“Nice alternative in West Cobb”

Aspens Signature Steaks West Cobb
Ranked #402 of 726 Restaurants in Marietta
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I'd been to Aspen once before and just wanted an alternative to Ted's or Chicken and Egg. The decor is pleasant and there is a nice open bar and a fireplace in the dining room. The portions were ample but not large and the entrees were good. As someone mentioned the staff seems pretty young and performs like it. It's nice to be served promptly but when the server hits you up for your drink order before you can put your stuff down and pick up a menu, it intrudes. Then when the drinks hit the table, they are asking if you are ready to order and no one has even picked up the menu, it seems like they are unable to read the table. Of course it's easy to say 'we need some more time'. A little server training would go along way to improving the experience, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back for dinner

There are newer reviews for Aspens Signature Steaks West Cobb

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We dined there and our meal was very nice and the portions were more than ample. We had fried calamari for an appetizer and my wife had fried gulf shrimp and I had the black Angus burger. Knowing what I know now, after ordering the calamari, we should only have ordered one meal and split it! The calamari had a nice lite batter on it and were fried to perfection. The gulf shrimp were huge and also fried to perfection with the same lite batter. They both were fantastic tasting. Will definitely order them again. The Angus burger was huge, and would take someone that was very hungry to be able to finish it. IMHO. The only downsides, we were a group of 8 and were seated at a large round table in the middle of the restaurant. In that area, it is very noisy with all the booths and large tables filled with diners. The other was our server kept getting confused who got what meal, which was sad, for an establishment of that quality. Other than those minor problems, we enjoyed a very nice meal with friends. We will dine their again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Sorry to say this restaurant has not kept pace with their other location in East Cobb.
We went for dinner this past weekend. I ordered a dozen oysters on the half shell (Gulf coast) and at least three of the four I tasted were bad. One was so foul I had to spit it out.
The server and the manager were apologetic and took them right off our bill.

I also ordered the lamb chops. I ordered them "medium." Two nice, thick chops arrived but both were cooked closer to rare than even medium rare. And they were very tough. The finishing sauce was great but the overall lamb chop experience was ruined by toughness and under-cooking.

My wife ordered the shrimp and grits - and she felt her dish was unremarkable.

We felt the service was good and the server tried hard. Just seemed the food was "pushed" from the back, hurriedly prepared, even though the restaurant wasn't packed. Or else prepared by undertrained line cooks.

I'm sorry to report this as I really like the ambiance of Aspens (more so the East Cobb restaurant). And we like having a nicer place to eat at for dinner in West Cobb County. But at $70 total tab (with one beer) I don't feel it was a good value to warrant a return trip.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Have always wondered about this place so we went for dinner on a whim on a Friday night (6:30pm). Decor is dated and place looks a bit worn. They had a huge staff on hand, but they were all young and mostly inexperienced. Our waiter couldn't answer basic questions like where is the lamb from and how is it cut (Frenched or butcher cut). We decided not to try beef and decided on shrimp and grits with tasso ham and one of the nightly specials, which was amber jack fillet. The shrimp & grits was very good and nicely spiced. The fish a bit heavy, but nicely prepared. Our table was kept clean and when we ordered dessert, it came with a hand-made note wishing us a happy anniversary. Kudos to the waiter for picking up on this. But I must say the chocolate mousse cake was not exciting, nor made locally. Bottom line is this is a pricey restaurant. I'll go back and try their steak, but it better be awesome, because the whole package isn't there.

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Had the 8oz. filet. Over cooked and not great quality. Wife had salmon and enjoyed it. Bread was good. Served with something, not butter, bland and tasteless. The one bright spot was the Bulleit bourbon. I won't come back. Steak was Longhorn quality if that. At a much higher price.