“Haunted Trail Ride”
Review of Roosevelt Stables

Roosevelt Stables
Reviewed October 24, 2011

It was well worth it, but not very liked by my six year old. They say Ok for kids but beware it was VERY good if you like a scare!

All reviews
"caches"
"skills"
"activity"

Reviewed May 27, 2011

My daughter and I took the 2 hour Mountain Lake Trail ride. It was not my first choice, but there are certain age requirements and my daughter (9 yrs.) was too young for the Overlook Trail.

It was a gorgeous ride! The sun was shining, it wasn't too hot, and the mosquitoes stayed away! I think one of their hour rides would be too short but 2 hours was just the right amount of time. Our guide, Jennifer, was friendly, polite, and very informative about the area we traveled (FDR State Park). The manager, Lisa, was so helpful when I called to make the reservation and when we arrived. The gentlemen who helped us mount up was also friendly.

We went out with another family; our party totaled 6 plus our guide.We went uphill and downhill, over rocks, streams, traveled on the road a bit, and stopped for a rest by a lake. You do not get off your horse but it is nice to take your legs out of the stirrups and stretch out. We saw a lake dug by the CCC, lots of foliage, trees, birds, etc. Jennifer kindly cleared the spider webs out for us since she first on the trail!

Make sure you are honest about your skill level. I had a horse named Bill who liked to eat every second he could get away with it and didn't want to keep up. You have to know how to deal with that; it's not hard, but a first time rider might not like it. They will match you to the horse for your skill level. Note: If you are at the end of the line, you will trot some.

I would also recommend taking some carrots with you. After our ride we were allowed to give carrots to the horses in their stalls, but not to the ones that we rode. They will also take pictures of you before the ride and during the ride if you bring your camera. They will not take pictures after the ride.

We are ready to go back again!!!

3  Thank DebMCNT