Billed as a five star hotel, this is a bit of stretch. It is a solid four star but little more than that. The hotel does not impress from the outside, but upon entering, it has a cosy, trendy, boutique feel to it. And the common areas are quite limited in size too.
I'm sure many of the rooms are fitted out in the same trendy fashion as the rest of the hotel, but the family rooms are very, very tired and don't seem to have been touched since the mid 80s. In fact it was very disappointing to transition into such rooms after the trendy decor of the rest of the building. This stark contrasting style, with odd, mismatched furniture, heavily used, scraped and marked, threadworn carpet with no bounce whatsoever, along with a CRT TV that was at least 20 years old (replete with burnt plastic casing) seriously disappoints and clarifies the view that this hotel is not particularly interested in families or children. (A point reinforced by the restaurant's policy banning children after 7.00pm.) When challenged about both, the staff seemed disinterested and basically take the stance of this is the way that it is and so what?
Another gripe is the shuttle service into Killarney. It's a one way service, forcing you to take a taxi back, even though the bus would be coming into town anyhow! The is no logic to this policy and obviously a scam to support local taxis.
The lounge bar and food is satisfactory, but over €16 for mediocre burger leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The health club is OK, but the pool area is less attractive than the photos suggest and is over chlorinated and has peeling paint all over the place. The changing rooms were unbelievable. I've been in toilet cubicles that were roomier!
On the upside the breakfast in the restaurant was outstanding. Excellent food, ambiance, and even better waiting staff.
Price wise, the hotel overall is reasonable, compared to other five star hotels, but as I've described above, that's understandable. You get what you pay for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just outside Killarney town with breathtaking views of the lakes and mountains. This five star hotel is renowned for outstanding service, luxurious accommodation, award winning cuisine and for it's multiple award winning Resort Spa & therapists. Interconnecting and Family Rooms available. Guests can avail of complimentary Parking, Wifi, Daily Papers, Breakfast, Indoor Heated Pool, Gym, Media Room, Drying Room for Golfers and Fisherman, DVD Library, Tennis Courts and Shuttle Service to Killarney Town Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aghadoe Heights Hotel And Spa
- Aghadoe Heights Hotel Killarney
- Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa Ireland - Killarney