“Stay Away!!!!!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Marietta, Georgia
“Stay Away!!!!!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This place is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They do not know the meaning of Customer Service. The management was rude and they over charged!!! I will be reporting them to Channel 2 local news. If you are looking for a good time and great food... La Ziza is NOT THE PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited March 2014

Atlanta, Georgia
“If going on a weekend, go early.”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Went with my daughter to watch the bellydancer (good friend, great dancer) and the firedancer, got there about 7:30. When I have been to this show before, it was excellent. Food was good, service was slow, but that was OK as we were waiting for the show. Nice quiet family atmosphere, for a while. A DJ started to unpack his equipment, took forever to do it, then about 9pm the restaurant turned into a club. The fire performer we came to see seem to be replaced with an "open mike" show, which was interesting in it's own way, but not what we planned on. Soon the non-Arabic music was POUNDING, so loud that conversation was impossible, a smoke machine was deployed (why?) service became non-existant, the manager literally RAN through the club several times "where is HE going?", and the belly dancer was superceded with hula-hoopers. Left with a pounding headache and huge bill, not worth it. If you want to enjoy your dinner, go early.

• Visited January 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Refreshing addition to Marietta Square”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

It’s been a while since I’ve been back to the Marietta Square for dinner. What a pleasant surprise when we stopped in at Laziza, formerly Efes. What a huge difference in the food quality and service!

We met another couple, one of whom is vegetarian, so I’m always careful about what options there are on the menu. And there are plenty of options at Laziza. A lot of regular items are vegetarian, plus six special vegetarian entrees are offered. We started with the Mezza Platter, which gives you a sampling of their humus, baba ghanouj, falafel, tabouleh and grape leaves, all of which were excellent. I lived in the Middle East for the first 16 years of my life, and these dishes all hit the like button! The lamb shawarma platter was surprisingly good. The spicing and flavor is very authentic and awesome, the portion generous. The only slight disappointment was the rice, which surprises me. It just lacked flavor. Our table also tried the Salmon dinner – which got a vey favorable rating for flavor and portion. The chicken shawarma sandwich was also delicious. We shared the Baklava and Qatayef for dessert. The Qatayef dough was a little greasy, but nonetheless flavorful. The Baklavah here is not oversweet.

Service was very good and attentive. Our server knew the menu and the ingredients and could explain them. We’ll definitely go back to try the Kibbeh and a few other items I like.
Laziza does not offer wine or beer and city law prohibits BYOB. The good side of that is that the bill was very reasonable! The furnishings are a bit worn, but hopefully the new owners will put some of the profits back into the restaurant.

My only concern here is that ALL the cooking is done by the matriarch chef. And while she is an excellent and authentic cook, if they get slammed, customers will have to wait for their food longer than they want. We were there on a Saturday at 6:30 pm. It wasn’t busy, but the food was slow to come out.

The hookah aspect of this restaurant is big with the young crowd, but may scare off some not familiar with it. They put a lot of emphasis on this and use their sidewalk tables almost exclusively for hookah smokers. We’ll see how this shakes out. It didn’t bother us.

• Visited September 2013
“Worth a second visit”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I took my niece and nephew, ages 12 and 10, here for dinner. She's an adventurous eater, he pretty much won't eat anything that isn't white. They both loved it. The staff were very accommodating to the kids, and suggested items they both enjoyed. The service was attentive and friendly. The kids also loved the interesting decor.

I've traveled widely and had a lot of authentic middle eastern food. While the food here wasn't quite on par with what you might find in Egypt or the Mediterranean, it's certainly among the better offerings for this type of cuisine I've experienced in Atlanta. Everything I sampled was fresh and well-prepared.

It seems that they may not have been open for very long. I hope the place takes off - it's nice to have an alternative to all the usual suspects when it comes to ethnic restaurants in the area.

• Visited May 2013
“Poor Business Practice”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The server/hostess who I assume is the owner's daughter is probably the rudest person I have ever encountered. We were overcharged and when we questioned it there was no compromise and were told it was our fault. Will not return and will make sure that everyone I know is aware of Laziza's terrible business practice. Food was good but not worth the awful service. Don't waste your time.

• Visited May 2013