“Average”

Ranked #392 of 779 Restaurants in Marietta
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed October 23, 2017 via mobile

Most of what I wanted to order was unavailable the waiter said it was because there was something with the fryer. Got the Rueban...nothing special here.

Reviewed October 15, 2017

It was a busy week end on the Square (Street Art Chalk displays) and with the food trucks charging outrageous prices and nowhere to sit, I decided to have a bite at Hemingways. Haven't been in here for at least 10 years and nothing has changed beyond some menu adjustments (miss the Conck fritters).

Traveling solo I sat at the bar. The place was busy, but I was served a beer with a menu, quickly. About 10 minutes later I stopped the bartender to order... Fish and Chips. Seems easy enough, right?

After waiting 20 minutes to be served, I asked if they could make my order to go. No problem. Instead of seeing my food in the expected 5 minutes or so, I waited 25 more minutes and finally had the bartender go check on it (you'd think he might to that proactively, but no). Ten minutes later I get the food, pay the bill and leave.

Now I know that fried food does not travel well, so my expectations were in line when I arrived home. Thought I would fire up the oven and recrisp the expected light crispy batter on the fish, but you know about those darn expectations. The batter was a heavy corn meal batter that was at least as thick as the fish it covered... Ugh! Very heavy. Now that may be fine for some folks, but not for me. I like the light, crispy, crunchy batter on mine.

If you do to, then please don't order the Fish and Chips here. Also, I have a feeling that the kitchen is in no rush to get the food out, so even though my experience may be a one off, take that into consideration.

They do have a good deal of outdoor seating which is nice and past experience tells me that the wait staff is very attentive. I'm sure I will be back, but not order F&C to eat at the bar. Actually, that might apply to any food beyond chips and salsa if you expect it in a timely matter.

Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

There is new ownership which everyone is happy about, but there must be a remaining old staff member. The older guy with glasses, brown hair (receding hairline) no wedding band is a jerk. It is a bar ... lighten up ... don't be so uptight. Someone accidentally dropped their beer bottle. There wasn't even broken glass. This waiter was a complete jerk over cleaning up a little spilled beer on the floor. That is going to happen in a bar. Then, there was a large group their for the entertainment and a bachelorette party. They were taking silly pictures and this waiter yelled at them to stop for sticking their tongue out. WTH!!! First off, it wasn't remotely inappropriate or R rated, but again this is a bar!!! This is a place adults drink, laugh, and have fun. This old fuddy dud is rude. He should not work in a bar setting if he is such a prude. There is a nude mermaid above the bar dude!!! Who the hell does he think he is to scold someone who isn't doing anything wrong. Patrons will no longer tolerate a rude staff at Hemingways. You get one chance to try to rebuild a new reputation because everyone was sick of being overcharged and dealing with the prior rude staff, Mgmt, and ownership. We had a group of at least 50 people there last night with hefty tabs. Make sure your staff is friendly. My waitress was great. She was friendly and provided good service. The old guy is clearly burnt out and can't deliver good customer service. The food is overpriced to be served with picnic ware (styrofoam plates, plastic utensils, plastic cups). People come there for the entertainment, but some of the performers had stopped coming there because of prior Mgmt. I know the new owners want to get a fresh start and build good reputation, so make sure you have the right staff to do it.

Reviewed September 10, 2017

Have stopped in here a few times for a drink and light meal. Very laid back, has great tunes. Very clean, the staff have always been friendly nd took good care of us. Has inside and outside seating. Pet friendly outdoors. Have tried several things on their menu and all have been good. Pricing and amount of food you get is very fair.

1  Thank Donald M
Reviewed September 8, 2017

We ate lunch at Hemingway's. Nice selection of beers according to my husband.

I had the Cuban Sandwich and onion rings. It was very good. My husband had a bowl of chili and loved it. Our neighbor, who evacuated from Florida for Irma with us, had the fish tacos and she loved them.

When we got the bill, the waitress had taken 15% off because we had to leave Florida. How nice was that?

Great place. Great atmosphere.

1  Thank zoneme2000