“Restaurant from the Past”
Review of Captain Joe's

Captain Joe's
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Midway
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: We are a local family owned seafood restaurant. We have a wide variety of menu options to make every seafood or land lover happy. Great for a quick lunch or a nice casual dinner with friends and family. Come see us today! We have banquet rooms for events and business meetings. Our fans win free dinners!
Columbia, South Carolina
“Restaurant from the Past”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

On our way to Florida from Columbia, SC., we stopped at Captain Joe's for some famous local popcorn shrimp. We were not disappointed! Along with the tasty shrimp was a plate full of hush-puppies and fries. Even the coleslaw was outstanding. Tina waited on us and remembere me from a previous visit there in April. If you are hankering for just fresh seafood, this is the place to stop off like what the old restaurants used to be. Local management, local service, local food all added to an enjoyable lunch. Again, order the small popcorn shrimp. You will we glad you did.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Budrock9

Atlanta, Georgia
“Keep Driving”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stopped primarily because I needed to use the restroom and this restaurant was the only stop on that road that seemed like the middle of no where. I decided to grab a bit to eat while we were there in an attempt to make up for time for the stop. I was super excited because we were coastal so the fish would be fresh and packed with flavor. I was so wrong. I ordered the catch of the day ( which the server said was grouper). Grouper is my absolute favorite fish and I can tell you that it wasn't caught that day AND nor was it grouper. It tasted like frozen cat fish. The server asked if I wanted one filet or two. I said one and she brought back two. In hindsight, I should have asked for a half of a half. It was not good. The fries were good, but they were fries, it's hard to mess up fries. My husband did think the pecan pie was good. So if you want to stop here for dessert do that, but the main course leaves a lot to be desired. It took a while to flag down the server for the check as she was carrying on a LONG conversation with a couple of older ladies at another table. Bottom Line: We will not come here again.

• Visited July 2013
Galena, Illinois
“Average seafood at best....”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Ate at Captain Joe's while visiting family and was very disappointed. Having grown up on the Georgia coast I was hoping to get some fresh, local seafood but I am not sure that is what was delivered. I ordered the catch of the day, broiled grouper, which came out soaked in butter. My wife ordered the salmon which was so dry she could not eat it. Another in our party ordered the trout but it looked like frozen fish that had been microwaved. I will say that everyone that got a fried dish was happy with it and the salad bar is very good. Not sure I would recommend anyone come here if they are really looking for good, local seafood.

• Visited August 2013
“Terrible service”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My son asked for Ranch Dressing when he placed his order, which the waitress acknowledged. She brought the drinks, then the food and vanished. Saw her once going by the table, tried to flag her down and she walked by without any hesitation. Next thing we knew she left the resturant. Had to go to another server to get the Ranch Dressing but never once was checked on again. Never got a ticket and had to ask the manager for one when we went to pay. Told her of the issues, was curtly told "sorry" and that next time I should avoid the waitress's section.
The food is "OK" at best and the service is too low to rate. Not worth the effort to try; avoid if at all possible.

Visited July 2013
“Made me sick”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Ordered a sirloin steak and received a cheese tasting freezer burnt piece of meat. When the waitress gave me another steak it was a ribeye. Very discourteous service. At that point I was fed up and told the waitress to feed the replacement steak to a dog

• Visited July 2013