“Little dissapointed”

Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aghadoe
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed mid-week and maybe expectations were too high but there could have been a lot more attention to detail in the hotel. There were no chairs/table on the balcony to take in the beautiful view. The door to the adjoining room was unlocked (thankfully it was not in use!). There were no tea/coffee making facilities on arrival, however later in the evening, a tray was in our room but had tarnished tea spoons and no biscuits! The bar menu was ok, nothing special and a little bit overpriced. Homemade burger at €16 and banofee pie at €8! Our room was below the bar area and footsteps and the piano playing were very clear to hear until almost 11pm from our room. I also thought being a 5 star hotel, our bed clothes would have been turned down on return at night and perhaps some chocolates on pillow but unfortunately not. The bathroom was very nice and the room and bathroom also had a beautiful scent thoughout our stay. The room decor was only ok - it could probably do with a revamp and maybe a flatscreen TV would look nicer rather than an old small portable on a drawer unit.The spa was quite nice - maybe a discreet tour of where every area in the spa was located at first would have helped. The staff at the hotel were excellent however and were very helpful and obliging. Would stay again but might check out other hotels overlooking the lakes first.

Room Tip: Request a room in quite area if you are looking for an early night's sleep
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jellycat_12
Write a ReviewReviews (1,561)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

spent three nights at this hotel with my husband and I have to say it was the best and most relaxing stay at a hotel I have had. From the minute we arrived until we left all the staff were efficient and very friendly and nothing was too much for them. The food was beautiful from breakfast (the choice was endless) to afternoon tea and dinner we could not fault anything. The bedroom was large and the view of the lake and the mountains from the window was breadthtaking. I can't comment on the spa as I did'nt avail of it maybe if I am lucky enough to stay here again I will.

Room Tip: We stayed in a lake room and were very happy with it. Slept like logs
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have just had a super family weekend in the Aghadoe Heights hotel The service was faultless. From the warm reception on arrival, the helpful concierge and all his local knowledge,the efficient and cheerful breakfast staff, the professional restaurant guys, the skilled spa team and the very entertaining bar staff...we were brilliantly hosted. Our room had lovely views - needs one good reading light though - . Kids had a ball in the pool and kids club. The walks nearby are super. We will be back for sure. Thank you

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have just returned from staying at this beautiful hotel for our honeymoon. What a superb experience we had! The facilities are outstanding with a spa that is just fantastic. The range of treatments available and the facilities in the pool and thermal spa made it a great place to relax and unwind. The therapists, Amanda and Brenda were very calming and allowed us to enjoy our treatments. The food is unbelievable, David and Maura in particular were so friendly and welcoming. Our room was stunning, with a breathtaking view of the lakes. Overall, the hotel and facilities were faultless, the staff were exceptionally helpful and this made our honeymoon one to remember.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Excellent location location location. We booked a suite for extra space. The spa is intimate and not very busy, with quite and sensitive relaxation areas. Room service is excellent and rooms although starting to need a little TLC is overlooked becuase of the excellent service and extra touches. Jelly beans at turndown and full weather report. Food is also amazing and the views are incredible from front rooms.
The hotel itself looks strange from the outside on arrival, like an 1960 factory but once inside that all disappears. Staff were excellent in every way but some guests a little "affected" by their own importance.

Room Tip: Request a lake view room if not you could end up overlooking the car park or hedge. Rooms seem to di...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Myself and my partner dined in The Lake Room restaurant in late September, the hotel is in a beautiful location, and the decor inside the bar and restaurant is very relaxed and inviting. As for the meal, all courses were excellent, just the right amount and executed impeccably. I had the chicken and my partner had the duck, both were beautiful. I loved the attention to detail put into the desserts - mine was a selection of mini chocolate desserts containing varied amounts of cocoa. Perfect for a chocoholic like myself! I also can not compliment the staff enough, everyone was very friendly, service was quick and we felt very looked after. We will definitely be returning again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I arrived for our third visit to Aghadoe Heights, I just can't get enough of this place. This time we treated ourselves to a Lakeside Suite and I didn't want to leave.
The view from the room overlooking the Killarney lakes and mountains is just breathtaking, you could stare at it all day and not get bored. The room was beautiful, I particularly loved the bathroom which has a huge free standing bath, loved it.
This hotel seems to just have a natural serenity about it, you can't help but feel relaxed. The service is excellent, the staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We were also given complimentary tickets to a show in Killarney INEC which we really enjoyed.
The spa is like heaven on earth! What I liked about it though is that the therapist gave me great feedback on my skin type and things I can do to help it etc.
The breakfast service is excellent, a great choice of things to have for every sort of diet and the lady who takes the orders is always welcoming and friendly.
We had dinner in the lounge on one evening, on the big comfy couches overlooking the lakes. The food was beautiful and the views are just fantastic.

All in all I can't say enough good things about this hotel and I can't wait to go back for our next stay.

Room Tip: Book a room with views of the lake
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghadoe
1 mi away
#15 of 38 in Killarney
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#8 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!