Review of Jerusalem Bakery

Jerusalem Bakery
Ranked #26 of 752 Restaurants in Marietta
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Israeli
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Me and my husband came across this place and thought why not we will give it a try and our reaction was YUMMY!!! We sampled many different things the staff was super helpful in explaining item but let me say the PITA and FALAFEL were our FAV!!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

A small-ish cafe is nestled beside a small bakery and cheese shop. All kinds of middle-eastern cheeses, yogurt drinks, flat breads, pita breads, sesame loaves, cookies -- it's a wonderful bakery! And the cafe is terrific too.

If you don't know what everything on the overhead menu is, the owner/server shows you pictures of the various platters. And amazingly enough, the platters you receive look just like the pictures!

Schwarma is what those of us who patronize fast-food restaurants recognize as gyro meat. But here's the interesting thing: they make their own schwarma (huge skewers of layered beef or chicken) and grill them. I had a beef and chicken schwarma platter: lots of slices/chunks of grilled meat served over lovely hummous, with Syrian pickles, pickled turnips, pepperoncini, middle-eastern green olives, parsley, and olive oil. Wnen I mumbled something about trying to cut back on bread, the owner/server offered me whole-wheat pita! It was perfect pita: soft, warm, easily plied open.

My husband had the lamb shank platter: rice, a lovely lamb shank, hummous, tahini salad, baba ghanoush, more pita, more pickles. He loved it, letting the meat slide from the bone and right onto his pita.

My daughter had a chicken and kufta platter (kufta appears to be a long hamburger, very lovingly seasoned) with hummous, tahini salad, baba ghanoush, and pita. We were having such fun that the owner brought us some lovely balls of falafel with a nice tahini sauce; then he brought extra pickles, and a few more sauces, including a terrific harissa (I think -- we never asked!).

we ordered a single yogurt drink, which reminded me greatly of lassi -- they have one with mango, but we ordered the plain and I loved it! We also ordered hot tea, which came after our meal.

The television was on during our entire visit playing live from a haj in Mecca -- all in Arabic, and all lovely to see. We understood nothing, but the images of people at prayer and pilgrimage were lovely to behold.

I recommend this place highly. Be prepared for a diner atmosphere, and lovely open kitchen noises, including the musical chiming of a wok!

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Stopped by this place just to buy pita bread because a friend had brought some to work that was so fresh, light and airy. Got some coming out of the back on wooden trays that was still hot. It was incredible and by far the best I every had.

Decided to try the cafeteria style deli half of the bakery. Ordered the daily special, a shawarma(chicken or beef) with a drink and a side. Got the chicken version with a side of fresh tabuleah. My wife got lentil soup. My four year old son got a cheese pie which he raved about. All was food was fresh with wonderful flavor. Well worth a try!

This company has two stores. One in Marietta the other in Alpharetta/Milton. The service in the Marietta store is very warm, with the staff being quick to respond and wonderful at making recommendations. The Alpharetta store is more modern, the female staff are great and very helpful. The male staff have a definite indifference to women which is so inappropriate. The man taking our orders ignored my wife's requests and only responded to me. Killed a positive experience in a place where I like the food.

I highly recommend Jerusalem Bakery but I only visit the original Marietta store where my wife and children are honored.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We went on a friends recommendation and found it a simple place, with very good food and great Pita Bread. The hummus was excellent, and the rest of our meal was great.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Martin, Tennessee
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Good prices, not fancy, not perfect. It is more than OK for me.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook