“Not exactly what I had hoped for”

The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Resort & Gardens
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was our first time staying at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens. I was excited to try something new, as we typically stay at other hotels and or cabins in the area. Upon arrival I was thrilled with the look and feel of the property itself. The setting is beautiful and the decor in the lobby gives off such a feeling of warmth and comfort. The room itself was decorated well, with great attention to keeping with the whole "lodge" theme. However, the nicest part of the room is the bathroom. I was surprised to find the bed linens and the bed itself to be of poorer quality than what I'm use to for a Marriott resort. The food at The Piedmont was adequate, but nothing to rave about. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Although it was a pleasant experience, I think we'll stay somewhere else in the future. I just don't think it's worth it considering the amount of money you pay to stay here. Hopefully they will consider stepping it up a notch or two in order to make this lovely hotel truly worthy of being called part of Marriott's "Autograph" collection.

3  Thank Rebecca M
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Resort & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Rebecca M,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you kindly for taking the time to offer us feedback. While it seems like you enjoyed our guestrooms and friendly staff, I am sorry to hear you would not consider us in the future. We truly value your business and opinion and hope to show you more value in the future should you give us a second chance to wow you. Please know your feedback on the bed in your room and your experience in the Piedmont Grille will be communicated to ensure improvement. THank you again for your time and business.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visited Lodge & Spa, Pine Mt. GA as a Christmas present to ourselves. Lodge is nice with good amenities. However, their pricing is a bit confusing. They add an automatic 20% charge at the spa and when questioned the clerk couldn't tell us exactly what it represented. She said the massage therapist received a "portion" of the fee, but didn't know how much. Another client overheard our talking about the fee and said she had come several times herself and had even questioned the manager, to no avail. I like to treat myself occassionally to something special, like a trip out of town to a spa, but I don't think I'll be going back to Marriott's Lodge & Spa until I know what I'm paying for.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Resort & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear roc,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you very much for your business and feedback. And please accept my apology for any confusion with the service charge at Spa Prunifolia. Spa services all have a 20% service charge that covers the therapists gratuity. Any miscommunication during this process will be communicated personally to Spa Prunifolia to ensure this does not happen again. We hope you enjoyed the actual spa service or massage as well as the facilities. Should you have any further questions please feel free to contact us. Again, thank you for your business and we hope you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I wanted to love this hotel since I've wanted to visit for some time. The property is beautiful; perfect for a get-a-way, but our stay was filled with one dissappointment after another. First, we couldn't have been given a room with a worst view (near the woods on the backside of the property with a view of the service/employee entrance); perhaps due to the use of a Groupon. The rooms were nicely decorated and the bath was awesome! However, as we got ready for bed, we found unclean sheets. Since it was late, there was no housekeeping available. Sheets were sent up by a kind security guard for us to change. The bed was very lumpy also.
There was no information in the room regarding the hotel's amenities. I've never stayed at a property that didn't provide a book listing the cost of phone calls, restuarants on site, info on the business center, room service, etc. When I called the front desk, the young lady was clueless as to what I was asking for and sent up a copy of arrival amenities (e.g., goodies you could have placed in your room prior to check-in). Although we were there for a romantic weekend, it is customary to check in with family babysitting our kids but there was no phone service in our room (AT&T) and weak, unreliable wireless. No one could call us either!
Breakfast was great but the dinner food in the dinning room was mediocre at best, worst desserts have ever had served to me! Yet, I must say the staff in the restaurant were very friendly and very helpful. Kudos to them! I want to return so badly with my family and give it another try but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk having another visit ruined at these prices!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BalancedMommy
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Resort & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear BalancedMommy,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your business and for taking the time to offer us feedback. Please accept my apology for your stay not being up to your standard. I assure you this information will be passed along to our housekeeping and food and beverage departments so research can be done to ensure improvement or find out why this happened. Thank you for the kind compliments on our staff and our beautiful guestrooms. I hope you had time to enjoy our Spa Prunifolia as well as Callaway Gardens activities. We hope to see you again in the future and thank you again for your time and business.

