“Don't expect too much”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Norcross
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Don't expect too much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

This property reminds me of a Sheraton. It's 1980's throughout the hotel lots of brass and old faux granite. The rooms are the same you would get at a Hampton Inn small flat screen TV old dated shower and no fridge or microwave so a Hampton is a step up.

There is a fitness center but one treadmill was busted without any note stating not to use it and the other treadmill had no sound from the TV when you tried to used headphones. They also lack any disinfectant to wipe the equipment down with. I had dinner at the hotel and because they were remodeling the restaurant I had to eat in a side bar. I had the Hamburger which was nothing special and the service was lackluster.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The good:

I got my Hilton Honors points.
The staff was nice.
Bathroom lighting was adequate.
Room lighting was adequate.
Shuttle to take you to restaurants, shops, etc.

The bad (where do I begin?)

Dirty, stained furniture in my room
Scratchy, uncomfortable linens
Horrible, horrible HVAC system
Stained draperies
Tub/shower that dripped
Shower diverter didn't work properly
Tub had been caulked about one hundred times; looked pretty bad
Peeling paint in bathroom
Scratchy towels
Weak hair dryer (plan for extra time if you're going to use theirs)
No on site convenience store
No USA Today outside my door or available in the lobby even though I am a Hilton Honors Gold
Onsite restaurant is only open in the evenings (which might be a good thing since the food is far from four star)
Free internet was pretty slow
Overall cleanliness was just average
Hotel lobby furniture is worn, tired and dirty
Overall, a very depressing place.

Don't go there unless you want the hotel to suck all the happiness out of you. It's sort of like the Dementors from Harry Potter.

Basically, an OLD OLD Hilton.

I would NEVER EVER stay there again.

Room Tip: No rooms are good because the hotel isn't good. Go somewhere else. Quickly.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We have stayed at this Hilton only every couple of years when there is a family event in the area since about 2002. Over those years we have seen a steady decline, first in the attention to detail, then in the general maintenance of the rooms. The most recent stay will be our last depending on what we can find in the area. Individually, each issue may be considered small but taken together we assume a larger problem with maintenance and cleanliness. On the up side we found the desk staff cheerful, friendly and helpful. When we asked for something to be fixed it appeared that they were right on it.

On the downside, what we found on the carpet when we arrived was still on the carpet the next day and only disappeared when we asked that the room be vacuumed. (The desk clerk confirmed that they don't vacuum the carpets everyday. Really? Why not?) We also found stains on the bath floor mat and large stains on the bed top sheet. As I said these were change promptly at our request. Additionally, the air vent in the bathroom was mildewed and covered in dust and hair. The edges of the bathroom counter appeared to not have been wiped in a week or two. It really makes you wonder about the corners, closets and counters under the coffee pot. These are the kinds of things that make my wife stand to watch TV rather that sit in the upholstered chair.

From a maintenance standpoint, the electrical outlet next to the bed was too tight to plug in a charger, The outlet in the bathroom was so loose that the charger would not stay in if it was bumped and the outlet by the coffee pot was not properly screwed to the wall so that it pushed into the wall when the charger was plugged in a would pull away from the wall then the charger was unplugged.

Attention to detail is what Hilton used to be know for but we would not have known that there should have been separate soap for the bath if we had not asked that our room be re-made up.

Lastly, while the front desk was very nice about offering a disposable razor when I had forgotten mine, they appear to have been bought by a purchasing agent who got the best price but who never tried to use one.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike A
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is our first trip to Atlanta, upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a friendly smiling Natasha Allen who went above and beyond to welcome us to the property and expedite our check-in. When we got to the room we were pleasantly surprised on the size and amenities of the junior king suite. Very reasonably priced. Unfortunately the heat was not working properly in our room and being from florida it wasn't comfortable. One call to the front desk to Reshaunda Johnson (Guest Services Supervisor) was all it took for her to have John from engineering come check on it. He attempted to replace the heating element but unfortunately it still didn't appear to be working. Reshaunda immediately checked on another room across the hall, gave us a key to see if it was warmer for us then offered to have someone help us move our belongings. That it is customer service at its finest! I travel extensively for business and I wish all the hotels I stay at had the same service. Keep up the great work.

Room Tip: Junior suites on the executive floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TampaMikeB
Nathaniel713, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Atlanta Northeast, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As we take great pride in exceeding the expectations of our guests, we do appreciate you sharing your experience. I am glad we were able to meet your expectations and accommodation needs as your loyalty is our biggest compliment. Please know that we do strive to make each stay comfortable and enjoyable for each of our guests. Thank you for taking the time to comment on the outstanding service you received from Latasha and Reshaunda at the front desk. We are very proud of all the staff at this hotel and recognize that it is because of them that guests like yourself keep returning. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your future stays even better. Thanks again for choosing Hilton Atlanta Northeast. We appreciate your business and patronage and look forward to the opportunity to service you in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

