“Charming retreat”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Spring Hill, Florida
“Charming retreat”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a lovely place to relax for a few days. Visiting from Florida, it was wonderful to be in the midst of these beautiful trees. There is a balcony for sitting outdoors and enjoying the view of not only the trees but the beautiful grounds and pool. The room was nicely decorated, and the bathroom was spacious and luxurious. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I have ever enjoyed from the omelette to the freshly made smoothies. It is only a short drive to the Callaway Gardens, so we could visit over two days. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was a wonderful way to end our vacation.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Mableton, Georgia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We assumed, per the reviews, this was the place to stay and considering the appearance of the cottages and surrounding accommodations after arriving, we would agree. That said, this was not a Autograph collection stay as the name would suggest.

First, upon arriving, a few things to note. Parking is relatively painless, except for the fact that there is NO lighting past the parking lot. There are solar light lining the walk ways that do not work. After grabbing our own luggage (no bellman at the time we arrive, 8pm), the staff was pretty good, no complaint there. Called ahead to confirm that a late check in would not be a problem, was told that it would not and that someone would be a the front desk, no verification of my reservation nor any notation add as to when we would arrive, had to call back to make sure of no issues., felt this could have been done on the initial. After checking in, we headed to our non-autographed room, notice the elevator had finger prints over the entire door on both side, look like it had not been cleaned in weeks, there were also food droppings in the elevator and no sign of any housekeeping with wiping down and vacuum the elevator, the entire weekend.

After arriving on our floor, we noticed more crumbs along the way.. When entering the room the initial appearance was good, but that was short lived.. The bathroom was the cleanest aside from the fact the we had to kill a few spiders, we excused that b/c of the garden aspect, but still felt more extermination was all that was needed. Next, the bed and wall, 3 of the 5 pillow cases were dirty, had to get new pillow cases. I've included the picture showing a dirty wall from moving the head board and no attempt to wipe the wall or paint over. The carpet was less than spectacular (take slides and house shoes), along with the dated furniture, TV and remote.. no in-room movies. Went down to complain about the room conditions, was offered another room only to find that the pillow cases in there were stained as well, so roughed it out in the initial room. The phone guest service button did not work, call room service, got the front desk and they had to transfer me to the next extension. Ordered room service, the waiter,lets say did not have the correct training, had to ask for my receipt.

The best part of the property is the poolside, the landscape on this side has been kept very nice, the pool staff was also on point. Better appetizer and service out there. The Beach if you have kind was nice as well.. Everything shut down around 9pm, pool food bar 7 and the bar around 8..

Did not golf nor visit the garden..

All in all, this Marriott could stand to use a lot of upgrading, better house keeping and service improvement. I would only rate this a 6.5-7

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gemini6472
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Beautiful location within the Calaway Gardens property but not inside the gated portion nearby. Free passes into the Garden were provided. Facility was up to minimum Marriott resort standards but does need a general facelift after several years of deferred maintenance. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Well done landscaping and outside fountain and fireplace features. Parking is stretched out from the main entrance resulting in a long walk for many, therefore, Valet Parking and bag handling needed. It is provided, but sparingly as no valet or bell boy was on duty when we arrived around 6pm plus I saw an elderly couple having to do what I did - unpack my car, load the luggage cart, take it to our room and return to park the car and trek it back to the hotel entrance...not what many want to do ( or are able without extra effort). Front desk and dining area staff were very friendly and accommodating. Good food. Better food inside the gated Gardens.

Room Tip: Ask for AAA rate.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I am currently staying here for a work mid year conference. The hotel is very nice, has the look and feel of a Western Ski Lodge. The resort is about an hour and a half from downtown Atlanta. I am staying in a large 1 bedroom suite that is nicely furnished with a great marriott bed, two flat screen TV's and a recently refurbished bathroom with a large shower and separate tub. The hotel is very quiet. I took part in a work related team building scavenger hunt and got to see much of the grounds. It is quite lush with large mature tree growth. Nice large lake with man made beach, tons of fun activities for kids. For Atlanta area families looking for a nice weekend getaway, this would be a great option. It also has a highly ranked spa which I did not have a chance to use.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Enjoyed my stay at this hotel which is part of the "Autograph Collection" of unique and independent Marriott hotels. The grounds are gorgeous and the hotel is nicely designed. Lobby is attractive and welcoming, hallways are spacious, views from windows are picture-worthy.

We stayed in a room with a terrace which faced the fountain and had a slight view of the pool area. Our room was roomy, nicely outfitted and CLEAN. The bathroom was spa-like with nice fixtures and included a soaking tub and separate shower. (see pictures)

Room included a small refrigerator (empty, no mini-bar) and a coffee maker. Supplies to make two cups of coffee are restocked on a daily basis. Our room (and the hotels HALLWAYS) were carpeted.

