“Consistent, but not special”

Courtyard Atlanta Marietta/I-75 North
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Marietta
Columbia, South Carolina
“Consistent, but not special”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

It's a Courtyard and it about what you probably anticipate from a Marriott. This review covers two different stays a week apart and two different room types -- the single room and the suite.

Both times I asked for a room near the elevator. Both times I received a ground floor room, but as far away from the lobby as they could possibly put me -- I felt like I was in a different state. To be fair I didn't complain or ask to be changed, but this has never happened before at a Marriott.

Ground floor rooms look out either on a parking lot or a center courtyard. Neither is a great view, but the central courtyard is quieter than the parking lot. Upper floor rooms might be even nicer, but we never got one.

Check in was uneventful, although clearly my Marriott status doesn't rate me any upgrade or special perk -- a few extra points or a small bottle of water and bag of chips. Compared to how I have been treated at other Marriott properties in Atlanta I am more than a bit surprised -- but again to be fair, I didn't complain. Just be prepared if you stay here.

The rooms were clean. I asked for extra towels and received three, which I suppose is more than two. The first room was the standard. Rather small actually and no refrig or microwave. In addition, as anyone staying at Marriotts knows, their designer somehow thinks putting the TV at a 90 degree angle from the bed is somehow chic. It isn't -- it is pain in the neck (literally). The second stay I opted for the more expensive two room suite and frankly, it was worth it. The rooms were large and pleasantly laid out. You could, for example, actually watch TV the way it was meant to be watched -- straight on. The microwave and frig were nice. Given how many hotels are installing them, I'm more than a little surprised that Marriott is still placing them only in their more expensive rooms. Come on guys.

My one complaint with the larger room was that they chose to install the smallest toilet imaginable. This decision was necessitated by using a door that swings into the toilet/shower area (the smaller room avoided this problem by using a pocket door, which freed up a lot of space). I'm a big guy and this miniscule toilet was not fun. While most travelers are hoping they don't spend a lot of time on the toilet, it is still surprising that Marriott's architects and designers are so out of touch.

Breakfast was consistent -- eggs, sausage patties (occasionally links), bacon that was almost always nearly out and limp, potatoes, cereals, waffles, all pretty much the usual. The restaurant staff was a bright spot -- always pleasant, alert, and nice. After just a day we were recognized and our order remembered.

The business center was convenient, the connection speedy (as it was in the room). Printers were free.

So, everything was fine, but I'm not sure that the facility is all that much better than a Holiday Inn Express, for example -- there just isn't much that makes it special.

Room Tip: Upper floor may be better -- and get a room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MikeT100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Clean and comfortable hotel that easily accessible. As others have said, it is older and a bit dated but I found the hotel exceptionally clean, with a welcoming staff and at a good value. I would certainly stay again.

1 Thank businesstraveler009
Fisherville, Kentucky
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We looked at the specs for this hotel online and read: Hearty hot breakfast buffet served daily. Only when we checked in did we find out this breakfast would cost an additional $9.95 per person. I really feel that should have been clearly stated at the hotel website. Also, the room did not have a microwave or mini refrigerator. Something I took for granted for the price of the room and how common these items are now in most hotels. Just want to alert other travelers to these things if they are important to them. The hotel is beautiful and comfortable and very clean.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 39405Happycampers40
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stopped he for the night on our drive back to Chicago from Disney. We used the Priceline negotiator and secured the room for $52. We actually had two rooms. The rooms were clean and seemed updated and modern. We had a sports team staying the night and you could hear their doors closing. Otherwise, they behaved and were quiet. The room had a balcony which we could less about. Flat screen tv with only a hand full of channels in HD. The beds were comfortable.

Overall, a nice overnight stay at the right price offs the highway. Clean and safe with no issued to report.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Pretty disappointing for a Marriott property. Needs to be updated, looks a bit beat up. No fridge or microwave in room! Also, hair dryer was missing. The place was at least clean & bed was comfy. Definitely the worst Courtyard I've stayed at though...just needs work.

• Stayed December 2011
Kentucky
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Recently stayed here as part of a business trip. This is the third or fourth time I have visited this property. I am fairly confident that renovations have taken place in some parts of this property. For those who haven't been here, this hotel is laid out in sort of a horseshoe shape--there are rooms off of the lobby going out either to the left or to the right. I stayed on the right side, top floor.

The bedding was definitely upgraded since my last visit. Had a great night's sleep. The TV was a flat-panel as well. Bathroom was clean. This property has the sink located outside of the toilet/shower area of bathroom.

Rooms are not overly large but not small either. had no issues with noise or any other problems. I think the staff at this property was very friendly and accomodating.

Does have the full breakfast available in mornings. I think the price was 9.95 for buffet. Also had business center, too. Lobby was plenty large enough for several folks to gather and not be on top of each other. There was a big screen TV in lower level to watch as well.

Really have no complaints. I have always gotten a great rate at this place--the primary reason I choose this hotel in addition to proximity to my destination.

Don't be mistaken, this is not a 5-star place. But I don't expect that either. This is a middle of the road place with great rates, clean rooms and a nice staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I actually stayed here for a weekend in September 2010. In town for a baseball game. We didn't spend too much time in the rooms except to sleep, but the bed was super comfortable. Fabulous. Shower was amazing. Very clean. Lots of places close by. Just far enough outside of the city. Will most definately stay here again. The only pain was no Ethernet cable for the laptop, but so what. No big deal. Staff was super friendly. No issues checking in or out.

• Stayed October 2010