“Top Notch”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aghadoe
Minneapolis
“Top Notch”
Reviewed June 13, 2008

I had the privilege to spend a week at the Killeen House for a week in May -- not only did the trip and company surpass any and every expectation, but the Killeen House was the highlight of the trip. The accommodations, the food, and the pub are fantastic - and the people that run the show are truly one of a kind. Michael and Geraldine and their amazing staff - including Janet, Jessica and Charlie - are not only wonderful hosts, but in fact, they are friends. I know this won't be my last trip to Ireland and each time I go back there's no place I'd rather stay. -- The Redhead in MSP

• Liked — People
1 Thank mmborg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
connecticut
Reviewed June 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed for three nights at this exceptional hotel, we loved every minute of it. Geraldine and Michael , the owners , made us feel as if we were guests in their home . Our room was spacious , beautiful and very clean, the hotel itself was about ten minutes outside Killarney center as a result the scenery was so picturesque and serene. The restaurant included impeccable service and food, the little pub is inviting especially if you are a golfer . Everyone called us by name but managed to walk that fine line between being personal without the feeling of invading your privacy . We highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ConnecticutBeans
Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I booked 3 rooms with Geraldine for our golf trip to Ireland. She immediately offered to make all my tee time reservations for me (so I wouldn't have to call myself - plus she knew everyone at all the best courses). This saved me lots of time and effort, plus the courses are not fully staffed off season, so it was hard to get a response from them. All her arrangements were flawless. She also helped me narrow down the choices, as Ireland is blessed with many fabulous courses. We reserved the Championship Rooms, which were large, comfortable and spotless. The hotel was on the edge of town, very convenient to drive to the courses because you don't have to go through the traffic in town. If you want to go into town, it takes 10 minutes or less. We reserved a table for dinner for 2 of our 3 nights, and the food was wonderful - plus a beautiful and friendly dining room. Also, it was nice not to have to drive anywhere after a hard day on the course or sightseeing, and you could order that extra bottle of wine because you didn't have to worry about driving home. We did go out to a pub with traditional music one night, which was fun but not gourmet. The breakfasts were good and included in our rate, much more food that you could possibly eat. They recommended and reserved a trip over a mountain pass in a horse buggy, then a journey across a series of mountain lakes in a motorboat. It was wonderful and one of the highlights of our trip to Ireland. There is more than enough for non-golfers to do in the area - we wish we would have had an extra week to see more. There is a small bar/lounge that is irregularly staffed and open to guests on the honor system 24/7. They will take payment with a golf ball from your home course, and then glue it up on the wall with the others - a fun idea. Michael was a perfect host (and bartender) and the bar was the place to gather after golf to discuss the various courses in the area. It seems all of the guests are golfers and it is a friendly and jolly group. I would recommend the Killeen House to anyone wishing to visit County Kerry, and especially to golfers. There are more luxurious and fancy places in the area, also lots of B&B's, but there is no more golfer friendly place to stay in all of Ireland. If you are planning a trip for yourself, or making arrangement for a group of friends like I did, don't bother to hire a golf travel agency. If you stay at the Killeen House, you can have Geraldine make the golf arrangements for you and save time and money.

• Liked — Friendly, convenient, golf orientated
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I returned to the Killeen House this May for my third stay in three years, accompanied by 6 friends and my son - all of whom had been encouraged to patronize the inn by me. We could not have been more pleased. The golf Michael arranged came off without a hitch. Hours of my own time setting up our links itinerary was saved. The food, the wine list and the facilities were outstanding.

The output of the kitchen seems to improve with each year. The only place that surpasses the dining room is the pub - a perfect gathering spot for old friends and newly met comrades for sharing stories of Ireland and golf.

But what makes Killeen House stand out is the hospitality that is showered upon the guests. Charlie, Jessica, Janet, Marguerite and all the others are service superstars. But the heart of the operation are Michael and Geraldine. I stay in more hotels than I care to think about, and no owners/managers do it better.

This place is one of a kind. I could not think about a golf trip to Ireland that did not center upon the Killeen House.

TRT/MSP

Stayed May 2008
Richfield, Ohio
Reviewed May 29, 2008

Our recent return visit to the Killeen House Hotel for 6 nights was spectacular. Our wonderful stay was due to the many ways the staff extended themselves to us, making sure all our needs were met. Thank you Jessica, Janet, Margrete, Connie and of course, Charlie. You are all amazing! The owners, Michael & Geraldine, were so welcoming . . . you are the best! We felt like we were staying with friends rather than at a hotel. They were very accommodating and helpful in planning our vacation, and we cannot say enough nice things about how they run their hotel. In addition, the Killeen House has an amazing restaurant, Rozzers. The food was absolutely outstanding, and we had dinner there all 6 nights. After a full day exploring Ireland or playing golf, it was the perfect way to end a day. Go back to our hotel and relax, have a great dinner and enjoy the warm company. To sum it up, if you want a special place to stay with a friendly atmosphere and a charm of its own, this is the place for you!

• Liked — The owners & staff
  • Disliked — There was nothing that we were disappointing in.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed May 28, 2008

For anyone considering a trip to Southwest Ireland, particulary you golfers, this is a must stayover. Michael and Geraldine Rosney are the charming proprietors of this cozy inn. The restaurant is the best in Killarney (we tried several in town that were not as good).

Going into the pub after dinner for an Irish Whiskey or a pint was fabulous.

• Liked — Warm hospitality
  • Disliked — Somewhat isolated from town
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Just returned from a magical week of golf in southwest Ireland -- the glory of the trip was greatly enhanced by staying at the Killeen House.

Michael and Geraldine and their wonderful staff (Charlie, Janet, Jessica, and the rest) provide first-class service to rival any hotel/B&B in the world. The accomodations were perfect and the food was exquisite -- I recommend the rack of lamb and daily soups. The pub was the icing on the cake; nothing better than recounting the lost strokes and lost balls over a pint of the good stuff.

The Killeen House set up all of our tee times and provided spot on directions to each course. Plus, Michael's recommendations for dining and drink in Killarney captured Ireland perfectly.

I will be back to Ireland many more times in my life, and I will never stay any place but the Killeen House.

Stayed May 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghadoe
Loch Lein Country House
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 38 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,482 reviews
The Europe Hotel & Resort

Been to Killeen House Hotel? Share your experiences!