“One Day At Callaway Gardens”

The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Naperville
“One Day At Callaway Gardens”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

The lodge was extremely relaxing, ghe gardens were beautiful. We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear carolee1,

We are delighted you had such a wonderful stay at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. Thank you for your business and taking the time to leave a review. I believe you put it perfectly in using the word "relaxing." Our resort's amenities allow our guests to relax with our Spa Prunifolia, cocktail lounge, and balconies in each room. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you for your time once again.

Jeff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Day 1. I'm a frequent hotel guest and, granted, I was on a couple of free nights here and have only silver Marriott status (as I'm usually a starwood junkie). I was also trying to check in at 1pm (4pm is prescribed). I was told there weren't any rooms available at the time. On questioning when a room would be ready, the response was a curt 'why don't you try back around 4pm'. Seriously, what hotels don't have rooms available before the prescribed times (the car park was almost empty)?

So we headed down to the pool - a warm, sunny day on Spring Break - 80F. No more than a dozen folks there. Only emphasizes the previous comment on no rooms. No pool bar service (surprising, but didn't need it anyway). But wow, the pool bath was pretty poor given this is meant to be an Autograph Collection hotel.

On upside, when I did finally get to check in, Eddie on the reception desk was really helpful and informative. Room also reasonable size; beds good, balcony overlooking fountain etc.

Hopefully, it can only get better from here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Khatls
georgia
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel with lovely hotel grounds. All employees were very friendly and helpful. The one issue that we had (and others did too, we discovered) was the lack of attention to some details. For example, there was a dirty wineglass outside of our room when we checked in (and though I had requested early check-in as a Marriott Rewards member, we had to wait for our room to be cleaned and checked in at he standard time). This same glass remained there all afternoon and evening, as did a tray of dirty dishes down the hall from us. Also, after a shower I reached for a clean towel and discovered a very unattractive brown stain on it. Either housekeeping missed it or they didn't care. My husband took both the dirty glass and the towel to the front desk (we didn't want the towel to stay in the rotation!). The carpets in the hallways had debris (lint, strings, etc.) that was there when we arrived and stayed until after we left. It was so much that this did not appear to be just from one or two days of not vacuuming. The balconies near us had thick spiderwebs with dead bugs in them that could easily be removed but obviously had not been for some time. We were near a suite, and the bacony area for it had some sort of run-off that had solidified, looking like brownish icicles. Breakfast at the Piedmont Dining Room was decent (if you don't want the big buffet, there is a smaller oatmeal/fruit/pastry option); however, there were no bowls for the oatmeal or grits for several minutes. In summary-this truly is a gorgeous hotel, but some details really need to be attended to to make me feel like I am at a Marriott Signature hotel.

Room Tip: Try to book a room overlooking the fountain
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank georgiamomto2
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear georgiamomto2,

Thank you for staying with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens, Autograph Collection. We very much appreciate your business as well as taking the time to offer us feedback. The information provided will be communicated to our management and staff accordingly. We always here wonderful feedback on our staff and I am happy you were able to interact with them during your stay. Were you able to enjoy a massge in Spa Prunifolia or take a dip in our outdoor pool? We hope to see you again soon and thank you for your business.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend to commemorate our 5th wedding anniversary. The property is owned by Marriott (curiously, the Marriott logo is not displayed anywhere), so we were able to save almost $100/night using a friend’s discounted rate.

The lobby and check-in area were beautiful and welcoming. We were greeted warmly and checked-in quickly. The room we were assigned was clean and large with a spacious bathroom. I don't often see a hotel bathroom with a large tub AND a walk-in shower. Our room was the last room on the hallway directly across from the housekeeping closet which was always propped open with a bath towel. This is notable only because we could hear noise from the maids starting at an early hour. I find it odd that we were booked in a high traffic area considering the employees told us it was a slow weekend. The nice thing about our proximity to the housekeeping closet was that we were able to quickly retrieve a "do not disturb" sign, as our room was without one. Not that it mattered…a housekeeper called us at 8:15 a.m. to ask if we wanted our room cleaned that day. So much for the "do not disturb" sign!

When we checked in, we were given a pamphlet detailing the offerings of the local area and a spa services menu. I figured we would find more info about the hotel in our room. No such luck. The only other pamphlet we found was a room service menu. No map of the grounds (where exactly is the spa? is there a gym?), nothing detailing the amenities offered by the hotel, no information on pool hours, no hotel menus, no lounge hours, etc. When I asked the clerk at the concierge desk, I was told that they didn't have any of those things and that we had, in fact, received all of the hotel information.

We decided to eat dinner one night in the hotel’s restaurant. The food was good and the service was attentive and pleasant. However, I ordered an alcoholic drink and was charged $8. After dinner, I was charged $12 for the same drink in the bar located directly next to the restaurant. I understand that they have a captive audience and can charge what they want, but I felt gouged by the ridiculous drink prices. We had one drink and never returned.

