“New Year's Vacation”

Callaway Gardens
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A 2,500 acre, year-round horticultural display garden that offers the Virginia Hand Callaway Discovery Center, Birds of Prey Show, Cecil B. Day Butterfly Center, Walking Trails, Ida Cason Callaway Memorial Chapel and Pioneer Log Cabin as well as golf, tennis, fishing, fly fishing and biking. Those looking for some adrenaline will love TreeTop Adventure's zip lines and aerial obstacles. Seasonal events and educational workshops are offered throughout the year. Four lodging types, eight restaurants and a lounge are available.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We went down for the day to do the Tree Top Adventure and Festival of Lights. Being the end of December there was not a lot else going on since the gardens didn't have what I assume to be their normal color. The tree top adventure is not for everyone as its title suggests. We thought our 12 and 16 year old sons would enjoy it. I can tell you, if you are 54 yr old and overweight be ready for a challenge. If you're in decent shape it will be fun. We only did the first and easiest course. It still took us 2 hours to complete. I wouldn't advise trying the more advanced course until you have that one under your belt. The festival of lights was a pretty awesome display, but to be honest I couldn't see doing it every year. I wish we had more time to see the rest of the things at the Garden and do some hiking. I would like to come back in the spring or the fall.

1  Thank rlwagner
CallawayGardens1, Guest Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

We are so pleased that you spent the day with us making memories with your family. TreeTop Adventure is truly an obstacle course with a few zip lines added in. It does take a while to get through the obstacles. The swinging steps are the hardest in my book. Being able to walk and step while in the air is a challenge. We are glad that you enjoyed Fantasy In Lights as well. Just take a look at our website for more events that will be coming up soon. Spring time and Summer bring out the best here at Callaway Gardens.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I am not a resident of Pine Mountain- but, I do make time to visit as much as possible. I go to Fantasy in Lights every December. It is nice to see and some years the weather is better than others, but I seem to enjoy it regardless. I like the Christmas store there, the decorations all over. We get beautiful Christmas pictures each year in the horticulture center, but that place is always beautiful regardless of the season. When I feel like exercise- I walk or ride bikes on the trails of Calloway gardens and feel safe. I enjoy the butterfly center. I have been when there were so many butterflies that I could barely see in front of myself and then other times when there weren't so many, but I always try to go to Callaway when I will be doing more than one thing. There is the man made beach in the summer and kids love the big rock climbers in the water. I have been when the balloons were there for the rides. I always enjoy the birds of prey show and have stayed at the coolest Marriott ever on their grounds. The art in the visitors center is always nice. I love the gift shops and there has just never been a time when I didn't find something enjoyable to do there. I don't golf- but the golfers there always seem to be having fun as well. They also support our military!

We appreciate your time spent with us and your time sending in this wonderful review. As you stated there are always things to do here at Callaway Gardens. From riding bikes, walking trails, seeing butterflies, to taking pictures with your family and friends. Callaway Gardens is a wonderful place to make memories. Again, your time with us is greatly appreciated and we look forward to seeing you in the new year.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The weekend before Thanksgiving 2013 we visited CG. My wife and i had been to FiL about 5 times prior to this year's visit and enjoy it each year (we are 35 and 32 years old). This year we came with all of her family, so another 15 people. The space at CG allows you to have lots of people take a trip together without being crammed into the same room and crammed in venues like the butterfly house. Everything was spacious and well run. The only down sides I have to point out is that: 1. They never change up the light show. They may change direction (at least to me it feels that way), but never the actual lights display. 2. I think they could benefit by contracting out their food vendors in the park. There are not many places to eat in the park and each time I've done that it was pretty bad service. The places around Pine Mtn are fine, but you'd have to leave the park to eat there.

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent experience at Callaway Gardens. Guest feedback is the main way that we can celebrate our successes like Fantasy In Lights and but also how we can address our challenges like the subpar dinning experience you have received at the Christmas Village food area. We take all of our feedback very seriously and will take this back to our teams for immediate dialogue and action.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your feedback and we do hope you will give us another opportunity in the near future.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Christmas Lights were great, birds of prey great. Butterflies were a disappointment. I would come back when the flowers bloom.

CallawayGardens1, Guest Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your recent stay with our property. Guest feedback is by far the best way we can celebrate the things we are doing well or address things that we need to do better.

We are very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations at the Butterfly center. The Butterflies fly more when the sun is shining bright. I know in the past few weeks we have had numerous days that were overcast. When you visit this summer, the butterflies will be fluttering about all day.

Wishing you the best in the new year!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We visited in the winter to see the Christmas Light display which were awesome. We also had the opportunity to visit all the gardens had to offer. It would take me a book to describe it all. I can't wait to go back in the spring to see this beautiful place again. Our winter visit was breathtaking I can only imagine what springtime at the gardens can be like.

CallawayGardens1, Public Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you for your post and great review. We are so glad that you enjoyed Christmas time and Fantasy In Lights at Callaway Gardens. And, we're glad that you were able to visit the Gardens and its many attractions during the day. We hope you were able to return during Spring. It has been beautiful. As a non-profit organization dedicated to environmental education and land stewardship, we look forward to your visit in the future.