“Clueless Night Staff”

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in McDonough
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Clueless Night Staff”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Got to this property around 1 AM the other night after a 10 hour drive with my wife and two kids under 3 years old. Needless to say I was ready for some peace and rest.

Parked under the canopy and was greeted with a handwritten, unprofessional sign that the hotel was sold out. No worries, I had a reservation and am a Marriott Gold Elite member. Entered the alcove through the first set of automatic doors, and the next set are shut with a sign that says to use your room key to enter or use the phone on the wall which calls the front desk. Picked up the phone and could hear the front desk phone ring. And ring. And ring... You get the idea.

After 5-7 minutes of this, got out my cell phone and called the property from inside the alcove. Ring... Ring..
Ring...

At this point I'm getting annoyed, so try to see if the middle automatic doors can be pried open. With some work, they could be and so I did. Got through and walked to the front desk, dropped my bags loudly thinking someone behind the desk would come out... Crickets. Waited another couple minutes thinking maybe the person was in the restroom or something.. Nothing.

Finally I shouted, in a voice no louder than the ringing of the telephone "is anyone working here?" Immediately pops out a young lady from behind the front desk wall. I inform her how long I have been there calling and waiting and she explains that she is required to fold towels and could not hear the phone. I asked her, wouldn't you be expecting guests to still arrive if the hotel is sold out and you still have reservations which have not checked in yet? At that point she kindly informed me that "I ain't tryin to go back and forth wit you" about the situation.

Fine, just give me my room key. Even that took 10 more minutes.

Room was standard and no issues with it. Parking was nonexistent because the lot was filled, I mean filled with trucks for an electric company that were each so big they had to take up two spaces.

As a gold elite member who pays for a good 75 nights a year at Marriotts, this experience left an awfully sour taste in my mouth.

Get it together.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank crackedpulse
Fairfield M, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta McDonough, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. I am very sorry about your arrival experience at our hotel. Please rest assured that we take customer service very seriously and when a team member fails to deliver, it is a reflection on the entire staff. The concerns you have shared have been addressed and we have put procedures in place for this incident not to occur in the future .

The next time your travels bring you to the McDonough area, I hope that Fairfield Inn & Suites wil still be your choice of hotels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Florissant, Missouri, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on points while on our way to Florida. The hotel was very clean and appeared to be fairly new. Our room was right across from the elevators but still quiet. The room was well appointed with desk, keyboard, 2 additional chairs, and those great Fairfield beds. I do prefer a room with the sink seperate from the rest of the bath but that would be my only complaint. The breakfast was wonderful with scrambled eggs, sausage, and waffles along with continental offerings. I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014
Fairfield M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta McDonough, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! These are the types of things we love to hear!
Reviewed April 5, 2014

The room was just OK, there were remmovations being done in the hallway and there was a children's softball team staying on our floor. Kids running up and down the hallways, Ice machine clanking all night, stairs were busy with kids. We get almost no sleep. The bed was just ok and the room could have been cleaner. The staff was nice and the check in and out process was perfect.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Fairfield M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta McDonough, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Good day! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. I am terribly sorry that we still had work going on at the property during your stay. I am also sorry that the softball teams we had in house were not considerate of other guests in the hotel, we tried to manage the noise as much as possible along with the chaperones and address any issues that came up. When it comes to your room, it definitely should have beed spotless uponm check-in. If you don't mind I would love to hear in more detail about what exactly was wrong in your room so that I am able to address this with my team. Please contact the hotel and ask for Marcia Brandon, I am available at your convenience. Thank you for your time.
Archer, Florida
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Room had musty odor. There was cigarettes left at edge of bed. There were what appeared to be gunshot holes in the wall that were covered up poorly. The bed wasnt comfortable and the linen didnt smell fresh. There were bugs crawling and the deadbolt was missing. It was a cheap room. I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank chandrad05
Fairfield M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta McDonough, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Good evening,

Let me start by apologizing about the experience you had while staying at our hotel. From your comments I can clearly see that your stay was less than satisfactory. I can assure you that this is not how we operate our hotel, our goal to ensure that each guest receives the type of service that will make them want to return and you were no exception. You can be confident that I have shared your comments with my team to ensure that other guest do not have the same unfortunate experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies and give us allow us to demonstrate our commitment to your comfort when you return to our hotel.

Thank you for your time.
Valley Stream
Reviewed February 17, 2014

First, I want to say that the staff here is first rate. My wife and I arrived just before an ice storm was approaching. Not a good way to start a supposed one night stay in the area. The staff checked us in quickly and with good humor. The hotel was undergoing a little renovation and it did not affect us at all. We went out that night and got back with no problems.
The next morning we awoke to a 1/2 in or more coating of ice outside and a helpless feeling. We went to get breakfast and it was a filling, typical breakfast for a Fairfield Inn. Then I went outside and went to see about the car. I was able to heat up the care and get it deiced. The problem for me was that the Delta was canceling all flights and the Fairfield was booked solid. I told the front desk that I would like to stay another night and they let me know that they were not getting a lot of cancellations. The called around and found a couple of hotels for us to call and we did. The staff was great that way.
We were stuck for two more days in the Atlanta area but at another hotel.
I would stay here again IF I ever come back.
Oh yeah, a nice touch. The night we checked in I went to the business center and they had a big pot of, I think, chicken noodle soup out for anyone to have. I had just eaten so did not partake but I thought it was a nice touch on a cold night leading into a storm.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank librarian81
Good Evening!

I am so glad to hear that we took care of you while you were in our fine city! The ice storm was quite interesting but we did our best to make it fun for our guests since we were going to be there for a while. Please come back and see us soon, we look forward to welcoming you back!
Southwest Gulf Coast, Florida
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We recently stayed at the Fairfield Inn McDonough on our way home from Florida. We had a lovely suite room on the backside of the hotel. The bathroom was especially large with plenty of counter space for our toiletries. The room was clean and very quiet; we did not hear any street noise. The staff was very friendly and accommodating at check-in and checkout. My only slightly negative comment is the breakfast buffet was average. Minimal offerings, only fruit was bananas and I had to ask for ice water. For all the other positive reasons, I highly recommend this hotel and plan to use it again when in the area.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms on back side of hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Fairfield M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta McDonough, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive comments. We appreciate you taking the time to share your satsifaction with others! Please stay with us again soon!
Appleby-in-Westmorland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here after travelling to Atlanta from Manchester, England. We were driving to Savannah and this was a convenient distance to escape the city but be relatively close so that we did not have too far to drive after a long flight. The hotel was easy to find and handy for the interstate. As we always find with the Marriott brand, the staff were friendly and helpful. We had several options for eating nearby and there were restaurants within walking distance, even in the unseasonably cold weather. The room was clean, large and comfortable. The only negative points were that we could hear someone in a nearby room snoring (maybe they had a very loud snore) and that even just after the breakfast room opened at 7am it was full and we had to eat in the lobby. The food wasn't replenished very quickly either. This could have been because there were several families that were making an early start and were all eating early.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple