“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Pine Mountain
Jesup, Georgia
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2010

My family was planning a weekend trip to see the lights at Callaway Gardens, but since we would not be spending a lot of time in the room, did not want to stay at the more expensive places inside the Gardens. After reading the negative reviews of this hotel, I was more than a little nervous about staying here. However, I wasn't able to find anywhere else and decided to give it a try. I was very pleasantly surprised with this hotel. It was definitely not luxury accomodations, but I found it perfectly acceptable for the price. The girl at the front desk could not have been friendlier. The rooms were clean and everything worked properly. The breakfast was not much, but ok. We actually went into town for a hot breakfast. When we checked out, the couple at the front desk were extremely helpful again. I had no complaints with the service nor the cleanliness of the rooms. Again, nothing was fancy, but I did find I got a good value for my money. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank gmaj_05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Millbrook, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

I decided to take my wife to see the lights at Callaway Gardens, and booked this motel before I read the reviews. Big mistake. I have had issues with other Days Inn Hotels, and this one has put me off from the chain altogether. We checked in after dark on a Friday night, and noticed there were only 2 or 3 cars in the parking lot. I was a little disconcerted when the lady asked for my credit card (not really unusual, for security) and then actually ran it through and gave me a receipt! Our room was upstairs in the back of the main building, and we unloaded all our stuff. My wife wanted to take a bath, but there was no way to keep the water from draining out of the tub, and the shower didn't work either. There was actually a screen like you put in a sink in the drain for the tub. After listening to banging and clunking from the next room for a few hours (three cars in the lot on our side of the hotel at 11:00 P.M, and there's someone next to us?) we finally got to sleep.
The next morning we went down to complain, expecting to be moved to a new room, but met with extreme indifference instead. The manager on duty said she would have someone come up to fix the shower, even though I already knew parts were missing and that would be extremely difficult. The guy put in a stopper for the tub, but did nothing about the shower. when he left and came back, we decided to go to lunch. When we came back an hour or so later, there was no obvious change and the shower still didn't work. We went back to the office, where we were told the hotel was full, even though (again) there were still only three or four cars in the parking lot, well after check-in time. After some debate in the back, the manager on duty gave us a key for a new room, two doors down. As soon as we entered, we knew it was a "smoking room", with attempts having been made to cover the smell. We checked to make sure the shower worked, and after some messing around with the dial we did get a passable stream out of the showerhead. I must note that getting under the shower was a feat, as the head is mounted for someone under 5' tall (both rooms). The TV was messed up as well (color was off), but we decided it would be better than being dirty, so we went ahead and moved into the replacement room.
The free Breakfast wasn't much, and I opted out of using the wafflemaker, as it didn't look as if it had been cleaned.... ever. the Cereal was a bit stale, but the bagel was nondescript.
The smoker smell from the room stayed with us (we're both non-smokers, I reformed), and we ended up washing everything we took as soon as we got home.
All-in-all, not a pleasant experience. The cleaning staff was friendly, but the check-in folks were not, and there was never any offer of a refund, or anything approaching it, even though we had to make three trips to the office to try to get the room straightened out. Find somewhere else. Period.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tindallh
Zebulon, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

We have stayed in Days Inn before, this one is the worst ever. I called to find out rates and at check in was given a different, higher price. When I said something, no one except a young boy could understand English and he couldn't do anything about it. Room was hot, dirty, smelled, and not what we asked for. We just stayed one of three nights we had planned.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank ZebulonBoy
Suwanee, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

