“In Need of TLC”

Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Norcross
York, Pennsylvania
“In Need of TLC”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I don't like to write negative reviews, but I have stayed at the Garden Plaza several times and have watched it decline to the state where it is now and I must share my experience so others can can be informed. I just spent a couple of nights this past week and was surprised by the number of cars in the parking lot. As a 'making the best of a situation' perk it used to be easy finding a parking space out front, but not anymore. I had an honest 'Good for You' moment and then came to the pothole in the parking lot that has been there for at least 3 years. Closer still I came to a wooden plank built to cross over a large divet in the road, and glanced over to notice that the one available parking spot out front was the large dip that used to have two cones around it and now only one toppled in - another veteran reminder.

Checking in was very easy. The front desk was polite and quick. My only gripe there is that they gave me 2 card keys of which only one worked.

I arrived at night during the midde of the week and there was a group hanging around the lobby area which is a little odd as other than vending machines and a set of chairs there isn't much to do on this floor. I ran out for dinner and when I returned much later they were still loitering about, which gave me a little uneasy feeling, but I get ahead of myself.

The room was the same large configuration, an aspect I have always
liked about the place. The large bath, refrigerator, sitting area and large bed. This time around I was affronted by the smell of stale cigarette smoke. It permeated the room to such an extent that I left my suit in the garment bag instead of hanging it up for a chance of not having that smell in my cloths. The HVAC system is as my follow travelers mentioned - noisy, but the sound of the toilet was much worse. The towels have gotten smaller and I wondered if I might have to ring it out once after a shower. The refrigerator had a dark grime on the shelves, and the room where the ice machine for the floor sat was crowded with trash bags and the acrid sting of burnt popcorn (the latter of course a reflection on the people staying at the hotel and not a fault of thehotel itself).

I know that for the price ($50) I should be more lenient, however it was that price and the quality of this hotel that had kept me coming back. It was a gem. Unfortunately the turn it has taken is far from its glory days. Caveat emptor.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PopeDrefoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Stone Moun
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I went through Priceline.com to place this order and it promised us the world, heated indoor pool, microwave in room, Jacuzzi, on site restaurant and bar. The pictures of the hotel are beautiful but the actual property leaves something to be desired. The Jacuzzi was under renovation and it is not an indoor pool at all, it was connected to the outdoor pool and did not have a heating element.

We requested a refund and was expecting priceline to relocate us only they cancelled the order without explaining that we would be left without lodging. The lady at the front desk Shenequa was extremely helpful throughout the whole ordeal. She spoke with management and priceline on my behalf and did everything she could to make sure we were satisfied. Although we did not reach a resolution, her effort was highly satisfying and greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for Shenequa at the front desk she was great!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Solutionslady

Travelers are raving about these Norcross hotels

Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I simply loved this hotel and it's staff! I got in on an exclusive internet price and stayed for a whole month at 29.99 a night! Breakfast was great! Clean rooms, helpful staff. No area ref raft aloud. Lol
I would stay again even at the regular rate!

Room Tip: Stay on the right wing for better Wi-Fi reception
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Drummonds, Tennessee
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Of course I went through hotwire for a 2 1/2 star hotel, after paying, this hotel populated and I reviewed the results and they were true, not a good place to stay.... If you are financially looking for a good rate, hotelplanners.com is the best rates with individuals that will work with you. This hotel is listed as 3 star, then 2 star. Hotwire refunded my money because at the time of arrival the star rating dropped to 2 stars. Hotel room smelled of smoke, refrigerator did not work and a parent had to be moved to another room. The hotel is under renovation and that should be public knowledge. I did not spend the night there, I ended up paying hotel for 5 rooms only $5.00 more and it is was a brand new hotel.....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Yorktown, Indiana
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This place was so bad that I didn't even stay here one night, I left. The room was terrible. Stains everywhere. Stains in the carpet were the worst. Paint was coming off the wall and in a couple spots there was plaster coming off the walls. The room smelled and the air conditioner did not work. Not at all happy with what I saw. I reserved this room because it said it was a 3 star hotel. It is anything but a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chad D
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel is very out dated frig didn't work bathroom was the best part of the stay! Price was ok if the rooms was updated!! T.V need 2 be upgraded along with everything else at this hotel in Norcross I stayed there 2/28/2013 and ice machine didn't work on no floors expect lobby

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Dreameyez007
Dallas, TX
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great hotel. Exterior is a little off, but the inside of the hotel is nice. Very peaceful and quiet. Nice sized rooms! Great Staff! Breakfast get scrambled eggs and meat of the day, waffles (eggo), juice, coffee.

The business center computers didnt really connect to the internet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo