“Ehh...”

121 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Ehh...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I’m going to be the odd duck here and say I didn’t care for this park. It’s new, so the facilities have that going for it, but based on the pictures and description of the park, I was a bit disappointed. By the pictures, it looks as if there’s an overlook of the scenic bend in the river. There’s not. There’s not really access to the bend per se, only if you walk a 4+ mile trail, then go off the trail to see the bend. When I was talking to the person in the gift shop and asking questions about it, she was less than enthused about trekking to the bend, saying it’s really not worth it. But we did take the hike to the scenic “tower.” You basically walk over a mile to get to what is a two story deck in the middle of the woods. You can’t see anything that different from what you can see on the ground… unless you are a bird enthusiast I suppose, because you are surrounded by trees that are taller than the “tower.” As a lover of natural beauty, I always enjoy a little hike in the woods, and I’m always thrilled when land is preserved . But I am a wee bit perturbed that they somewhat recently built this new park, when so many other parks and historic sites have had their budgets slashed and are not even open on Sunday. There are brand new buildings at this park, but they haven’t been thought all the way through… like the lack of water fountains at both the visitor’s center and the bathrooms. (You can buy bottled water, but that’s not really the point is it?) You’re out in the woods, and I for one can not give nature less than 5 stars, but what I am basing my review on is the totality of the facility and my expectations based on other Georgia State Park sites. There are plenty of other well established trails along the Chattahoochee that are preferable to this site. If I weren’t a friend of the Georgia State Parks and didn’t get in as part of my yearly membership fee, I would really have felt annoyed. Like I said, I am glad the land is being preserved, but as a visitation spot, I have to give this one thumbs down.

Visited June 2013
6 Thank CobbCoGA

Jacksonville, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice Trails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice Trails wish we could have stayed longer very nice and beautiful ! The trails are extremely nice

Visited May 2013
atlanta
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Nice Trails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you want to get a good hike in, this is a great place to go. The trails are new and well maintained. You can take a hike up to 10-12 miles are as short as you want. One hike goes along the river and then into the forest and is challenging at times. The hike from the visitor center to the river and back is very hilly and I would call moderately difficult on the return as it is a couple of miles mostly going up. Nice little visitor center with camping and hiking goods and snacks. Go and enjoy Georgia's latest park

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Hyponic
Indiana
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Family Fun at a Beautiful Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have visited this park twice and loved it each time. We have younger kids so we took the shorter trail to the lookout tower. It was a perfect distance for our kids. It was a flat basic trail but worked for us. If looking for more adventure this trail would not be the one for you. Not sure about the other trails at the park. The playground was great for the kids while we cooked dinner at the provided grill. There were quite a few grills and picnic tables in the area. The bathroom was near the playground and clean. This area was all near the river with nice views. I look forward to trying to canoe and camp there. We love to sit on the big wooden swing and look out over the river. The visitors center was also very nice and the person was very helpful in letting us know which trail might be best for us and how to easily get to it.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Krazyfamily
Atlanta, Georgia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Wonderfully NEW Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I took the kids for a day trip there. The park is beautiful and I have all the plans to go back at the end of April. So, I am going to get straight to the point. This park is huge. It has a large Visitor Center which is, new. So new, we asked about the canoes and the young lady wasn’t sure how to get them out of the cage. That was ok though, because it was too cold for that anyway. At the bottom going past the Campground Area 1 and 2, there are a number of small picnic areas, equipped with grills and picnic tables. These, run along side the river, which give you a beautiful view. Also down there are two large pavilions which had a cute, yet different, play ground in between them. Perfect area for large gathering and not far from the camp grounds. And if I am not mistaken, this may be the only area to have gatherings. We walked the trail going to the observation Tower, which was about a mile, however, you can keep going to the other camp area but that will be a 6 mile hike.

I got a chance to see the restrooms and they are nice and new. Barely used and clean. I didn’t get to ser the showers or anything but I expect the same. I also took a look at the camping area. Very RV friendly and looks very organized. The tent only areas are nice but I would like it to be a little bit bigger. They have a special place where you can build a fire, therefore, you don’t have to make your own pit. Some of the camping areas are further into the woods but didn’t appear to be too far, however, I didn’t really walk through the area. Campground Area 1 and 2 did have some tree coverage, so that’s something to think about when night falls. I didn’t get a chance to look at that Platform Camp ground, which may be different.

And just a FYI for all you fishers. My husband has only been fishing for about a couple of years now. So he is fairly new to this. He was able to catch a nice size bass using fake fishing bait. The bait had a shining gold peace, with a red mouth. Hope that helps.

All and all, you can’t go wrong with this park. If you are thinking about trying it out, I would, the park is begging for someone to break it in. Oh Yeah, parking is 5 dollars, just in case you didn't know. But if you don't have change, you can get it from the Visitor center. And the wireless sucks there, so not FB'ing or any of that stuff.

Pros
Super Clean and barely used Bathrooms, camping sites (for RV’s and Just tents), picnic area, not a lot of foot traffic, easy to rent facility (not competition), stuff like that, a lot of wild life to see (especially deer)

Cons
Still needs to have more trails (large portion of the park is trees), not a lot of places for shore fishing, not a lot of scheduled activities.

Visited March 2013