“Started out rough...but ended good”

Courtyard Atlanta McDonough
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in McDonough
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Started out rough...but ended good”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Was out of town for work with my wife. Decided to take a night for ourselves before heading home. Arrived at the hotel at about noon on a Saturday. Found a great rate ($85 for the night on Expedia). Went inside to ask if they would honor the online quote, and was told by a hotel staff member that they would not. Not a problem, I would just reserve it online. 2 minutes later, I was back in front of her with my confirmation email from Expedia. After giving her my confirmation, I was told that the confirmation supplied by Expedia ment nothing to her as it did not start with an "8". After showing her the confirmation and proof that the room was paid for, I was promptly told again that the email ment nothing to her as the confirmation did not start with an "8". As I began to tell her that what she was telling ME ment nothing, and it sounds like this hotel and it's venders have a problem, a manager saw my frustration and stepped in, telling the employee to do a simple name search to find the reservation. Low and behold, there it was. This is a new hotel, so I will cut some slack as to the training of the employees....HOWEVER...making someone feel welcome has nothing to do with being trained. This employee failed miserably on this front. The manager jumped in and saved the day. I will not let her crabby attitude affect this review though, as EVERY other employee I delt with while there was great.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jayhere5192
CYMcDonough, Director of Sales at Courtyard Atlanta McDonough, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear jayhere5192,

Thank you for your candid feedback. We truly appreciate your honesty, and rest assured that this has been addressed with the appropriate persons. I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations during your arrival. We pride ourselves on providing extraordinary service, and I am glad that this shone through during the rest of your stay with us.

If you are ever in the area again we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. Please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to honor the rate that was quoted on the third party website, plus an additional 15% off. I will also honor a complimentary upgrade for your troubles.

Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon.

cturnipseed@hotelequities.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Lisle, Illinois
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We'd first stayed at this hotel in February 2011 on the way to Florida. It had just opened a few months earlier. (see review)

Our second stay was as good as the first and, better still, less expensive. The cost was about $122, tax included, somewhat more reasonable than the first visit.

I noted in another review that the breakfast service in the lobby restaurant can be a bit slow. Having had a similar experience last year, I can offer that there are plenty of other options in the immediate area for a quick breakfast, e.g. McDonald's.

The location of this hotel is extremely convenient to I-75. It's a great choice for those traveling through the Atlanta area to the south.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear waterengineer3728,

Thank you for staying with us again! We appreciate your loyalty to us amongst other hotel choices in our area. I am glad to hear that you had another great experience with us, and we look forward to serving you again in the future... probably next February, hu?! We definitely look forward to it... until then, safe travels!

Franklin, Indiana
Reviewed February 6, 2012

This is a nice new modern hotel with great decor and grounds. The rooms are very roomy and comfortable. The beds are great. The location is very close to shopping and restaurants. The only negative was the breakfast. They have replaced the normal Coutyard buffet with a Starbucks type cafe. The menu is quite limited, and service was very poor, not to mention way over priced.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
CYMcDonough, Director of Sales at Courtyard Atlanta McDonough, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Dear rondot98,

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Although I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the design, layout, and comfort of our hotel, I am regretful that you found other parts that didn't meet with your expectations.

You are absolutely correct, Marriott has replaced the traditional buffet style dining with the Bistro. This new concept has taken a bit of adjusting to on the behalf of long time Marriott fans. The idea behind the Bistro is to provide our guests with a fresh, healthy, cooked to order meal. We are hopeful that our guests will enjoy this feature of the new Courtyard concept, but we realize that some may miss the buffet style dining. They style, menu, and pricing of the Bistro is not in our control; however, the service that you received is. I sincerely apologize for the lack of service from our Bistro attendants. That is not acceptable, and it's not our way. I will address the appropriate people.

