“Great home style food”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Jonesboro, Georgia
“Great home style food”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We dined at Yoder's Restaurant in Montezuma, GA again today. The food was very good and a good price too. I had the fried chicken breast, mashed potatoes, green beans, cinnamon apples, roll, salad, coconut cream pie and iced tea. My eyes were too big for my stomach. I was stuffed when I finished but very happy. My wife had the meat loaf, turnip greens, apples, cornbread, pecan pie and iced tea. She loved it and was too full also. Everything was great but we must say that the pies were the best! All that food came to $21.51. You pay for what you chose...the meat was $2.30, veg $1.40, bread .25, and the wonderful pie was $1.75, large salad $1.60. If I had been wiser I would have skipped 1 veg and the salad and still have been full and saved $3.00. The next time we are in the area we will be stopping and dining again. Oh I almost forgot the bakery! Wonderful sweets and breads to go. One more thing...the Mennonite girls that wait on you are super sweet and thoughtful. They look so cute in their traditional outfits they could be American girl dolls.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank cliff c

Loudon, Tennessee
“Now this is good eatin'”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

A "slice" of Mennonite Amish eating in the heart of South Georgia. The shredded ham is awsume. The shredded roast beef is right there with it. The veggies are great. But LEAVE ROOM FOR THE PIE (I love the coconut cream my-own-self). It's just 15 miles east of Unadilla, GA. and I-75 (exit 122).....about 50 miles South of Macon.
Don't be suprised that the restaurant sits in the middle of a field. The area around the cafeteria-style restaurant looks and feels like you're in Lancaster County, PA.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank John B
Silverton, Colorado
“Had mostly good experiences there.”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

When I first moved to South Georgia back in the early 90's, my dad used to take us often to Yoder's and it was some of the best food around. I ate there periodically over the years and it was always a treat to go there, however not long after my husband and I moved away, we came back to town to attend a funeral and the last time I ate there was kind of disappointing. The Roast Beef which is usually delicious, tasted old and looked like it had been left over from a couple of days. The vegetables did as well. What really disappointed me was their usually clean restrooms were absolutely filthy. The ladies room when I could see because the light was flickering off and on so you couldn't see well enough to even use the restroom was dirty and all of the toilets were unflushed. My husband snuck me into the men's bathroom and what I found in there made me decide I didn't really have to go as bad as I had thought and decided I could hold it. I won't go into detail as it was pretty gross. Needless to say, my stomach wasn't feeling too good by the time we left, and as much as I hate to say it because I had loved Yoder's for so long, I don't really know if I can stomach eating there again. I do plan to give it another try if we ever get back to that area, but it will be hard for me to forget that last experience. I gave the service a poor rating not because the service on the line was bad, but because of the way the restrooms looked.

• Visited June 2012
metro Atlanta
“Worth the drive for the desserts”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Cafeteria style - cole slaw is very good. Fried chicken is pretty good, but not outstanding. Okra has been only slightly warm both times we've ordered it. Cream corn is pretty good, if you like it really creamy and sweet. Doesn't take long to get through the line, even when a bus is there and there's plenty of seating, even on Saturdays at lunch. The draw for us is the desserts - they are to die for. The coconut cream pie is the best I've ever had, except for my mom's. And the chocolate cream isn't far behind. Be sure to check out the bakery - you can buy whole cakes, pies, cookies, brownies to take with you. The hardest part is making a selection. The German chocolate cake is quite good. All the desserts are very reasonably priced - about half what you'd pay in the Atlanta area.

The gift shop also carries homemade jellies, jams, preserves and other non-food items. Spend some time there, too.

GPS/Mapquest/Google maps don't recognize the address - just go Hwy 26 E of Montezuma and you'll find it.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank retired-luvnit
Macon, GA
“Mennonite family cooking - affordable and tasty”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Yoder's is a southern-style homecooking restaurant operated by local Mennonites. The food is served through a cafeteria line, and you can select from several meats and vegetables. The desserts are wonderful. Sadly, you'll be in pain later on, because after stuffing yourself in the restaurant, you'll smell the bakery, and have to get some of their wonderful bread and pies to take home (the oatmeal raisin bread is terrific!) Restaurant is very plain, VERY casual -- this is a place for the food, not the setting.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank South_Georgia_boy

Been to Yoder's Restaurant? Share your experiences!