“Worth the Drive”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Chamblee, Georgia, United States
“Worth the Drive”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Yoder's Deitsch Haus Restaurant & Bakery is a favorite middle Georgia meeting place and lunch destination for our family with branches living in Atlanta, Macon, and Albany. Arrive hungry because this Southern style cafeteria will have you completely filled after eating their various offerings. My favorite entrees are the shredded ham with pineapple and the fried chicken. The vegetables are fresh and good. Most of the food likely is grown on the surrounding Amish/Mennonite farms. The salad bar is just mediocre and could be improved. Since a bakery is housed in the building, the various pies are especially tempting and hard to pass up. Shoefly pie, with its cane molasses base, might be an acquired taste but a rare find and worth having for the adventurous diner. Folks know about this out of the way restaurant because there seems to always be a crowd there. Word of mouth likely has given it a deserved very good reputation for this type of dining. It is definitely worth the extra drive!

• Visited December 2013

Atlanta, GA
“Southern cooking with an Amish/Mennonite Flair!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Whenever I am within driving distance of Montezuma, I try to go to Yoder's. It's a family style restaurant with great Southern entrees and vegetables. They have their own bakery, so don't worry about saving room for dessert - just get a treat to go as well as some amazing fresh bread. It's an acquired taste, but Yoder's might be the only place in Georgia with homemade Shoefly Pie and it was close to my Grandmother's from Pennsylvania. Sometimes, there is a bit of a wait, but it moves fast. The prices are reasonable and the service is very friendly. Just make sure you arrive hungry!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MikeMoAtl
Dallas, Georgia
“Great Pound Cake”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Went there for dinner but it wasn't open. We got there too early. We instead got a Sour Cream Pound Cake and it was delicious! The cookies were good too!

• Visited August 2013
Sarasota, Florida
“Love this place!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The food is great here. The staff is so friendly. Reminds me of Grandma's cooking. Good homemade Amish/Mennonite cooking.

• Visited August 2013
Tyrone, Georgia
“Glad we stopped!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My kids were not at all happy when we pulled up at 11:30 and there was a line was across the front of the building and around to the side. I told them that I had not driven the distance I had to turn around and leave and we were waiting. 40 minutes later we had trays full of food and they were happy. There is no signage telling what the prices are and I really don't like being surprised but the four of us ate, including desserts, for $40.00. I'm assuming the menu changes daily because I have seen other reviews refer to food that was not being offered that day. I had Swedish meatballs and my kids all went for link sausage. The side items were good especially the broccoli casserole. They had about 12 different pies being offered and it was obvious they were homemade. We all chose something different. The only thing we did not care for was the Shoefly. The banana cream and lemon pies were the best we ever had. All in all, it was worth the trip and wait. The service was great, kept our glasses refilled. Having not expected such a wait, we were a little off schedule so we did not make it into the shop across the parking lot.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank PatriotGal

Been to Yoder's Restaurant? Share your experiences!