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here while visiting Callaway Garden's Holiday in Lights. There is no better place to stay thank at this hotel. It's a tiny town and the other places look rather run down. The grounds are beautiful, as is the hotel. Our 4th floor room was great with a breathtaking furnished balcony. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom amazing with a separate bath and glass enclosed shower. We were here on a Friday night and took advantage of dinner at the hotel with the seafood buffet. We stuffed ourselves with crab legs and she crab soup and the dessert bar was wonderful. The only thing I'd encourage the hotel to do is to have breakfast included. We ended up going into town to eat rather than fork out a small fortune for our family of four to eat. All in all, wonderful stay!

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Bdga2006,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you very much for your business and time in writing a review. We are delighted you loved our Seafood Buffet. The all you can eat crab legs are a treat aren't they? The next time you are here do not miss Spa Prunifolia. A treatment will surely be the highlight of your stay in the future. Chef Dan will enjoy hearing your comments about the desserts made right here at the hotel! Thank you again and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our room was adequate, with the bathroom being the best part. Hotel was quiet at night, but I don't think it was full the weekend before Christmas. The Piedmont restaurant was mostly a disappointment. The food was mediocre, and the decor bizarre -- a mix of Asian and mountain, which do not go together at all. Prices too high for what you're getting. We did better for the meals we went off-campus. The biggest problem was at checkout. They charged us three extra resort fees, which they said they could only take off later in the day when the manager came in. It got done, but it makes you wonder how often this happens. The family in front of us at the desk had their stored luggage lost by the hotel within a few hours. Oy. All in all we probably won't be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Resort & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Gingerbean8,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you very much for your feedback and your business. I am very sorry you were not pleased with our Piedmont Grille or your check out experience. By communicating these opportunities to us, we are able to communicate this to our staff to ensure this does not happen again. We greatly appreciate you working with us and again, please accept my apologies. Thank you for your time and have a safe and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here using an award stay; great choice. The designers really thougth about the design of this hotel and made it feel like a lodge (with all of the Marriott amenities you expect). Room was spacious, clean, comfortable, and had a separate tub/shower in the large bathroom. Hotel provides easy access to all that Calloway Gardens has to offer. We viewed the Fantasy in Lights (mediocre experience) and was only a 5-10 minute drive from the resort. The only fault was no upgrade for a Gold Marriott Rewards member; I asked for the upgrade at check-in and none was available; based solely on the numbers of cars in the parking lot, the hotel seemed to have a low occupancy for the night we stayed (22 Dec 12). Nevertheless, hotel was great and would not hesitate on staying there again.

P.S. Don't skip the breakfast buffet. Staff was top notch. They had everything, including fresh smoothies.

Dear Nuttree,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Your positive feedback allows us to be a premiere resort in Georgia. Thank you for taking the time to communicate with us and thank you for your business. We are delighted you enjoyed your holiday with us! Our guests always comment on our four fixture bathrooms and our amazing breakfast buffet just like you did. And I too enjoy the smoothies in the morning! We hope you will be able to spend some time in our award winning Spa Prunifolia next time you are here. Thank you again and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed Overnight to participate in the Callaway Gardens fantasy of lights. The hotel rooms were beautiful and very large. During the early evening they provided warm Apple Cider in the lobby and the staff was wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Gottobreal
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Resort & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear Gottobreal,

It was a pleasure learning of your recent stay with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you so much for your feedback and business. We are delighted you enjoyed our guestrooms. The bathrooms are a big hit with the separate bath and shower and Spa amenities. We hope you enjoyed the holiday season with us and look forward to having you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Mountain
#4 of 5 in Pine Mountain
15 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites LaGrange / I-85
Holiday Inn Express & Suites

Been to The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Resort & Gardens? Share your experiences!