“Ratings are "Down Under" par”

Australian Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 24 Bakeries in Marietta
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian, International
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Atlanta
“Ratings are "Down Under" par”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We decided to stop and have breakfast before the farmer's market last weekend-- what a mistake! We both ordered an egg, sausage, and cheese wrap, because the trays of cooked dishes we figured were their "pies"... Chef Mike (Microwave) stayed busy, because he was the only one cooking anything and only to nuke the flavorless food. The bread (outside of the "wrap") was so hot you couldn't touch it, and it only cooled into a piece of shoe leather that I was unable to chew through. The few bites I did have were flavorless. To top it off, I was bit by a FLEA (yes, I picked it off of me while it was biting me and killed it) moments after entering, and spent my entire breakfast being paranoid that I was being attacked by these blood-suckers (the fleas, not the restaurant, but either would be appropriate). Try somewhere else!

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank amarion3

Duluth, Georgia
“As an expat Aussie, I wanted to like this place but....”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I wanted to like this place, I really did.

I haven't had a pie since living in OZ 12 years ago. These are a terrible example of a British/Aussie/New Zealand staple. Low rent crust encasing low rent filling. Believe me, Americans, these don't come close to a good pie. I agree with one of the previous reviewers, that these look & taste like they are a couple of days old. Their desserts were just as old & tired looking. I tried their small pavlova, & it had "cool whip" on it, instead of whipped cream! Yes, I know that cool whip will last for a good week in the dessert case window, but come on! What Aussie would use cool whip(for anything). Their iced coffees were the weakest drink I have ever had. Think Denny's coffee, watered down by a factor of 4. Yuk. Again, nothing like what you will get back in OZ or NZ. Such a shame. How these people get return customers is a complete mystery to me.

I will never go there again, nor could I recommend it to an expat, even a desperate one.

I'm from New Zealand & my wife is Australian. She was equally grossed out & unamused. Good thing she didn't see the restroom!

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank OzzieUsGirl
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Good Meat Pies but for Take-Out.”
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Although the food was good, the cafe needs a lot of TLC for us to want to go back and eat in.
No attention to cleaning off the tables or picking up spilled food around the tables. It was windy and rather cool outside or we would have eaten on one of the tables around the square. Having expressed my disappointment with the cafe we were well pleased with the meat pies and Cornish pasties. However those who had shepherd's pie said it was just ok, nothing special.
The hedgehog dessert was also good but the oatmeal raisin cookie was awful, hard as a rock!!
Definitely go back for the traditional meat pies, probably for take-out.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank unionjack1
Powder Springs, Georgia
“Unbelievable Fish and Chips!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Met my mom and dad for lunch on the square and we opted to try somewhere new...ended up at the Australian Bakery. It is a quaint little place, tables inside and out, unfortunately the pollen drove us inside, but the plus was we got to look at all the great desserts in the display case. Mom got the fish and chips was possibly the best I have ever had (inclduing London) we asked about the fish and it is Australian Roughy lightly breaded and spectacular. Two huge portions, enough to share! I had a steak and cheese pie, which was good, but I'd return for the fish.

• Visited April 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Interesting little deli.....”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stumbled upon this little deli bakery because we had a coupon for BOGO...What a pleasant surprise. The food was so different and unusual..I suggest you order a sandwich. They have great ice tea selection. There are few places to sit and eat but you can go to the square across the street and eat in the park...which is delightful on a sunny day. Do some shopping around the square then go back and purchase some yummy Australian bakery to enjoy on the way home. Totally a great day on the square....

• Visited March 2013