“Average room: really not what we expected”

Hyatt Place Atlanta/Norcross/Peachtree
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Norcross
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Booked room through a travel site for a weekend get a way. We had an issue with items being broken in our room, and the manager's attitude was horrible when we told her about it when trying to get things fixed. I've stayed in old hotels that have been rennovated and they do not look like this. The carpet looks like its from the 70's and the wallpaper was peeling off the wall in the bathroom. I am not a picky person but courtesy and cleaniness is mandatory when staying in a hotel. The majority of the hotel clerks were unprofessional and unfriendly. We will never book here again.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed September 2, 2012

First impression of the hotel was promising, modern lobby, very friendly front staff and easy check in. As I turned the corner to head towards the elevator, that modern clean look all went away. Early 1970's was my impression, dark, dirty, run-down. A ride on the elevator did not change my impression, but the main reason you get a hotel is for the room and...........1 word: scuzzy. The room had a mildew smell to it, smelled like the vents from the gym were being piped into the room. The seating area was worn down (never sat there over my 5 day stay) and the bedding was of Motel 6 quality, scratchy and worn down. The bathroom/shower area was tight. Tiny toilet made me feel like a giant, bathtub and walls had all sorts of water damage wth a half hearted attempt to repair these damages.
Noise was easily heard from the above and adjacent rooms, so as I am a light sleeper I was able to listen to this throughout the night.
Two positives:
1) Breakfeast bar- Food was fresh and they had a good variety (fresh fruit, oatmeal, various breads, egg skillets and juice) I was impressed with this offering.
2) The gym- Gym had 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical and a bike machine as well as full variety of dumbells. Fit the bill for exercise while on business.

Overall, Hyatt gets a big thumbs down from me. As there are many other choices in this area, you would be best served spending an add'l $15.00 for a restful stay.

Room Tip: Goto the Marriot
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank rollerfu98
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I had booked this via the hotel website when we were looking for a quick get-away before classes started and we both had to go back to work. My husband was complaining at first about the hotel being outside the Perimeter (I-285) but after we got to look around, we discovered that there was plenty of places to eat, and easy access to I-285 and I-85 via Jimmy Carter Boulevard. While this hotel seems to be popular with family reunions - there was one at the hotel when we arrived, it was fairly quiet; but please beware that the walls can be rather thin, if you want some peace and quiet, please ask for a room on the ends away from the elevator. The beds were really comfortable and made for a very good night's sleep.

As people may have noted from my previous reviews, I tend to be rather critical if a location advertised wi-fi and it is non-exsistant to very good. This location had a very good wireless signal (although I will still advise people to be very careful about transmitting personal location - have a good firewall installed on your machine!) And I was able to keep up with my on-line newspapers and networks.

I really recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the Norcross, Georgia area and I hope to visit there again.

Room Tip: Please ask for room furthest from the elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband, daughter, and I stayed for 3 nights. We were impressed by the decorative appearance of the lobby--attempting to mimic a boutique hotel. The room attempts the same. Yet, the cost of the stay is very affordable. I was glad to see that the hot breakfast was truly that: skillet sandwiches, fresh fruit, pancakes, steel cut oatmeal, etc. The breakfast choices were unique. In addition, there were several flavors of coffee and tea.

Pleasant staff; comfortable beds; several in-room connections for tech gadgets. I read some reviews that complained about noise. We chose a room on the top floor and did not experience this. The only thing missing was a microwave. There was none in the room, nor in the guest kitchen. The fitness center was average in size and options, with a few treadmills, a bike, bench, and dumbells.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank latkwat13
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was one of the 2 worst hotel stays we have had over the last 10 yrs and this alone is based on noise factor. We were caught slap dab in the middle of a reunion. There was family all around us and they had absolutely no respect for ANYONE else on that floor. Doors slamming closed til 2:30am. We got several accidental knocks on our door til 1am. There was a family fight that broke out in the hall at 2am one morning. The doors and walls were very thin and u can hear EVERYTHING going on in the halls. We along with others called to complain and while workers did come up to the floor, as soon as they left they were right back at it. The hotel was average, not the cleanest and not the dirtiest. My kids' feet were nasty from the dirty carpet. There was mold on the air conditioner apparently from moisture. the bathroom was tiny...the door just barely misses the toilet and u have to b standing right next to the toilet to b able to close the door. Large, nice tv, but ours kicked on both mornings at 7am and there was no alarm set on it. The hotel was in a quiet spot of town, so no outside noise was heard. Pool was decent. Breakfast was ok, we have had worse. If the noise wasn't a problem, then we might consider staying here again, but wouldn't want to risk that! There was also a 50.00 incidental fee charged to a credit card upon arrival that i was not aware of, but it did get taken off my account within 3 days of checkout.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TJC0719
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Great staff - pleasant, helpful - but felt as if management was non-existent. Rooms ok - pretty well matched the hotel rating. Pool is in the carpark so not exactly alluring. Location was good. All in all. you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Seanie1970
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The room is better than your standard room. There is a little wear and tear but I have seen way more worst. I felt comfortable and safe. The 42 inch flat on a swivel wall mounted brace is a nice touch. I am into technology big time, so I was pleased that they had outlets for all your devices. The breakfast had a nice setup but I have frequented better breakfasts. The setup is very elegant for a hotel, but it doesn't hide the fact that the breakfast is subpar. The sandwiches are great but they are pretty much cold. Other than the sandwiches, there is nothing else to look forward to for the breakfast. The Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, and Best Western top the cake when it comes to providing breakfast. They are all complimentary. The rooms are the deciding factor. The Hyatt Place beats all the competition rooms, but the Holiday Inn wins when you take in consideration of the overall experience.

Room Tip: Basically, choose a room near where you park. The entrance of the hotel is difficult to see on the s...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family