“disappointed in "small stuff"”

The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Georgia
“disappointed in "small stuff"”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is a beautiful property. The room was spacious and well-appointed, and the bathroom was spectacular. However, we requested a feather-free room due to allergies--we got a room with all feather pillows and a feather mattress pad on both beds. It took nearly an hour to get non-feather pillows delivered--we removed the mattress pad ourselves. The water was not hot--in fact it was barely warm. AND the television reception was fuzzy.

The front desk staff could not have been considered friendly--they didn't offer anything more than the minimum required. They were polite but not helpful.

A little customer service here would go a long way to make this a wonderful place to visit, however, without some improvements, I would not recommend it--especially for the price.

Room Tip: Check your room out as early as possible.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank GeorgiaDawgfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Albany, Georgia
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Finally able to make reservations after several days - check-in was easy, room clean, higher quality bedding, decor of lodge and rooms in Mission/Craftsman style which was nice; food was okay (breakfast buffet) but seating in the Peidmont and service there was slow, we stayed on 4th floor at opposite end from elevators ... a long walk ... too long in fact; housekeeping carts frequently blocked halls and there were dirty dishes outside of staff/housekeeping entrance door for the ENTIRE TWO (Sat/Sun) days we were there (a number of housekeeping staff walked right past numerous times over the two days in process of cleaning rooms - WHY someone did not simply pick up the dirty plates and forks that were there (when we checked in AND when we checked out) directly across from our room - and right outside staff/housekeeping door is still beyond me); would have been 'better business' if breakfast had been "complementary" after paying over $200+ for the room and over $180+ for a 'valentine' dinner and band @ Discovery Center (was told we would have to stay at the Mountain Inn or Cottage w/ Pkg purchase in order to get the "complementary breakast") ; there we no bellboys, no luggage carts and no offer to help with luggage by any staff; parking is atrocious (small spaces, far from entrance to hotel, at night forget it - parking is way out in the trees - I know - I parked the car myself, a woman, and walked alone to the hotel, at night, through the thickly wooded and jammed packed parking lot - a rape waiting to happen, a real safety issue for Callaway); The Lodge & Spa could EASILY be a top-notch 5 Star Resort if some of these issues were to be addressed ... at least according to my dearest, sweet darling ... husband; TOO EXPENSIVE as is ... (He is being A LOT more generous than I am).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Albany, Georgia
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I planned - (and I emphasize PLANNED) on suprising my husband with a stay at the Lodge and Spa and Valentine dinner and swing dancing at the Discovery Center. I've been trying to book for 3 DAYS NOW!!! When I 1st called I was told that Lodge and Spa and Valentine's Pkg not availabe -together - so I asked about reservations at Lodge and purchasing separate tickets for the Dinner and Dance .... told I could make reservations for Lodge but would have to talk w/ another Dept for availablity of tickets .... well .... 3 days and 5 attempts later - STILL no luck. So much for Lodge and Spa and Dinner and Dancing at Callaway!

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We enjoyed staying at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens. We found the accommodations nice, but the staff a bit cold and confused. Luckily, we weren't there to interact all day with the staff.

The following are two examples of our staff issues.

First, when we arrived, a bellman was about to help us with our luggage when he decided to help a big SUV with more luggage. He claimed it had been there before and was returning, but he was literally at our luggage when this behemoth zipped in.

The other issue involved dining. We were trying to decide at which restaurant to make our reservations for dinner. I went down to the front desk to review the dinner menus for their Piedmont Dining Room (in the Lodge and Spa) and Garden Restaurant (fine dining on the golf course). Not only could they not produce a menu for either restaurant, but the girls at the desk gave me unpleasant looks that made me feel like they thought I was from outer space. I did not think my request was unusual, especially since one restaurant was in the building and since the other is within the resort.

The room itself was very nice and relaxing and the bed was very comfortable. Our only issue was that there is a large amount of noise penetrating our room from the hallway. Sadly, some folks think it's okay to talk at full voice at any hour (including 7:30 am on Sunday). This, sadly, is not just a problem at The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens. Better sound-proofing is needed and guests need to be more aware that they are not at home.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
gulf breeze florida
Reviewed December 30, 2009

My husband and I decided to take a trip to Callaway Gardens and stay at the lodge as our Christmas gift to each other. I am so impressed with this lodge and room that I'm sure we'll be back again. The room was spacious and the clean. The bathroom was one of the nicest I've ever encountered in a hotel room. The food was good at the Piedmont dining room and the Iron Lounge. The breakfast buffet in the morning was very good. I can't say enough about how nice our stay was at the lodge.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Ellaville,Georgia
Reviewed July 29, 2008

First stay at the LODGE & SPA on the grounds of CALLAWAY GARDENS Resort... Great room, Best bathroom ever!, Great View from the room, excellent pool, hot tubs, and cabana! Out of the view of any traffic, nestled sweatly in the pines of the resort. Biking is great from this location, and the hotel has a wonderful restaurant and grill.
Please, though, request a room near the lobby end of the hotel if you plan to come and go from your room. We had a wonderful view, and quiet location at the far end of the hall, but too long of a walk whenever we wanted to use the pool, or even just to leave the hotel for a bike ride or to play golf.
This might be a good place for kids, if they like swimming and bike riding, but it is a MUST for couples and 'honey mooners'!
Try the LODGE & SPA, you'll like it! We've already booked a return visit in the fall.....
SIGNED.... Satisfied Customer!

• Liked — VIEWS
  • Disliked — walking distance to room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2007

While not my first visit to Callaway Gardens, it was my first visit to the newly built Lodge and Spa. The Lodge itself appears to have been designed with nature in mind, blending nicely with the lush forested surroundings.

The lobby with its gleaming hardwood floors, stone hearth and exposed beams is warm and welcoming. Fresh flowers were scattered here and there nicely bringing the gardens inside without being overwhelming.

The Staff were friendly and professional, check-in was a breeze and we were soon off to explore our room.

The room was both spacious and comfortable. We were particularly impressed with the sheer size of the bathroom which had both a separate shower stall and bathtub. The bathroom contained the standard amenities such as blow dryer, plenty of shower/hair products from their own product line to a light-up makeup mirror. The makeup mirror was definitely necessary as the lighting in the bathroom was a touch on the dark side.

There were little special touches everywhere such as a flat screen television, in-room refrigerator, cushy robes/slippers, sewing kit, fresh flowers and a little tissue 'rose' on the tissue dispenser.

Our bed was large and comfortable with a comfy feather bed under the sheets and a nice down comforter to snuggle into above. The furniture is dark wood, the room colors inspired by nature in muted greens, yellows and soft reds with floral touches in the pictures and window treatments.

Each room has its own balcony; ours was facing the courtyard with a fountain. There are no chairs on the balcony as mentioned by a previous reviewer which is indeed a shame and something they should address in the future.

Overall, we were most impressed and would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Comfort and luxury
  • Disliked — Bathroom lighting and no chairs on the balconies
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Americanuck
Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange
Hampton Inn Lagrange near Callaway Gardens
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Lafayette Garden Inn & Conference Center

Been to The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens? Share your experiences!