“Great value, except our room smelled like smoke”

Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Marietta - Windy Hill
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Marietta
Athens, GA
“Great value, except our room smelled like smoke”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you are just looking for a place to sleep this is a great hotel. The room was spacious and clean. The beds are very firm. My only complain is the smoke smell in the room, hallways, and entrance. Basically everywhere! The grab and go breakfast was pretty good. They had oatmeal as well as oatmeal bars, granola bars, and fresh apples and oranges. Didn't expect fresh fruit so this was a nice surprise. All of the staff we interacted with was friendly and helpful. It is an older hotel so it does appear to need a few cosmetic repairs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Marietta - Windy Hill, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies that there was a smoke smell present in your room. Still, we are pleased to know that we were able to overcome that issue and make your experience a positive one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Went to check in around 11 pm bc due to weather, we arrived later than we should have. I had booked a queen room for my fiance and I and when we went into the room, it was a double. Went to the front desk attendant to hopefully be switched to our rightful room when he told me they Gave it away but gave me an "upgrade" and that it was the only room left for the night. Reluctantly, we went to the room but upon fully entering, the room reeked of weed. So we ended up telling the attendant once again and getting a refund to book somewhere else. The attendant was very understanding so we had no problem with him but the upkeep and service of the overall room and customer service upon arrival lacked but then again, I guess that's what you get when you book such an inexpensive room.

• Stayed June 2013
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Marietta - Windy Hill, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize for the problems with your reservation and your room. I discussed your comments with our front desk team as well as our housekeeping team. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention and allowing us the opportunity to correct it. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mlander@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future. Thank you.
StL,MO
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Staying in a low-budget hotel shouldn't have to mean low-quality, especially for a site with a TripAdvisor Sign on the front door! Four men on golf outing split 2 rooms; just needing a place to crash, that's pretty much all we got.
1) Staff was friendly at check-in, check-out and throughout visit - PLUS
2) Room was quite clean - PLUS
3) Flat-Screen TV was defaced (large 'X' scratched into screen) - MINUS
4) No Room Phone; other guests called us room - to - room to no avail & had to resort to using cell phones - MINUS
5) No Ironing Board / Malfunctioning Iron nearly ruined a pair of slacks - MINUS-MINUS
6) Staff delivered a 'phone' & Ironing Board by simply dumping them into the room while we were gone -MINUS
7) Shower had little pressure, then suddenly the shower head (Plastic, thank God) 'Shot' off of pipe & struck me in the chest during shower MINUS-MINUS-MINUS
8) Desk Clerk offered to move us to a different room, but was unable to determine if he had any rooms available. He eventually came to room & struggled 10 minutes to attach new shower head himself; no maintenance staff on duty. MINUS / PLUS / MINUS
9) Corner Molding came off wall & struck me in middle of night - MINUS-MINUS-MINUS
10) When we informed desk of issues, they agreed to document them & inform Mgmt; however, no manager was available over weekend to assist (make a decision). MINUS-MINUS
11) Refund was issued Monday afternoon - to the credit card of another member of our party who stayed in a different room! MINUS-MINUS

