“North Carolina BBQ in GA - Right off the Interstate”
Review of Grillmaster

Grillmaster
Ranked #2 of 54 Restaurants in Perry
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I were driving back from Florida and were ready to eat something around Perry. A quick check of TripAdvisor turned up this place. It's right off the interstate in some kind of a former business building (Dairy Queen ?) They serve a what I call North Carolina BBQ - pork sandwich with coleslaw (you can also get a sandwich without coleslaw). We ordered a couple sandwiches to go. It was very good - I wish that we had more time to sit down and try some of their other items - like Brunswick stew. The waitstaff was extremely friendly and the place was very clean. You could see that most of their customers were locals (which is always a good sign). Instead of eating at McDs or Subway or some other fast food chain - give this place a try. I certainly recommend it.

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This place is awesome!!
My husband is a good ol' southern boy and I from the west coast. We have very different standards of what "good" constitutes.
This was a winner for both of us.
He got the BBQ plate with two sides - greens and Brunswich stew - and bread for $9.75. I got the "Q" sandwich ( plain BBQ with no slaw) for $4 and change. I added collards and the beans for $2.25 each. He couldn't resist the 10 layer cake (what southerner can?).

A little steep at $28 total for lunch, but we both got tea and added that slice of cake for $3.

The collards were THE BEST I have ever had. Ever. And he liked them too. They weren't overly salted or greasy and had a good fresh texture.
The beans were great- not too sweet and not too savory. Just right.
The vinegar based sauce was wonderful!
A few nights ago we ate at a hometown place and orders the Stew. The man's eyes were wide as he commented that the stew here was better than his hometown place.

Pork BBQ was moist and flavorful. I'm a fat freak and can't stand fatty Q. This seemed to be picked free of any fat!!! The plate combo had a ton of meat and I wished I had ordered that instead. It would have been a better value.

The service was excellent. I'm sure that the owner was the one taking our order. He brought a sample of the potato salad to try. Let me preface this by saying that potato salad and I do not get along. We both thought it was great! The man described it as hearty.

The bathroom is around back, but it is VERY clean and decorated cute.

We'll be back!! In the meantime, you should check it out!

1  Thank westcoastmeetstheSEC
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We dropped in for lunch after reading some reviews on TripAdvisor. The place was empty, kind of small, nothing fancy - right up my alley! I had the Larry Walker, which is a BBQ pork and slaw sandwich, and my wife had a BBQ pork sandwich, with potato salad and baked beans. My wife said that the potato salad was the best that she has ever had. The guy working there was very friendly and brought us out some complimentary Brunswick Stew to try. The food was absolutely amazing, as was the customer service. No flashing lights, bells, and whistles, just great BBQ and great customer service. Highly recommend!

1  Thank WorldTravelers1999
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Going to Atlanta saw a sign for BBQ and why not . The place is small and only six tables inside,but owner friendly and food is good. I had rib platter with pulled pork,BBQ beans and good collard greens.

1  Thank Bob5by
Reviewed December 24, 2012

great bbq, best coleslaw. very consistant with the great food and service. the folks working are always so nice. stop here everytime i come through Perry!

1  Thank alwayslocal

Been to Grillmaster? Share your experiences!