We had massages scheduled for Saturday afternoon. The massage was excellent and the space was calm and relaxing. Women and men are separated into his and hers areas, so we compared notes afterwards and found some differences in our experiences. The steam sauna on the women’s side was out of order. On the men’s side, I asked for a size 9-10 flip-flop and was told that they were out of that size and I had to wear a larger size. I was the only man in the spa, so how could they be "out" of a size? Both spa areas had relaxing lounges with a small area set-up for tea and coffee, and a series of glass containers that held peanuts, trail mix, etc. Unfortunately, neither one of us saw any coffee or tea, nor were there snacks. I didn't expect these things, but why not restock the tea and snacks regularly? Lastly, the women’s area had a plastic bin that contained cold wash clothes for use in the sauna/steam room. I was never offered, nor did I see a similar bin for use in the men’s sauna.

Overall, The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens was a clean and enjoyable property. Our stay could have been a four-star experience with a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Peachtree
Dear Peachtree,

Thank you for staying with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens just outside of Atlanta, GA. We very much appreciate you taking the time to offer us feedback. It is always a pleasure recognizing our employees for the service they offer as well as making efforts to improve. It sounds like you had a very well-rounded stay with us while utilizing our Piedmont Grille, Ironwood Lounge, and Spa Prunifolia. Your feedback will be communicated to management and staff. Thank you again for your business and we hope to see you again when you need a break from life or have another special moment!

Stuart, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I recently spent 5 days at the Lodge and Spa. The hotel was gorgeous, great food and nice warm pool. All rooms have balconies with beautiful views. I can't say enough about how relaxing this trip was, we will definitely return.

1 Thank janicelovestravel
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear janicelovestravel,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time at our Autograph Collection resort in Georgia. Five days is the perfect amount of time to really unwind. But it is always tough going back to the real world after that. I hope you enjoyed our Spa Prunifolia and all the activities Callaway Gardens has to offer. Please come back soon and thank you for your business!

NC
Reviewed March 26, 2012

The room was large and very comfortable. The bathroom is spacious and luxurious. The outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi's were so nice to enjoy in the spring when otherwise swimming would be a bit too cold. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The property backs up to the beach area and we were able to ride our bikes to the pathways without having to drive them which was a big plus. Only criticism is that our wait staff in the restaurant had clearly never been trained on the very basics of waiting on customers. I'm not picky about things like that so when I say the service was poor, believe me, she didn't have a clue what she was doing in spite of her friendly demeanor. The food was OK....salad was overdressed to the point of being soggy and almost inedible. I do recommend staying there...just would like to see a little more attention to service and quality in the restaurant.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies with nice views though room with view of courtyard and pool area is a bit p...
1 Thank RamblinRoseNC
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear RamblinRoseNC,

Thank you for staying with us at The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. I must say we do get alot of very nice comments about our four fixture bathrooms and balconies in the guestroom. We are glad you enjoyed them. Thank you for your feedback on our Piedmont Grille as I will be sure to not take this for granted. I hope you will come back for another dip in the pool and maybe even a spa appointment in our award winning Spa Prunifolia. It is truly the best way to relax and unwind. Our staff looks forward to seeing you again soon.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed one night at the Lodge, and it was a very good experience. The room was spacious and clean, and the bathroom was very nice and well appointed. We got a great suggestion from the Concierge to eat dinner at the Gardens restaurant, which is not at the Lodge but is part of Callaway Gardens. The food was first rate, and there's a great view of the lake and golf course, especially if you sit on the porch. The Spa was very nice - my wife and I had a couples massage and it was terrific. The masseuses were professional and frequently checked on how we were doing, if we wanted the temperature of the bed warmer or colder, etc.

We ate in the Piedmont Dining Room for breakfast, and it was average. There was nothing wrong, necessarily, but nothing remarkable either. The buffet had a lot to offer, from cereal to fresh omelettes. The breakfast was the only minor blemish on an otherwise great overnight trip.

Room Tip: The elevators are at the front of the buiding, meaning you can have quite a walk from the elevator t...
1 Thank ML1153
LodgeatCallaway, Director of Sales at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
ML1153,

Thank you for staying at our beautiful Georgia Resort. The Lodge & Spa at Callaway Gardens is meant for guests like you to have a place to relax and unwind. It sounds like you accomplished both in Spa Prunifolia with your couples massage. I hope you enjoyed the steam and sauna as well. Thank you for utilizing our Piedmont Grille and please try us for dinner next time you are here. The Flat Iron Steak and Shrimp and Grits are to die for! Have a great day!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Mountain
Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange
Hampton Inn Lagrange near Callaway Gardens
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Lafayette Garden Inn & Conference Center

Been to The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens? Share your experiences!