“Fresh ... Simple ... Italian”
Review of Padella

Padella
Ranked #141 of 724 Restaurants in Marietta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Fresh ... Simple ... Italian”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Fresh, Simple, Italian.... that's part of the logo for this sophisticated restaurant / bar just off the lobby of the Hyatt in Marietta, GA. The atmosphere is very modern and chic, with tables and bar that have a view of a beautiful garden with a great water feature in the back. The soup and salad were very good... soup of the day was hot / sour with lobster meat, which was excellent. I had the Peasant Pasta, which was a great papperdelle with zucchini, sweet peppers and sweet Italian sausage in a savory broth. It was great. Partner had Applewood smoked chicken with fettuccine, which was also great. We got fresh, hot bread with 3 dips (EVOO & balsamic; white bean; and olive tapenade) with our soup and salad, also delicious. We sat at the bar and were served by an excellent barkeep / server (Larry). He made us feel VERY welcome and served us well. We WILL come back to this great place whenever we can!

• Visited August 2013

Kennesaw, Georgia
“Very impressive quality of food!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a certificate for $25 so we went. We will go again! Appetizers, main entrees and dessert plus the 3 dips that came with the very warm bread were all spectacular! We were so flabbergasted that a hotel restaurant was decent. It's not cheap, but worth it. We may gets room next time even though we are local. Atmosphere of the whole place made us feel like we had been to an elegant garden for dinner.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank PartridgeCK
c
“Healthy Maybe, But Pricey, Kind of”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

If you go in a place for the first time and you're not sure what you're going to get, it wouldn't hurt to use coupons, mail-in or online. We used a gift certificate from the internet which is accepted at Padella.

This is a restaurant attached to a hotel, Hyatt, to be more exact, at the top of a hill. We parked at the foot of the hill, because we weren't sure if you could park free if you're not a hotel guest. Good thing is, we had just had breakfast at home, so we weren't in a rush. We picked this place partly to check it out, partly to treat a friend, who just got here from China, to a taste of America. We assumed he didn't mind joining the experiment.

The first thing that you see, upon entering Padella, is the picture-perfect garden view outside the glass windows. We took a table where we directly faced it.

It's still a bit early for lunch. When we asked for the lunch menu, she hesitated but obliged.

I know from previous experience that for people who are fresh from home, it's better to start them out with something that they already knew, something not necessarily from the appetizers section of the menu, and then ease their way in. I suggested Pizza Pancetta for our friend. (As a background note, when I first came to the US., Pizza Hut was unheard of in China. These days, pretty much all the major food chains here have opened stores in China. In fact, McDonald's has been localized so much, I heard, that you can get Chinese-style fritters in some of their Chinese branches.)

The pizza, when it came, was not a slice. It's a whole personal pizza at 10 bucks.

Their kids' menu is kind of expensive too, about 7 bucks per order before tax, but I haven't been to a place that offers whole-wheat pasta for kids, have you?

Their fried raviolis are good. Everyone loved them, but that's a no-brainer.

My husband ordered their house salad--the one that's named after the restaurant, and I picked Cobb Salad, which came in a huge bowl. When I compared notes with hubby later, he said his order didn't have peeled boiled eggs in it. When I aksed him about avocado, he said he couldn't remember. I guess no for avocado in the house salad. Their Cobb salad looks like a stepped-up version of their house salad, but whether it's worth twice as much, it's up to you to decide.

BTW, I also recommended their Cobb salad to our Chinese friend and suggested in particular the avocado in it for him to try. Based on the look on his face, he didn't think much of it.

The server had an accent when she talked, but I wasn't 100% sure if she's a 1st-generation immigrant--sometimes, when you've been in a country for so long, you lost the edge to tell things apart. But what made us uncomfortable wasn't her accent. It's the fact that she started to mop the floor while we weren't even done. If it's about their close time, I could understand--she wanted us to go, but we're not even close to lunch hour yet. And I, for one, didn't notice anything on the floor that cried out for cleaning. It's like those salespeople who greet you the minute you step into a store, without giving you a few minutes to look around. You don't know if you should thank them for their prompt manners or not. I don't know how you feel about it, but these folks make me feel as if I were on sacred grounds--with my shoes on.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank jia y
Huntington, Indiana
“Average food and service”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Located within the Hyatt we are staying in, this restaurant looked to be mid to high end Itialian dining. While the view of the hotel's courtyard is beautiful, the food and service fell very short. Our plates looked great, our food was hot, but everything was very very bland. My husband's mahi mahi was "exceptionally bland" and my Create Your Own Pasta was incorrect, even though you literally check off ingredients on a card. When I brought this to the attention of our server, he was awkwardly confused and offered only to bring me more parm. My ice water glass sat empty for over 10 minutes before refilled. Our total (without tip) was $38 for two entrees, a sweet tea, and an ice water. Overall, we were disappointed with the expirece.

1 Thank Tia G