First Stay at this hotel. Even though I am only a gold member, I was treated as if I was the ultimate platinum member. Front desk was quick to make sure that my check-in was quick and respectable. Room on the 10th floor was clean and away from the elevator and a great view, as I requested. Had a very peaceful night; even though some guest decided to have a party at 5am in the morning; security was prompt to resolve. Special thanks to Jermaine, the Concierge. Very hellpful with a great attitude.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TLC1162
Nathaniel713, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Atlanta Northeast, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Atlanta Northeast during your recent visit to the Atlanta area. As we take great pride in exceeding the expectations of our guests, we do appreciate you sharing your experience. I am glad we were able to meet your expectations and accommodation needs as your loyalty is our biggest compliment. Recognizing our valued customers is very important to us and Jermaine at the concierge desk always takes pride in seeking ways to surpass the expectations of our customers. Please know that we always strive to make each stay comfortable and enjoyable for each of our guests and quick and efficient service is our standard. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your future stays even better. Thanks again for choosing Hilton Atlanta Northeast. We appreciate your business and patronage and look forward to the opportunity to service you in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

The negatives out weighed the positives staying at this hotel.
Let me start with the Positive.

The Hotel Manager went out of his way to address all the issues with this stay.
He couldn't been more helpful.
Great guy.

Room was quite
Beds very comfortable

Negatives:

1. First room had the phone socked ripped from the wall (I have pictures to prove it)
There was a visible layer of dust everywhere
Tub in bathroom had black mold on the white grout
Turned on the TV and touched the marble table top where the TV sat and the tv made a
a very strange zapping sound before shutting off.
Didn't look like the room was cleaned in months
Room 423

2. Changed rooms - Same floor 4th floor room 415
First look the baseboards had an inch of dust
Manager said he would take care of the issue. (I didn't have time to look at other stuff)
Came back and the manager indicated he couldn't go in to the room because I had a DO NOT Disturb sign on my door.
(I didn't know where they were, I was in the 2nd room 5 mins)
The wall paper on the walls is peeling (picture to prove it)

Came back to my room later that evening.
Turned on the heat - Heat didn't work
Took a shower, took almost 5 -10 minutes for the water to heat up.
Turned off the shower - faucet in the tub dripped all night

Turned on the tv in second room and the unless I was right in front of the TV it wouldn't change the channels.

In the morning reported 3 issues to front desk.
Came back to find a maintenance repair card indicated issues resolved.

Turned on the heat - guess what - NO HEAT

took a shower - warmed up ok this time, but the faucet dripped all night again

Went to breakfast buffet -
The guy making omelets asked what I wanted
The guy ahead of me wanted onions, mushrooms and cheese,
The gut put the stuff on a plate and started to make his omelet.

I wanted just cheese.
He proceeded to attempt to put the cheese on the same plate where the mushrooms and onions were from the previous guy.
I pointed out that there were left over mushrooms and onions on the plate. he took his bare fingers and went to remove the stuff from the plate.
I had to tell him to use a clean plate.

He proceeded to make my omelet and poured the so called eggs from a container.
When asked if they are real eggs he told me "YES real eggs" and showed me the container.
It said "Liquid Egg product" - okay what ever

He was making the other guys omelet and was using the same spatuchla on my eggs.
Cross food contamination.

The counters in the restaurant were covered with syrup. and everything around it very sticky.

Reported the problems in my room and they offered to move me to another room again.

The manager (GREAT GUY) called the maintenance guy to the front desk and had him go to my room to address the heat issue. He put his hand on the vent and said "See Heat"
I'm from Chicago - and with the thermostat all the way to the top and the fan on hi
it still wasn't blowing heat.
He told me he would get a ladder and open the vent and fix.

Guess what - came back to my room again - NO HEAT !!!

Breakfast this morning - NO FOOD on the buffet -
They had spoons sitting out that had food stuck to it for serving the food.
(These should be replaced with clean ones)

My rating is actually generous.
Its a higher rating only because of the Hotel Manager and his attempt to get the issues resolved.

Room Tip: Find another hotel in the area!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Nathaniel713, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Atlanta Northeast, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations and I am actively working with our team to ensure our standards of high quality are consistently met. I understand the condition of your room and quality of service in the restaurant were your areas of concern, I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experiences and I will keep your review in mind as we look to make corrections, where necessary. Again I apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced and can assure you that we have addressed your concerns with all management and staff at the hotel. We truly hope you would give us the opportunity to show that we can not only meet, but exceed your expectations on a future stay. I am confident that if given the chance, we can exceed your expectations.

Angmering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here two nights and both evenings ate in the bar, the food was excellent. Typical Hilton and great value at the corporate rates. I booked through our company system but was given the wrong rate, when queried there was no issue changing the rate and crediting the over payment. Good service and friendly staff. Evening cheese and wine on the house are a good meeting point for guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Nathaniel713, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Atlanta Northeast, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We appreciate any opportunity to reach out to our valued guests and are here to help in any way we can. We are pleased that your stay was enjoyable. We strive to make your visits at our hotel as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if we can ever be of assistance in your future travel plans.