“even better than 2006”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aghadoe
Ottawa, Canada
“even better than 2006”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I were at Killeen House hotel in 2006, so I dragged our 8 man golf group there in May 2012 for a return visit. I was worried that it might have changed with the economy, but it was BETTER! Geraldine and Michael, who is 'certifiably Irish', are overboard with the attention to detail and help in planning your days in the area, including some 'pull' at local golf courses. This is not a hotel as much as a B&B....best of both worlds. The 'honour' bar experience starts with Michael's instructions on how to properly pour a Guiness......then you are on your own to drink as you please [with a notation to the bar book]. The gourmet dining experience at Roz's draws outsiders each night so be sure to book your table ahead of time. To a man all of the lads said that they would love to return with their spouses - perhaps that would save on caddy fees. Yes, humour is a major part of this great little hotel just outside of Killarney town.....all kidding aside!
Ausnewf

Room Tip: chech their website as there is a considerable difference in room types, all being great B&B far...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
MplusG, Owner at Killeen House Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Hi Douggo and thank you very much for the outstanding review - we are really thankful to you for putting it up here on Trip Advisor

Although you took your time coming back to us (!!!) we're delighted that we still managed to live up to your expectations even after a six year lapse!

And thank you for pointing out what we consider to be our greatest strength - the fact that while we are a full service Hotel, we try to run it with the personality and warmth of a traditional B&B. (In 21 years of business, the only person we did not call by their first name when they came to visit us, was the President of Ireland, who called in for lunch a number of years ago!)

Thanks again for the review Douggo - and please don't wait six more years before gracing us all with your newfie presence again.....!

All the best to everyone. Michael & Geraldine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Canton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

What a great experience. took a group of 8 golfers and we spent 4 nights with Michael, Geraldine and their staff. Everything was perfect, rooms, food, bar all #1. But, the bigger deal is how they treat you, just like good family coming home for a few days. We will be back.

Room Tip: They are all great
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MplusG, Owner at Killeen House Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Hi and thank you very much for the super review here on Trip Advisor - we really do appreciate it

What we absolutely love to see on any review is the last four words you wrote...."We will be back"

That is without doubt the best thanks or the best compliment we can get from any guest!

We're delighted the trip went off so well for you and that the weather do not take too much from your enjoyment of the vacation, and the soft, gentle and easy golf courses you were playing.....!?!?

Thanks again and all the best to you and all the guys. Michael & Geraldine
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I am writing this knowing that it is a bit of a futile exercise because nothing can be said about the Killeen House that hasn't been articulated before. However, since I just returned from Ireland with my wife, two children and near eighty-year old father I certainly feel that I have a debt to pay to this wonderful establishment.

We chose to stay in Killarney because of the wonderful national park, the great town & easy access to day trips in the Southwest region. In addition, it put us within one half hour of close relations that we would be seeing during the week. Like many of you reading this, I use TripAdvisor as a resource to travel and I have to say it has never steered me wrong.

Upon arriving at the Killeen House we were blown away by the view of some Kerry mountains in the park-I can't recall seeing it on the website but it was a pleasant surprise that we enjoyed everyday. The owners of this house (Geraldine and Michael) are very professional, obviously intelligent and incredibly nice folks that make you feel welcome and absolutely at home for the duration of your stay. From day one my father was patting me on the back for finding such a great place with such nice people! Marguerite (sorry if this is spelled wrong) at breakfast, and Ciara were great ladies that took great care of us. Also, the "jack of all trades" and bartender Gavin was a super host that made my family very comfortable for our stay - all the way up to serving us "to go" coffee at our 5AM departure to the airport!

The huge amount of overwhelmingly positive reviews in TripAdvisor are spot on in the case of the Killeen House. If you want to have some wonderful memories of the most beautiful place in the world, Killarney's Killeen House is a no-miss prospect. I'm depressed for my kids as they have to go back to school in a week, however I'm elated that they are still on cloud nine from our time in Killarney-thank you Geraldine and Michael! We will return!

1 Thank mj_tarrant
MplusG, Owner at Killeen House Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Hi Mike and a million thanks for the stunning review - we really appreciate it!

