“So So”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I spend several days in the Marietta area every year for work and love good Indian Food. I discovered Haveli about 4 years ago and thought their lunch buffet was pretty darn good then. Things seem to have gone down hill some since. I made my annual pilgrimage a few days ago, but for dinner rather than lunch this time. I noted that the restaurant - a made over Applebee's - gets a little shabbier every year and needs serious updating now. I also noted that they are suppose to open at 5:30 but it was closer to 5:40 before anyone showed up to open the door (I was early, and hungry). When I went in at 5:45 I stood around for 5 minutes waiting to be seated. I was the only one there. Once seated the young lady that was my waitress was very nice and did a fine job, I have no complaints about the service from that point on, but again I was the only one there. For dinner I ordered the Haveli Special Lite - which is basically a sample platter for one. It came with Na'an bread, a lentil dish, and a basmati rice and vegetable dish; all of which were good. The proteins on the plate were a healthy portion of Tikka Fish and two pieces of Tandoori Chicken. The Fish was the highlight (ironically because I'm not big into fish). Its was moist and had that spicy flavor I expect from Indian Food. The Tandoor Chicken was the right bright color and should have been the star of the plate but it was extremely dry and had no real flavor. I was suspicious that it had been left under heat lamps since the lunch buffet. The rice and the lentil side dishes where actually the best part of the meal (and the glass of wine). All in all, I got my Indian Food fix but was not impressed. I give them a bit of a break since it was early on a Monday evening - not exactly high tide for restaurants. I might give them another chance just to see if the lunch buffet better as I remember it. but if I have a real craving for good Indian food I'll probably shop around the area some more.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had to wait to be seated. There was no one to take the order or explain the menu. The food was tasteless and the authentic spicy Indian taste. All the gravy in the curry dishes tasted the same regardless of the dish ordered. I had to wait to ask for the bill while the server was cleaning the areas around us first. The server never comes back to get the payment. The servers were too busy chatting around the bar while all the customers needed attending. No service. And bad food ...means no return!

3  Thank S2011
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I've heard this from others as well, but the food is great. Very authentic, great portions. The staff is a bit uppity, but if your not easily offended you'll be fine. Good stuff.

1  Thank LillianB798
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have yet to find a delicious Indian buffet in the Atlanta metro area and thought we would give Haveli in Marietta a try. The food looked better than it tasted. The service was also not very attentive.

1  Thank jubes m
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I took my wife and kid for dinner in this restaurant. We found the ambiance of the place to be rather somber. I could find only one attendant who made us seat as we entered, took the order, served and accepted the payment when we were ready to leave after the dinner! No wonder, we had to be really patient for our order of assorted appetizers, Muglai Biryani and Haveli Special dinner (for two) to be served, however, we did not imagine that the appetizers would be served together with the dinner main course!! In the assorted appetizers, only the chicken tikka was decent, the rest were absolutely tasteless. The biryani was very ordinary. Haveli Special dinner (for two) was equally tasteless and since we were not enjoying the food, we decided to wrap up and take out the left overs.

As an Indian, I am totally disappointed with the food served by this restaurant, compared to the price paid, and would not recommend it to anyone. The food served was prepared with half cooked spices and no aroma which is a distinctive feature of any quality Indian food.

1  Thank The_Nath_Family