“Major Problem with Serenbe Inn”
Review of Inn at Serenbe

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palmetto
Inn at Serenbe
Ranked #1 of 4 Palmetto B&B and Inns
Atlanta, GA
“Major Problem with Serenbe Inn”
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Avoid Serenbe if possible...My husband took me to Serenbe as a surprise anniversary gift. We were going to spend the night away from our home in Atlanta and were looking for something fun and romantic. We'd arranged for an overnight sitter for our children and drove the 45 minutes down to Serenbe. When we arrived at 5:30 p.m., the innkeeper had overbooked the inn and told us we were "upgraded" to a loft in the "town". The "town" consists of a bakery, a grocery, a couple shops and about 20 or so permanent residences. We were disappointed because we had reservations at the Farmhouse restaurant (adjacent to the Inn) and wanted to be able to walk there from the inn . The town was about a mile down a dirt road and there was not a way to walk from the town to the restaurant. Since there are not any other options for overnight accomadations in the Palmetto area, we decided to take the room offered. After driving to the town, we found out we had the wrong key. The apartment we were assigned, however, was open. We went in to find a stark, modern loft. Wet towels had been left in the bedroom and bathroom and there was trash in the bathroom trashcan. The front of the unit overlooked the street and the back overlooked the permanent residents' shared courtyard which contained numerous plastic kids' toys, bikes, etc. There was no privacy on either balcony and the loft was not the cozy, romantic place we were expecting. We returned to the inn and the innkeeper did offer to clean the bathroom but maintained they could not honor our reservation at the inn. We ended driving the 45 minutes back to Atlanta and staying at the Ritz Carlton. The whole experience was very disappointing and we truly expected more from Serenbe.

• Liked — the farm
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
68 Thank cmpmr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Spring Branch, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2007

I had previously stayed at Serenbe and looked forward to returning with my family.

It was our son's 10th birthday, so we made reservations at Serenbe. We occupied 2 rooms at The Lakehouse for $180 per room per night.

Upon arrival, the gate was locked. We rang the office from the gate, but there was no answer. Finally, we located Serenbe's phone number on a cell phone and were given the gate code. This did not work either, but soon a car leaving Serenbe let us in.

When we arrived at the front, we were told that lightning had struck the phone lines and that the phone service was out. Someone was supposed to be on their way to fix it. This was on Friday, but the phone lines were never fixed. Granted, it was a weekend, but the staff did a poor job handling the situation. More than once, the office promised to "send someone right out" to fix at least the internet service, but no one ever arrived. All weekend we were without internet, cable, and phone.

My husband and I were excited about dining at the Farmhouse. As always, the food was excellent. The service, however, was not. The young, seemingly inexperienced staff seemed overwhelmed with just the few tables the Farmhouse holds. We had to flag someone, anyone, down for every single request -- more water, the check.

Serenbe lists fishing as an activity. It stated that bait was available in the compost pile. When my husband asked about the compost pile, the attendant said we would have to go into town for bait. We drove 17 miles attempting to find a bait shop. Finally, we had to settle on shrimp from the supermarket.

Here is the disgusting part: On my previous stay, I occupied the same room that my husband and I stayed in on this visit. At that time, EIGHT MONTHS AGO, I saw a fist-sized, brownish looking water stain on the white duvet cover. I was a little grossed out at the time, but didn't mention it. On our recent visit, the stain was STILL THERE in the same exact place. Hoping that it was a permanent stain and unable to comprehend that Serenbe would not wash a duvet cover in EIGHT MONTHS of guest turnover, I got some soap and water and tried to remove the stain. Sure enough, I was able to remove the portion of the stain I worked on. A quick sniff of the duvet cover confirmed my worst fear -- it had been a long, long time since that duvet cover had been washed. Gross!

I e-mailed the manager about the visit, but he never even had the courtesy to contact me.

