“Mediocre at Best”

Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
“Mediocre at Best”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was in Newnan for a doctor's appointment, saw the sign, and had heard the hype about Sprayberry's. Had dinner there last night. Ordered the "Louis Grizzard Combination" which consists of a sandwich (I ordered chopped pork), Brunswick stew, and onion rings. Service was quick but that was only the beginning. My dinner came and I started with the rings. They looked light and good, and the first bite was but after that I got down into the grease! They were greasy and not terribly tasty...

So I moved to the Brunswick stew. Thick, lots of meat, but not very tasty at all. The sandwich was very good, although the barbecue sauce was very runny and you have to be careful while eating it or you're gonna get dirty!

All in all, the Diet Coke was the only thing that was acceptable. Well, that and the service.

I agree, minimal ambiance, a meal that only makes me have less respect for Louis Grizzard, although I imagine he had better taste than that and is rolling over in his grave if he knows this meal is named for him!

• Visited October 2012

Newnan, Georgia
“I don't get it.”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have lived here for a while now, and still don't get why people love Sprayberry's. The food is mediocre at best, and the restaurant has no ambience to speak of at all. I would much rather eat at any one of the other barbecue places here in Newnan. If it were quite a bit cheaper, I might eat there more often just for the value. But for the price, not worth it.

Having said that, I do appreciate that they are a long-time home town staple and a big supporter of local events and schools. As a part of the community, they are great, and deserve lots of business for that aspect alone.

But if you are going for the food, you'll be happier somewhere else.

• Visited December 2011
Newnan, Georgia
“STAY AWAY!!!!! DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

This is the worst BBQ I every had. The sauce taste like a sour pickle and the ribs, well just down right aweful. I cannot believe people praise this place for having good BBQ. To each his own, but this is not what you call southern meat smokin! They are over priced and the ribs taste like they was baked, not smoked. That stew....YUCK!!! I can write a 100 page dissertation on how this mess tasted. It was blended and watery with no taste. I'm upset I wasted my my time, gas, and money on this place.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank Keeing-it-Real
Atlanta, GA
“Disappointing at Best”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

The famous Sprayberry's new location by the interstate grabs the travelers off the interstate but not locals.The Brunswick stew is unbelievable and not in a good way. The onion rings are pure grease. Chicken is dried out only the pork is acceptable. The prices are the highest as you'll find anywhere. Whenever family and Friends are in town they want to go but are always disappointed.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank B52Brian
Asheville
“Classic Georgia Barbeque”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Barbeque is highly subjective stuff. if you're used to southern Georgia 'Q especially some of the smaller no-frills places, Sprayberrys is right in line with that. There is not a huge impact of the wood smoke in the meat flavor-wise. The chopped chicken and the chopped pork were both decent. Sauce is a thin tomato-vinegar. if you're devoted to Texas/Memphis/KC styles you probably won't be impressed. There is a good range of sides (for BBQ) they're -- standard for lack of a better word. There are some unique menu items which we didn't try, like the brunswick stew sandwich. We ate here because it was close to our hotel and it's worth a stop for lunch if you're nearby. I wouldn't travel from outside Newnan for it though.

• Visited April 2012