First I have to say that I hardly ever complain but I couldn't let this one go. We recently stayed at this hotel and it was the worst place I have ever stayed. When we got our room, it smelled so bad it took our breath away (even the kids complained of the smell). When we asked the front desk if he could change us, he would not. He was extremely unaccommodating (not w/ just us but another couple checked in before us and they had a room on the second floor and they asked to be changed to the first floor because it was hard for the women to get up and down the stairs and he would not change them although he could have since not all of the guest had checked in yet), and I'll have to say, not very friendly (he needs to take a course in Customer Service). Besides the smell in our room, the towels were stained and when we got new ones, they had hair on them (not ours) and were stained as well and smelled. Although our room was a "nonsmoking" room, the lamp shade had a burn hole in it. The Ironing Board had burn holes all over it as well. Our bathroom door wouldn't close, the shower no-slip mat was draped over the tub and was very moldy. The shower head it so short that I can't imagine anyone taller than 5'7" would be able to take a comfortable shower, the TV is old and blurry (someone with perfect eyesight would think they needed glasses) and the whole hotel needs a facelift. I couldn't even tell you about the breakfast because we were too afraid to eat it. I'm sorry this is wordy but I feel it is necessary because maybe if the owner gets enough of these, maybe he will make changes. The only positive thing was that the cleaning crew was very friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Lovebugsmom01
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

Checked in about 10:00pm with my husband hoping to get an inexpensive good nights sleep with a quick breakfast, do a little sight seeing and then hit the road again. I was disappointed as soon as I washed up and grabbed a hand towel to find it had a couple of brown spots. Too tired to do anything at that point. Bed was good. In the morning, got out of the shower and grabbed a bath towel and found it full of brown spots! Saw a spot of dried blood on the bathroom floor. Breakfast was horrible! A few bagels that were there from the night before at least. Stale cereal, no milk, no coffee, no muffins. Not much effort put into this motel to attract a return stay. Wasn't worth my $71.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank victom
, Owner at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
We are so sorry for the experience you had at the hotel. We had change all the linen and keeping a very close look at the quality of the product used and same with breakfast. We were very happy to know you had good night sleep because of the beds. so once again sorry for inconvenience you had for you stay .
Griffin, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

I can't complain on the price or the location, as it was inexpensive and close to everything we wanted to do in our little R&R trip to Pine Mountain. Let's start off with the good: The bed was comfortable, the breakfast coffee served in the lobby was good, and the staff that I met was friendly. They were very nice in letting us move our reservation back one day, the day we were supposed to check in. We had to do this because of the roads being bad due to ice the night before, and we wanted to play it safe. They changed it with no hesitation and no problem. The location was perfect for going to either Callaway Gardens or Warm Springs / The Little White House, and as I mentioned the price was low.

And now let's get to the bad: the sheets on the bed are just thrown on the mattress. They aren't tucked in at all, so unless you do it yourself, the sheets get bunched up really easily. The hotel room looks like it was made for an extremely short person. The light fixtures barely come up to your chest on the wall, and the shower is great to clean your belly button, but hard for someone tall as is my wife and myself. I can think of no reason for things to be like this. We were literally 1 or 3 or 4 other guests at the hotel, and they put all of us right next to each other, at the far end of the building, so we heard things like doors opening and closing, and even the toilet flushing, something that could have easily been avoided if they had spread us out a little. We also wanted no-smoking, and were put next to the smoking room, which we could smell pretty easily, especially at night and in the morning. The floors in the room are also uneven and bumpy underneath the carpet. This was weird along with the shortness of the fixtures. Also breakfast isn't really anything to shout about. They have a waffle maker, but it looks like it hasn't been cleaned in weeks if not months. They have cereal, but no milk. They had half of a bagel and oatmeal cream pies (which to me is a dessert, not a breakfast item), although I did get 1 or 2 for a later snack for my wife and I.

Most of the things I just wrote are some of the same problems that others have wrote, but at the same time, I would probably stay here again, simply because it isn't a bad hotel for the price, and the problems are more annoyances than actual problems, but I still would like to see them fixed, as they are easy fixes (except for the low fixtures, which still baffles me).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mr_Nobody13
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

We went to Pine Mountain for an overnight get a way. We stayed at the Days Inn. It was nice clean room. As always Days Inn has a small frige and micorwave. They also have an ironing board and iron (which we didn't need) and a hair dryer (always good to have). They offer breakfast with the price of the room, but didn't have much to choose from so we went to the Huddle House to eat. We had dinner there the night before too. They have good food. The bed was so comfortable went I woke up in the morning I thought I was in my own bed. I had a great night of sleep. I would stay here again if I visit the area.

• Stayed May 2009
#1 of 2 in Warm Springs
Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange
Hampton Inn Lagrange near Callaway Gardens
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus

Been to Garden Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!