• Liked — The farm setting.
  • Disliked — See review.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
33 Thank abmChattanoogaTN
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed February 4, 2007

It is almost impossible to find a place that works for a romantic weekend getaway AND a fun family spot, but Serenbe really does the trick.
I went with my fiance for a romantic weekend and we couldn't have been happier. We stayed in one of the less expensive rooms with just a bedroom and bathroom. The room felt large, with high ceilings and lots of natural light from the four windows. There was a side chair, a dresser with a TV/VCR/DVD/Dish combo and a fluffy king-sized bed that took some high-jump skills to get into. The bathroom was large, with two pedestal sinks, a toilet and a large bathtub/shower for two. There was also a shared screened-in porch with rocking chairs, an outdoor fireplace and a built-in bench. It was the perfect spot to relax and read in.
The Farmhouse restaurant is incredible! The included breakfast has a hot plate fixed to order and a cold breakfast selection of cereal, fruit and mini-muffins. The dinner is worth much, much more than you pay.
For families, and the young at heart, there are planned activities, like feeding the farm animals and a bonfire. We skipped these as our whole reason for going was just to spend time with each other, but it is nice to know the option is there.
Really, the worst part of our stay was the cold weather. It kept us from enjoying all of the walking trails and scenery.

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank Ineverwrit
O'Fallon, Illinois
Reviewed July 11, 2006

This place has all the best of B&Bs and family hotels. I came from California with my 14-yr old and 5-yr old sons. The 5-yr old loved the petting farm, trampoline, treehouse and hayride. The teenager enjoyed fishing in the lake (poles were provided), hiking trails and big breakfast. We got to feed all the animals (horses, cows, pigs, llamas, chickens, donkeys, rabbits, goats, etc.) and gather the same eggs we had for breakfast everyday. My son fed an apple from the fruit dish in our entryway to one of the horses.

We were surprised to find a TV with DVD/VCR in our room. This was a real lifesaver when a thunderstorm hit and my little one wanted to watch a movie. We sat in the large screened-in porch and watched the show (don't get many storms in CA).

It really was like being on a farm "away from it all", but with every amenity you could want. Plan on spending at least 3-4 days, you will need it to enjoy everything!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank jblizz
Atlanta
Reviewed July 17, 2005

My wife and I wanted to get away for a day to celebrate our first anniversary. Living in metro Atlanta, we checked some historic places in-town, but nothing popped out at us. Everything seemed old, frilly and outdated. So we broadened our search to places outside the perimeter and Serenbe came up on one of our searches. They have a great website that immediately captured our attention. The pictures and virtual tours of the rooms and grounds are spectacular. I wondered how well the pictures represented the rooms, and was not disappointed when we arrived.

We stayed in 1 of the 2 bedrooms in Cottage 2. Everything in the room was spotlessly clean and high quality (furnishings, drapes, bathroom...everything!) Our room had one king bed with lots of soft pillows and a feather duvet. We also had a TV/VCR/DVD combo with satelite TV. We had our own central air thermostat that worked really well. The bathroom was excellent too. A very large whirlpool tub was the centerpiece flanked with 2 pedestal sinks. Our porch had a great view of the land and the nearby lake.

From the moment we arrived the staff went out of their way to take care of us. We signed up for a breakfast time and were given a tour of our room. We were provided with a map of the property with details on hiking trails on the back. The room also had 2 books full of ideas for places to visit and restaurants to dine. They even included directions from the farm to every place listed in the books. My wife and I immediately set off on a hike to see the nearby waterfalls. I was skeptical of how worth our while the hike would be, but we were NOT disapointed. There are two waterfalls on the property a smaller one and a larger one; the trails are well manicured and well marked. The larger one is big enough to climb in and cool off after the hike. When we returned from our hike we visited the pool which was very nice as well.

They offer tea and snacks from 4:00 - 5:00, but we missed them because of our hike. In the evening a plate of brownies was delivered to our room! That night we took the directions they provided to nearby Newnan and dined at Ten East Washington. Ten East Washington is a nice, romantic restaurant in downtown Newnan. They had a jazz band upstairs and the food was great. The prices were reasonable as well. I had a New York Strip and my wife had Salmon. They were both excellent.

The following morning we went to breakfast on the glassed-in porch. The breakfast room was a nice size and setup restaurant style with tables that could accomadate 2, 4 or 8+ people. The food was excellent. There was cereal, fruit, yogurt and muffins as well as eggs, bacon and a baked apple pancake entree that was served buffet style from a huge black iron skillet. We left after breakfast, but wish we could have stayed longer. The owners have truely thought of everything and did not leave anything undone. Serenbe is a relaxing, romantic getaway so close to Atlanta, and yet so far away.

• Stayed July 2005
20 Thank bgsaye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmetto
Downtown
Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center
Atlanta Airport Marriott
#3 of 26 in College Park

Been to Inn at Serenbe? Share your experiences!