I did not hear much hallway noise or neighbor noise during our stay, so either the soundproofing is really good or we didn't have a lot of people staying in the rooms around us. I do recall hearing people leaving their rooms across the hall a couple of times, but I didn't hear much else coming from other rooms (bathroom noises, TV sound, etc.)

Ordered food once from the bar in the lobby and I was NOT impressed. I ordered the fried calamari and some french fries since it was late and there was not much of a selection. The calamari was served with some type of Asian sauce which I, luckily, ordered on the side. The sauce was terrible; extremely salty and pretty much inedible. (We ate all meals at local restaurants during our stay.)

There is one large restaurant in the hotel. Though I did not sit down for a meal there, I would definitely try it next time. The restaurant has a nightly seafood dinner buffet and, I believe, a breakfast buffet in the morning.

All of the hotel staff I interacted with were professional, friendly and helpful. I wrote a little thank you note to my housekeeper one day and upon my return was surprised to see that she had written me a nice note back. :)

All in all, the Lodge was indeed a hidden away gem in Pine Mountain. I have no complaints. Based on the reviews I've seen of other hotels in the area, this is the ONLY place where I would be willing to lay my head when visiting Callaway Gardens/Pine Mountain.

TCS TIPS:

(1) the surrounding town is pretty dead and pretty much shuts down around dusk. Restaurants do stay open later, of course. If you do arrive to town late and the restaurants are closed, you can grab a meal at the Huddle House restaurant which stays open 24-hours (or at least very late) from what I recall.

(2) I had some of the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life, yes in my ENTIRE life, at Eddie Mae's Country Buffet, not sure if I caught them on a good day based on other reviews I've since read, but the fried chicken and the apple cobbler were delicious. The place is an old restaurant in need of some major sprucing up, but when I visit small town America, I like to EXPERIENCE small town America. Eddie Mae's delivers exactly that. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LodgeatCallaway, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Glad your stay at the Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens was tremendous! Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. Your review reads like one from various travel writers that have visited the resort and published fabulous articles. Thank you for your testimonial! The Piedmont Grill is the main restaurant and offers a breakfast buffet, lunch, dinner, and in room dining. We offer our sensational Seafood buffet on Friday nights. Please give us a try next time you visit. I am sorry about the food in the lounge. If you could call me with date of your stay and name I can research and resolve to your satisfaction. You can reach me at 706-489-3306. Thank you for being our guest. Jim Keller General Manager
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed five days at this beautiful location - staff very friendly, facilities great, although could do with a little attention in places (for example - worn and in some areas (lift) stained carpets and general updating could be an advantage for the future) , but this does not mean our stay was in any way disturbed by that. The grounds are lovely and spacious, beautiful pool area - under the pines - and the rooms were nice, and clean with a small balcony, beautiful bathrooms and environmentally friendly toiletries (refills attached in shower cubicle area). The resort fee, which included daily admission to Callaway gardens, was satisfactory, but only, if you intend to visit the gardens every day - which we did only once - therefore - in our case, resort fee too high - especially, if we wanted to go every day - it would most likely have been cheaper to do so ourselves, being both senior citizens! Breakfast was very good and everything was available for a healthy start - or - if you wanted a cooked breakfast - a chef was there to prepare something special for you. Staff very friendly and attentive in the dining - and bar area - and as an additional attraction - two wonderful golf courses nerby.
Possible suggestion - do not include the Callaway Gardens admission in the resort fee - thereby lowering it substantially - some folks might not want to go every day anyway - just to enjoy the hotel grounds and pool - very relaxing - will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Have room just facing the pines - not the fountain!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Truly appreciate the feeback posted on Trip Advisor regarding your recent experience at the Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens. The Lodge and Spa is a LEED certified resort and offers many green products and services for our guests and for the benefit of our community. The resort fee includes free internet, bottled water, and admission to the Gardens. Callaway Gardens requires we collect gate fees for each night at Lodge. I am sorry we do not have a flexibility to make the changes as you suggest. I hope this does not deter you from a repeat visit to the resort. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Thank you for being our guest. Regards, Jim Keller General Manager
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We attended a wedding at Callaway Gardens and stayed in the Lodge & Spa for the night. We arrived early in the day (event was at 6pm) and were worried we could not check in because we had not requested early arrival - it was no issue, the room was ready and waiting for us. The bellman was very friendly as were the front desk personnel. After unpacking a few things we headed down to the pool for lunch and some relaxation before having to get ready for the wedding. The grounds are lovely and the pool area very clean (albeit a little small for the size of the hotel). The bar & gill located at the pool was convenient and the food (and drinks!) were very good. By staying at the hotel we were allowed free admission to the gardens,etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you being our guest and taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. Glad to hear your experience was sensational in every way! We hope to see you again at the Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, an autograph collection resort by Marriott, for an extended visit in the future. Regards, Jim Keller General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Mountain
Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange
Hampton Inn Lagrange near Callaway Gardens
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Lafayette Garden Inn & Conference Center

Been to The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens? Share your experiences!