With that, I would like for breakfast to be on us the next time that you are in our area. My contact information is below, please reach out to me when you are passing through again and I will provide you with a $25 gift certificate to one of our area restuarants that serve breakfast.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 3, 2012

There for a wedding, everyone had good, large rooms, the pricing was excellent, restaurants nearby. Same exact design as other Courtyards I have visited recently -- a good design.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EagleEyeBoston
Dear EagleEyeBoston,

Thank you for your response. I am glad that we were able to serve you during such a joyous occasion as a wedding, we appreciate the opportunity.

The new design with the Courtyard brand is pretty fantastic! We definitely enjoy it, and we hear compliments from corporate and leisure guests alike. Pretty soon all Courtyard hotels across the globe will be in this same design.

Thank you, again, for your response and for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed January 12, 2012

I chose this establishment to be near the location of the final services of a relative.The hotel is located near I-75 (about 20 minutes south of the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport) near shopping and restaurants. The rooms and the entire property was very clean. I arrived at the hotel about 2:30 in the morning and was pleasantly surprised at the energy of the staff person on duty at this time of the morning. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful with local information and directions during a three night stay. Amenities include an indoor pool and fitness center. The fitness center was small but well equipped and very clean. The hotel offers 4 floors of rooms, free wi-fi, complimentary on site parking and a 24-hour business center with a boarding pass printing service. The hotel has a smoke free policy and does not allow pets. This is really a great place to stay!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
CYMcDonough, Director of Sales at Courtyard Atlanta McDonough, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear urbanteacher55,

First, I would like to send my condolences for your recent loss. I hate that you had to visit our property under those conditions; however, I am glad that you chose the Courtyard to provide a bit of rest and relaxation while you were in the area.

Thank you so much for your invaluable feedback, and positive remarks. I truly appreciate the opportunity to have been able to have served you during this difficult time. We look forward to serving you again, and hopefully under better circumstances.

Have a wonderful day,
Director of Sales
404-916-6828
FL
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed here on our way back to Florida from the MIdwest. This hotel looks brand new although here a year already! Its a great location off of I-75 & is right next to many shopping stores & restaurants. Our stay was just a brief stopover so we didn't get to take advantage of any of the hotel amenities but, they looked wonderful. I would like to go back in warmer weather & enjoy their outdoor courtyard w/firepit & small walking path. There was also a nice gazebo & sitting area outside. I like how they've integrated the check-in area right into the lobby & bistro. The lobby is very modern with a nice business center area. Rooms were quite large & very nicely decorated. Our 2 beds were extremely comfortable & the whole room (& bathroom) were spotless. We were very happy with this hotel for our purposes, but if you're in Atlanta for leisure, I'd find something closer to town.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I traveled to the Metro Atlanta area for pleasure on 12/31/2011 to ring in the New Year at a nearby NYE party. We decided to stay at this hotel, since it was very near Interstate 75. Not only was the staff very friendly, but the hotel was new and in impeccable condition. The lobby area was very warm and inviting. My husband loved the hotel's Gym, and there was even an indoor heated swimming pool for guests. The room was absolutely beautiful, and the mattress felt wonderful, as though I were sleeping on a cloud. There were 6 pillows on the bed, and a nice, flat screen television in the room, free Wi-Fi, as well as a mini-fridge. I was totally shocked when I noticed a huge fire pit located outside of the hotel, in the rear. Guests were surrounding this fire pit, warming their hands. I wish I had brought marshmallows to roast. (Smile!) There was an outdoor cabana for guests, complete with oversized, comfy sofas. To top it off, during check-out, I lost my set of house keys. We frantically searched through our car and luggage, in hopes of finding them. My husband then went inside to ask the front desk clerk if anyone had turned in lost keys. Much to his amazement, she held up my keys. My husband felt so relieved to see my keys. The housekeeper had graciously taken the keys to the front desk clerk immediately after she discovered them left in our hotel room. There is also a nice business center in the hotel. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. We had an amazing experience there! We look forward to staying there in the future. I did not want to leave. There is lots of shopping, restaurants, and an outdoor flea market in the area.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the cabana. I loved seeing the roaring fire coming from the nice fire pit near t...