Glad you're all safely landed back home to reality in NY, hopefully enriched with a load of happy family memories

It was a pleasure to look after you all, especially your Dad, for whom it was more of a pilgrimage than a vacation. We can only imagine the memories and emotions that the trip must have brought back to him.....

Here in the Killeen House we feel that there are three Ps that have to come together to make for a great holiday - the People, the Place and the Pace. We like to think we have them all in abundance - and we're delighted that you seem to agree with us!

Thanks again Mike and we look forward to welcoming back Clan Tarrant to the Killeen House at some future stage

All the very best to everyone. Michael & Geraldine
Ship Bottom, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We have just had another wonderful stay at the Killeen House. Our family nearly took over the place, booking 7 rooms, all of them perfect. Michael and Geraldine were so warm and welcoming, treating us like old friends and even organizing a special birthday surprise for my husband and a lovely toast to my mother-in-law.
Damien's exuberance and desire to help was amazing. Kiera, Karin and Marguerite couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Gavin's expertise as a barman was truly appreciated, as we spent a lot of quality time in the cozy bar. He greeted us as we returned from touring each day with a smile and an offer of tea or something stronger and even woke up in the wee hours of the morning to provide us with breakfast before our 5:00 AM departure for the airport. It was as if there were 87 Gavins instead of just the one.
Michael and Geraldine have reason to be proud of themselves, their staff and their sweet little hotel. They say "If you're lucky enough to be Irish, you're lucky enough." I think if you're lucky enough to stay at the Killeen House, you're lucky enough.

MplusG, Owner at Killeen House Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
What an absolutely fantastic review Eileen - thank you very much for going to all that trouble, we truly appreciate it

You and your whole family are the ideal guests for anyone to look after, because simply put, you are all genuinely NICE people, and how you treat others is how others will treat you. Even the very fact that in this review you named all the out front staff who looked after you speaks to the type of guest that you are. But please, spare us the thought of there being 87 Gavins - we have enough difficulty in keeping just one Gavin under control.....!

Thank you again so much for this review and we hope that whenever your family congregates at Thanksgiving or family events, that the Killeen House might get a little mention...

All the best of everything to each and every one of you. Michael & Geraldine
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and teenage daughter just spent 5 wonderful nights at the Killen House. The standard for us had been set fairly high as we had just come from two of Ireland's " Blue Book " properties ( Ballymaloe and Ballyvalone houses) and we had been thoroughly spoiled as a consequence. Michael and Geraldine, however, went above and beyond all expectations when it came to personal service. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The hotel is charming- loaction was one of the best attributes as it just far away enough from Killarney to get a country feel but close enough ( 10 minutes) for quick trips into town. And Killarney is hectic , jammed with tourists. The staff ( Damien, Gavin, Margaret , Karen and Kiera) went out of their way to take care of any request - tourist information, directions , laundry, local knowledge or just pleasant conversation. The owner himself offered our daughter a ride to town in lieu of a cab fare. Indeed , we felt totally at home and at ease as compared to the somewhat cool welcome and attitude we received at the more "elitist" establishments mentioned above. A great example is the fact that we stayed during the Olympics and PGA championships- many of the guests and staff would gather in the drawing room to watch the Irish competitors and cheer them on in the drawing room. Of course , the hotel caters to golfers and Michael was extremely helpful with tee times and local golf knowledge but there were plenty of non- golfers staying at the property as well.
I would be remiss if I failed to mention the food- we ate at the best restaurants in Ireland during our 18 day trip and the Killeen House stands right at the top. The food and service were sensational.

Room Tip: The only minor negative about the rooms are the heavy doors that are very loud when they shut so be...
MplusG, Owner at Killeen House Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Hello to the Monaghans and thank you all so much for the sparkling review here on Trip Advisor - we really and truly do appreciate it

It's high praise indeed to be mentioned in the same context as the two properties you stayed in prior to arriving into us here in the Killeen House. They are exceptional and high profile places that enjoy an international reputation for what they do.

We on the other hand are operating on a somewhat smaller scale and simpler level. All we strive to deliver for our guests is good food, god friendship and good water pressure.....!

And a special thank you for highlighting the quality of our food. Our Head Chef Paul, who has been with us for about 15 years now, is in our opinion as good as it gets when it come to knowing how to satisfy our guests. (even better - he's a really nice guy, which is not always the case with top class chef types....!)

