“Way to pricy for the quality”

Mama Lucia's Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 214 Restaurants in Newnan
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've been in mama lucia's before and found it way to pricy for the food. The lasagne I had was no more then -if at all- average home cooking. But I gave it another shot in Dezember 12 . This time I had an eggplant sandwich. I ordered the grilled version. The danswich came as a bun with a over grilled and totally dry eggplant, no sauce. A real dissapoimtment. Needless to say i'm mot going back.

1  Thank C P

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

The food here is so overwhelmingly garlic laden that it numbs your taste buds. I'll never eat dinner there again, but I will go back...for dessert! They have a chocolate cake with raspberry sauce that's out of this world!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Have been to Mama's too many times to count. The food is always good, and some dishes are great! All plates are plentiful, and I usually leave with a to-go box. The Pene a la Vodka, with a Parmesan chicken breast, is notably delicious. The wines are ok, and there's a central bar. Oscar Eggs Benedict is great for Sunday Brunch. They frown on cell phones, which I personally appreciate!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Many people travel to Italy, eat at the tourist places there, and think they now know "real" Italian food. My dad was born in Italy and owned an Italian restaurant in Chicago for many years (it's still in business, owned by my brother). At Mama Lucia's you will find great Italian food that reminds me of my Italian and my American heritage. The staff is well-trained, and give you personalized attention, no matter how busy they are. The staff is respectful. We had a clunky server once, but she didn't last long. The decor is American modern, with just a touch of the old country. The food is made from fresh ingredients, the key to great cuisine. The only thing frozen there are the daiquiris. The marinara is properly prepared, not over-spiced, so the tomato sauce can speak for itself, then simmered for hours. The presentation is better than one has a right to expect in this price range, not to mention in Newnan, GA.

I don't know why other reviewers said negative things about the owner/manager. Miss Barbara has served great food in Newnan for many years. I have eaten at Mama Lucia's many, many times, and I have never witnessed this fine lady to be "mean or drunk." Maybe fatigued, since her devotion to quality keeps her in the restaurant 60 hours per week or more. I have been there at all times, and, Miss Barbara is always there.

Does a good restaurant manager raise their voice sometimes? You better believe it! The staff at Mama Lucia's know who the boss is. Quality demands it. And the restaurant business can be a rough one. I watched two waiters, years ago, get into a fight in the front of the house one night (gasp!). My dad dragged both of them to the back of the house, beat the snot out of both of them, physically threw them out of the back doors, then continued visiting, smiling, with his customers. I watched that through very wide 8 year old eyes. Be nice to Barbara, she'll go off- menu for you!

I am getting hungry thinking about Mama Lucia's. Try it out! I think it is the best food you will find south of I-20, at Newnan prices.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We went to Mama Lucia's for lunch. Right away, the waiter made us feel at home. He played and picked at the two children with us, ages 4 and 5 and they had a ball everytime he came to the table.
The food was just okay. i have had better and I have had worse. But comparing the service, it was a very memorable experience due to the waiter alone. So all in all, we were entertained so much by the children that it made it a wonderful afternoon.