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I dont even want to give this place one star or one circle..
I am surprised that that place is still in business and surprised that place hadn't violated any cleanliness codes.
My husband made the reservation and he stayed there two days before i arrived.. he asked me to stay where we lived until we find a different place to stay in, other than that extended stay, he told me the place was a disaster and it wouldn't be good for me to get there. I am currently almost 8 months pregnant, my husband was worried i might get sick from staying there and be surrounded by clouds of smoke!
I arrived to the hotel based on our original plan and this is by far the worst place we had ever stayed in. your feet gets dirty just by walking on the carpet floor of that room, the place smells like smoke and you don't know if that's cigarette smoke or something else ! you see cigarette butts on the floors of the hallways and on the stairs. the appliances were a disaster as well.. plates were old and scratched and dirty... the refrigerator wasn't even working, it was set to the coolest temperature but our food went bad inside it. i did get sick after leaving milk in the refrigerator over night,,, INSIDE THE REFRIGERATOR !!!!!
The air conditioner went out one evening and the management couldn't accommodate us to stay at a different room. they filled out an order to fix it the next morning... no one showed up the next morning until i called the front desk around noon...we stayed in the heat the entire time... it happened that those few days were hot in GA. The handy man ended up bringing an entire different unit to replace the broken one... the replacement unit is still an older unit and looked awful... but at time we were just happy to have a working air conditioner!
the bathroom is another disaster.... the old stained faucet is horrible.. it smelled so bad! the shower curtain was horrendous.. and the bath was horribly filthy. you're just basically getting yourself even more dirty just by showering..
I am 100% confident that the CEO [or any manager] of the extended stay hotel chains would NEVER stay in a place like that..towels were not white, had a very bad odor and had a funny color.. i never used those towels fearing i might catch a skin disease and pass it on to my unborn child!

just basic cleanliness requirements did not exist in that place. again i am very surprised that that place hadn't shut down yet or hadn't went out of business.

Room Tip: I do not recommend this place.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Farah C
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had no problems at this hotel. The staff was very helpful and it was close to the freeway. The room were nice and spacious. Parking was very convenient. The only downside, they need better internet service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Marietta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay here at Extended Stay. The staff on SEVERAL occasions have gone above and beyond to make my stay SAFE and ENJOYABLE!!!! Even when my toilet overflowed right before I was supposed to go to work, the gentlemen staff member (who was supposed to being home - night shift) came right to my room and helped me right away. Being a single women safety is a concern for me and every time I have been concerned about my safety the staff especially Betty on the evening shift has come to my rescue several times. The staff is always friendly, curteous and helpful. Housekeeping is very reliable and always does a good job. I will say my room probably needs updating but is very adequate for my current needs. I would definately recommend Extended Stay at Windy Hill.

Room Tip: Top Floors - back side of hotel quieter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Manager-AAL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Marietta - Windy Hill, responded to this review, March 18, 2013

Athens, Alabama
Reviewed February 25, 2013

really some very nice staff in there, but our room needed cleaning, updating, and some maintenance. From what I could see of the hallways, elevator, and public areas, this location gathered a majority of guests who I perceived to be rough/shady. Lots of noise and even someone tried to open our door handle twice between 0100 and 0300 am. Yikes!!

Our room smelled dank, the hallways smelled of cigarette and marijuana smoke, and the parking lot was almost full when my family of 5 checked in at 0900 pm. Although I met the most pleasant front desk staff and cleaning ladies, the hotel property negatives could not be overcome. Paid $65 and should have moved locations or paif a little more for a better location.

Room Tip: I humbly suggest picking on of the other 2 Extended Stay locations in Marietta. This one, at least...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manager-AAL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Marietta - Windy Hill, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

It is my pleasure to provide an explanation regarding the issue you described. Every part of our hotel, from the in-room features, to the design of our guest corridors, to the personalized voicemail, is an integral part to creating a ""home away from home"" experience for our guests. Since we recognize that a quiet, relaxing environment is critical to this goal, we have several systems to ensure that noise from within or outside the hotel doesn't interfere with your stay. Although rare, there are instances where a guest may hear noises from the surrounding area. Whenever we are informed of such disturbances, our standard operating procedure is to promptly identify the source of that disturbance and resolve it. I take full responsibility that we were unable to resolve this situation to your satisfaction during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marietta
Country Hearth Inn & Suites Atlanta / Marietta and Banquet Hall
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Northwest at SunTrust Park
Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest
Quality Inn Marietta
Quality Inn Marietta
#6 of 33 in Marietta
Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Marietta - Interstate N. Pkwy
Days Inn Marietta-Atlanta-Delk Road

Been to Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Marietta - Windy Hill? Share your experiences!