly center, restaurant, biking, scenic drives, and other attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the fountains in the middle of the courtyard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is an average place - nothing luxurious, but definately acceptable. My only complaint was that my room smelled like air freshner. Housekeeping must spray something on the carpets after they clean the room - which always makes me wonder what they are trying to cover up. I had my nails done in the spa - the room was freezing and I had to ask the technician to turn on the heat. I understand that this is a very festive location around the Christmas Holidays due to a light show and bazaar. This hotel is about 70 - 90 minutes from Hartsfield Airport - maybe longer during rush hour.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I came here for one night and were really pleased. This is like a high-end resort that offers something for everyone, but we found the prices to be very reasonable. The hotel has beautiful rooms and a quiet natural setting, along with the heated pool, great fitness room and Spa. We have been researching places to take a family vacation with our adult children and grandchildren, and this offers more than any other place we have found in this area. The proximity to two scenic golf courses (one tougher, one more forgiving) and Callaway Gardens sets it apart--everyone in our group can easily find something fun to do.
We found that the entire staff was so helpful and pleasant--the bellmen, the front desk staff, wait staff at the bar and restaurant, even the casual encounters with staff in passing by. Overall we were very happy with our stay at this property.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JuneJane
Reviewed November 7, 2013

While this hotel is very convenient for events at Callaway, there is room for improvement. There was a strong scent of fragrance that was irritating to my allergies (perhaps housekeeping should lighten up on the sprays in the corridor and rooms?).

With no screens on the doors leading out to the balcony, the doors had to remain shut to keep out the flying insects.

Guests are not advised in advance that during low occupancy, no breakfast buffet is served. However, the price for ordering a la carte from the menu, just for a single item like pancakes, exceeds what the charge for the buffet would be since one pays extra for coffee & juice whereas the beverages are included in the buffet price and you would have many options among the buffet selections. Clearly, guests should be provided with a price break when the hotel is not offering the buffet.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ms_Pat
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Overall the hotel is not big but each room is very spacious and restroom is very well equipped. All rooms have balcony, which is very good. The room service is not very good: Champaign on arrival comes late and breakfast comes one hour after the appointed time. Maybe there are lot of visitors and room services are too busy, but this really leaves me with bad impressions.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
#4 of 5 in Pine Mountain
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
15 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites LaGrange / I-85

Been to The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Resort & Gardens? Share your experiences!