Thank you all again for the wonderful review, and please feel free to tell all your friends in Colorado about this nice little place in the South-west of Ireland that you recently discovered....! (Tell them too that there's other types of golf that are a small bit of a contrast to desert golf). Michael & Geraldine
Key Biscayne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Where do I begin? My stay at the Killeen House Hotel was one of the highlights of my trip to Ireland. At first, I was skeptical because it is not walking distance to the city center and I did not have a car. However, it worked out very well for me and it was not an issue at all. The owners, Geraldine and Michael, go above and beyond to help you out in any way they can. At one point, I was not feeling well from a bad cold and Michael drove me to the pharmacy himself. They also took me to the bus station the day of my departure. The service was impeccable and every member of their staff made sure you were comfortable and well looked after. The property itself is simply gorgeous and the grounds are just lovely! It truly is a hidden gem/oasis just minutes from Killarney's bustling town center. It was a blissful respite after arriving into town and not feeling very well. They even brought a "hot whiskey" to my room upon arrival. (It's an old Irish remedy for a sore throat/cough) You have everything you need on the property...a cozy bar (with self-service beer on tap!) and one of the best restaurants in Ireland (deserves a review of it's own!) My room was large, airy, clean and the beds extremely comfortable. The best part was the awesome water pressure in the bathroom! Moreover, my experience at the Killeen house is one I will not soon forget. Geraldine, Michael and the rest of the staff really do spoil you and I can't wait to go back one day! Thank you for making my stay so memorable! :-)
~Elizabeth~

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank kbgirl21
Hi Elizabeth.

A million thanks for the wonderful review here on Trip Advisor - we are really thankful to you

It was a pleasure looking after you during the Killarney part of your trip and we hope the rest of it went off just as well for you. As a solo lady traveller to Ireland, who was using only public transport, we are really happy that you enjoyed yourself so much, because it goes to show what a warm and friendly - and of course, very safe - country we have for all our overseas tourists

And we're glad that your little malady didn't stop you from getting out and about and having a great time both downtown and in the National Park - that hot whiskey is mighty stuff as we say over here....!

Thank you again Elizabeth and hopefully we will see you back again in the Killeen House at some future stage, this time maybe with your Mom and the kids accompanying you....!

PS Thank you also for posting the pictures - they're great and really add to a review.

Michael & Geraldine
Toms River, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family and I had the extreme pleasure of staying at the Killeen House recently. What a truly wonderful little hotel, pub & restaurant Michael & Geraldine have created! From the quaint picturesque setting to the beautifully decorated rooms, we were just blown away with the service, hospitality, and the feeling the minute you walked in and were greeted by Geralidine's warm welcome that you were part of their family! The rooms were spacious, clean & suited all of our needs perfectly (we had a large party...12 of us!). Proximity to the little town of Killarney is great, and Michael even drove me, my son & brother-in-law into town one afternoon to shop to save us cab fare. Where does that happen anymore! We have never experienced such excellent service by a hotel staff in our lives. Our wish was literally their command!! And they were always happy, smiling & eager to make our stay the best it could be! I would HIGHLY recommend you give the Killeen House a visit if you are traveling in the Killarney area. If we are ever lucky enough to get back to beautiful Ireland, there is no doubt where we will be staying!!

Sharon, John & JJ Flanagan

MplusG, Owner at Killeen House Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Hi Sharon and thank you very much for the glowing review - we are really grateful to you for taking the time and trouble to write it and post it up here on Trip Advisor

Yours is a great and special family that we really enjoyed looking after and it was a pleasure to see how much you all truly enjoyed both Ireland and each other's company...... (We know from experience that these big, extended family vacations do not always turn out to be all that it was hoped they would be!)

We had a great time looking after you all and I know that we will have the pleasure of some or all of you visiting us again here in the Killeen House in the future.

In the meantime, keep well, keep happy, and please keep on talking about this lovely little place that you know about in Ireland!

Thanks again Sharon and hope your Boss appreciates that shot glass..... Michael & Geraldine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghadoe
Loch Lein Country House
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 39 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,458 reviews
The Europe Hotel & Resort

Been to Killeen House Hotel? Share your experiences!