“Outstanding Hotel”

Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aghadoe
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I recently returned to Aghadoe Heights Hotel for a weekend, as we try to do at least once a year. As usual the experience was wonderful and we left totally refreshed, inspired and thoroughly looking forward to returning. Aghadoe has all the normal things one expects of a 5star hotel and then so much more. To me the thing that sets them apart is the staff. I am not sure how such a collection of helpful, talented, conscientious, entertaining and warm people was assembled, but in my opinion they are simply peerless. From booking at reception with Siobhan, to having drink with Stephen to dining with PC, they are absolute professionals and totally on top of their game. We sometimes stay in different hotels, but always feel we missed out, as we could have gone to Aghadoe instead. Life is too short to waste - we will stay at Aghadoe in future. Tim

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,561)

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here with 9 friends for one night, availing of a dinner, bed & breakfast offer. The purpose of the trip was a long overdue catch up, and to celebrate two birthdays. We contacted the hotel ahead of time, & others in the area, explained what we’re looking for (rooms close together, dinner, B&B), and they offered us a good package so we choose Aghadoe Heights. About half of our group had stayed there before also, myself included.

On arrival we were greeted with a smile, and checked in efficiently, and our bags brought to our room. Regarding the rooms, the view is AMAZING, it catches your attention and takes your breath away the moment you walk in. We immediately sat out on the balcony, just relaxing, savouring the view, enjoying the break from work, husbands, children, etc. and waiting for our friends to arrive....at 7pm we had "sundowners" on one of the balconies, which we had prearranged with the hotel. As a result of having our aperitifs in the room, we decided not to go to the bar before dinner.

Our table was booked at 8pm. We arrived in the restaurant pretty promptly, all together at about 8.05. On arrival we could see our table was ready for us; however the Maître D' asked us to please go to the bar for a drink first. So off we went to the bar. However, on arrival in the bar, we were advised that there was no room for us there, and to go back to the restaurant. So somewhat perturbed we all trooped back to the restaurant again. All of us found this process of being moved from pillar to post quite embarrassing, but we were assured once we were settled and comfortable at our table that we were welcome to stay there for the night.

The meal was very good - I ordered the crab tian - very good, and my friend ordered the scallops, both of which we shared, and both were delicious. Beautifully presented. Then for a main I had the Duck, based on recommendations read on Trip Advisor before hand - also delicious!! I chose the cheese for dessert, also very good. The staff also presented us with birthday cake for the two girls celebrating birthdays (I was one!) and we were delighted. We also offered teas and coffees.

Then at 11.25 (we were seated at about 8.15) the staff came over and told us we had to leave the table because they had to get set up for breakfast. Some girls were still drinking coffee so we asked for 20 mins more - we were told NO! Go to the Bar! When I was in University I worked for 3 years at a fine dining restaurant here in Cork city and never once did we insist customers leave a table, especially if they weren't finished?! The mind boggles. I can understand the earlier misunderstanding, as we were told afterwards that the gentleman who escorted us from the bar to the restaurant didn't realise the restaurant had just sent us to the bar. But to chase us from the restaurant for the second time that night, having earlier assured us that we were welcome to stay as long as we liked, is completely unacceptable as far as I am concerned. I have to wonder if it was to do with the fact that we had stopped ordering alcohol at the table, and had moved onto teas & coffees? Are the restaurant staff encouraged to try to get guests to also go to the bar, to prop up the bar takings? We were not a Hen party but a group of 10 hardworking people who just wanted a chance to catch up with friends in a lovely surrounding.

The following morning for breakfast, many of our group ordered room service, however 3 of us ate in the restaurant, and were served by the charming Michael. Choices for breakfast are varied and delicious. I had the baked eggs with asparagus and emmenthal cheese - a bit overcooked.

I love this hotel, I stayed here just before my first son was born 5 years ago and really enjoyed the tranquility, the views and the Spa. I think they should not have offered us the package of dinner B&B if they weren't going to accommodate us as a group, rather than making us feel like we were "in the way".

We explained on check out that we weren't very happy with being shepparded around repeatedly between the bar & restaurant and were offered an explanation for being moved the first time, but not the second time. However the gentleman we spoke to was very apologetic and assured us that it certainly was not their intention to make us feel unwelcome or uncomforable. Mistakes can happen I know, and I hope they will take this feedback into consideration going forward when booking groups. If it is only couples you want, then don't offer special deals to groups.

Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank MCJ531
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in September with our toy poodle. Initially we chose it over other 5 star hotels in the area because it was dog friendly but after staying we would go back even without our dog!
It was exceptional. The room was huge and beautifully decorated. The bed was comfortable and super king size . The view was spectacular – looking out directly onto the Lakes of Killarney.
We ate in the restaurant every night, and at breakfast, and the food was superb , truly 5 star.
But above all the staff in the hotel were some of the most friendly people I have ever encountered, even by the standards of Ireland where the welcome is always warm. It is this that sets it apart from most 5 star hotels.
My husband and I have travelled extensively and stayed in many excellent hotels such as Ritz Carlton, Four seasons , Marriott ,Loews, Westin etc. Many were excellent hotels and we are certainly used to, and expect a high standard when we travel, but I can truly say that none could live up to this hotel. Every member of staff made us and our doggie feel very welcome and they even remembered our poodles name when we arrived back in the evening, or at dinner, and enquired about her day !
The concierge and receptionist were wonderfully friendly and gave great advice about things to do and we had a great chat with them about what we had done that day when we arrived back in the evenings.
The lady who took our orders at breakfast was adept at persuading us to over eat and indulge in the wonderful sausages (even when my husband ordered porridge he was persuaded (easily!) to take the sausages on the side because he had complimented them on how wonderful they were the day before ) We truly felt spoiled!
Our wee dog was really welcomed and they had a VIP (Very Important Pooch) programme. They had doggie room service and provided a doggie bed and bowl. Truly exceptional! Even the room was dog friendly with a door opening directly out onto the grass .
Even when we were leaving they went the extra mile offering fresh water to take with us in the car for the journey home.
We were sorry to leave and can’t wait to visit again.

P.S We can't rate the spa - we didn't try it

Room Tip: best to pay extra for a lake view it truly is exceptional and worth the money
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed for the weekend in a party of three with two elderly companions. Was really pleased with the experience. the hotel is an oasis if you want a break from it all rather than a party blow out. Would love to get back soon with partner for weekend and also use the spa facilities next time. I am not sure I would bring my children - not saying they wouldnt get a welcome from the staff but not sure the other guests would appreciate it. The majority of people staying last weekend were couples. And the restaurant was VERY quiet at breakfast. Having said all that the service and staff were second to none. Nothing was too much trouble. Lovely comfortable rooms with lake views - stunning. While I appreciate that this is a five star hotel I would still like to see the restaurant (in the current climate) increase its range of wines in the 20 to 30 euro bracket. We had a lovely sancerre for dinner but at 48 euro it was steep.

Room Tip: Lake view room is a must
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was my second visit to the Sap at The Aghadoe Heights Hotel. I wasn’t blown away to be honest on my first visit but they had a good online offer so my friend & I(who hadn’t been before) decided to go & give it a try.
The heat in there was almost unbearable, almost sickly, perhaps some people quite like that but for me it was a bit much. When I mentioned it they did give me icy water & ice cubs in a flannel to help cool me down which I was grateful for.
One thing I found odd from my first time which they did again on this visit is that you take your shoes (+ socks) off at the spa reception & put them in a basket. You're given very comfy flip flops to wear then. Normally you would change your shoes in the dressing rooms & put on the slippers or flip flops provided in there. Again, perhaps it’s just me that finds this strange.
My treatment was nice, not the best Indian Head Massage ever but nice none the same. Therapist was a lovely girl, quite chatty.
The relaxation area is nice, iPod’s with classical/easy listening music etc. If it wasn’t so hot in there I'd have found it more comfortable.
Overall I was happy but just a few things which I would prefer different. They do regular offers so worth checking out their website.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here on Saturday nite- we were not a hen party, but we felt like we were treated like one.
They shouldn't encourage group bookings if they are not willing to treat them the same as other guests.

Parts of the hotel deserve a 5 star review, so i feel like i should highlight the positives.

- The spa is magnificent
- The front of house service is excellent- efficient and friendly
- The rooms are large, and the view is unparalleled.
- The atmosphere in the restaurant is lovely. Food is very good- although not amazing.
- The shuttle bus service is a great addition (although you'd expect this with a 5 star hotel a few miles out anyway)

That said, we felt like we were treated like 2nd class citizens in the restaurant. We were NOT loud, we were 10 girls excited to get away for the nite but we were not like a hen party. We went into the bar for a drink before dinner and the bar manager came straight over to us and said 'Girls it would be better if you went straight to your table, you'd be more comfortable'. Which we thought was strange. He even said ''I'll leave you there for the nite and wont budge you again!''.. to which he meant ''please dont come back to the bar.''..

After all of that, at 11.30 someone else came back over to us in the restaurant and said ''The staff need to set up this table for breakfast now, i'm going to have to move you into the bar''...which we did, but there was nobody behind the bar nor and we couldnt attract anyone's attention to get served. This went on for 45 mins and eventually we left.

i would like to go back as a couple and try it out under different circumstances- that said, i dont know would i give them a 2nd chance either, not when there are so many fantastic hotels in Killarney or elsewhere in Kerry. I suppose it was just a bad choice for a girls night away in hindsight.

Room Tip: Rooms 401 - 421 all have magnificent views of the lakes.
4  Thank WonkaBilly
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The staff of this stunning hotel left me speechless. The manager was the best! We were there for a wedding and the venue was perfect! Food was orgasmic! It really was. The breakfasts were my Fav too. Great menus to choose from. I loved our room and the views. I cannot wait to be there again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghadoe
1 mi away
#15 of 38 in Killarney
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#8 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!