“Good Concept. Bad Management.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Brazilian, South American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Marietta
“Good Concept. Bad Management.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The service and food are not good at Folia, but they are completely irrelevant to this story. You need to stay FAR away from Folia in Marietta SIMPLY because of the management.
Stay away from Folia. This is a matter of principle.
I had the pleasure of speaking with the "owner" of Folia, and he was one of the most caustic, irritating people that I have ever spoken with in my life (and I have spoken with a LOT of caustic and irritating people over the years).
Here's the situation. My wife and I took our two kids (8 and 3 years old) out to dinner. I saw the Folia Groupon for $80 for $40, so I thought this would be something fun - I have never been more wrong in my life (and I'm a Falcon's fan).
After walking into Folia, the hostess asked if we had a groupon, to which we said yes. We ordered a bottle of wine and had dinner - the meat (which was supposed to be their "thing") was meh at best. The check came and I paid it - though it did look a little high (remember that the groupon gave an $80 discount). After getting home, I looked at the receipt and noticed that they charged us for 4 full priced dinners (read as: 4 x $29.95 each) before applying the groupon. Remember the part where I said that we had a 3 and 8 year old... yeah - when was the last time you paid $60 for two kids to eat dinner? Yeah... me too (and this one was especially NOT worth it).

After realizing that I had clearly been overcharged, I called to speak with a manager. I had to call Folia several times, as I kept getting a recording about "the google subscriber is unavailable" (I assume they use googlevoice or something). After getting through, I spoke with a gentleman with a very thick accent (who identified himself as "the manager"); he apologized profusely and told me that this was a mistake. He said to come in on any Tuesday or Thursday and he would refund the $60 for me and "something" (I say something, because I could not completely understand him, but I heard the part that I had called about, so I moved on). Though I'll admit that I was irritated that I was going to have to drive back out there, I was glad to hear that gouging families with kids was not a practice that management intended.

The next week, I was unable to make it to the restaurant (given that the manager requested that I come in on Tuesday or Thursday), but I went in the following Tuesday. I drove up to Folia, spoke with a waitress who was going to get the manager. I chose to wait in their closed off dining room, as I did not want to be that creepy guy that was milling around the restaurant, while I got this money refunded.
It turned out that the manager was not there, so she called the owner. After a very long wait (at least 15 minutes), she came back and informed me that the owner was offering to refund $30, but would not honor $60. I re-explained the situation, told her that the offer is unacceptable and that I drove over to get the refund that I was promised by the manager I spoke with. I offered to speak with the owner on the phone if necessary. She agreed to relay the message, then came back about 5 minutes later - with the phone outstretched, and within 3 minutes from that moment I had lost any shred of respect for that establishment.
I asked his name, but he refused to tell me his name... He told me that I did not need to know his name.
The Owner of Folia then began beligerantly talking over my every word, started yelling over the phone at me (he seemed completely unequipped to handle me refusing his paltry $30 offer), and ultimately left me with these lovely nuggets (again... the "owner" of Folia said these things to me):
"Yes, I am calling you a liar."
"You think you are the first idiot to stand in my restaurant and make demands?!"
"You are ridiculous, obnoxious, and you deserve nothing." (note, I was standing in a closed off area of his restaurant - intentionally trying to NOT be obnoxious, that is clearly not this guy's style)
and my personal favorite "Hang up this phone right now, so I can call the police to drag you out of my restaurant."
I am not exaggerating... this actually happened to me. The owner of Folia insulted me, then threatened me over $60. After the berating, I opted to listen to the owner's big speech; the summary was "he only owes me $30" (remember, he charged me $120 for dinner for 4 people - two of them were EIGHT and THREE years old...)
When it was all said and done, THE OWNER OF FOLIA not only refused to refund the two $30 meals for my children (again, I had already been assured this would not be an issue by "the manager" I spoke with previously); THE OWNER OF FOLIA kept trying to force the explanation down my throat that since I had bought a groupon, I deserved it, and that he was not going to give me back more than $30. This was because his normal priced kids' meals cost $14.99 ... wow, now THAT surprised me.

Again, here's my point:

When my kids eat at a buffet (which is less than once per year), then I would estimate the cost in food for them was less than $3.50 each, right? Wouldn't you say?
My wife and I eat and the estimated cost in foot for us was less than $8.00 (again, this is not a "nice" restaurant - the food is "meh").
That brings the estimated total in food to around $23, right?
Do the math - my check was over $120 (that was before we bought a bottle of wine as well, but that's beside the point - like I said, this is an issue of principle), and this guy would rather yell, threaten, and hurl insults than refund the $60 that I should have never been charged in the first place. My children have better manners than this guy. Period.
I may be wrong, but I think that paying $60 for two children is excessive. I also think threatening people is not a good way to conduct business, but you can re-read this post and understand that.
In summary, FOLIA was the WORST restaurant experience of my life.
I hope you choose to AVOID FOLIA.
Good luck - and AVOID FOLIA!!!

• Visited January 2013

Palatine, Illinois
“Not Horrible but Not Good....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I arrived at this restaurant at 8:30 PM without a reservation and were promptly greeted by no one....

After about 10 minutes a man appeared and seemed somewhat out of sorts and asked if we had a reservation, I replied..."no". He then seemed even more annoyed and asked if we were using groupon... I don't really know much about groupon but I don't think you have to accept it... he sure didn't appear to want to.

He seated us at one of the more spacious tables. The dining area in this place is really quite small. He, we were never given a name, explained the process to us as my husband had never been to a Brazilian Steakhouse before. We left the table to go to the salad bar. The salad bar was really quite sad... the hot sides were green beans and corn though the green beans were labeled potatoes...? The other hot sides were unidentifiable so I didn't even read what they were supposed to be. For a novice like my husband, the salad section was daunting.. I was able to put together a decent salad and some Italian meats and melon with provolone.. but food is one of my things. I had to help my husband come up with an edible plate.

When we returned to "our" table, we found a waitress seating another couple there... I politely told her that we were sitting there and she moved the couple to the table behind us. We sat down and the first meat to arrive was a parmesan crusted pork loin... The flavor was there but the meat was completely dry. The next meats were also dry.. Just as I began to wonder.. some fresher and better prepared meats arrived... I had the Sangria and the Passion Fruit Moscato... fairly tasty.

Overall.. for the price it was what I expected though I did think they could do better. Put it like this.. I told my husband we would start him off with this place and work him up to Fogo de Chao if he liked it.. If you can afford the extra 20 dollars a person.. go to Fogo de Chao. For the experience and 28 dollars for dinner.. try Folia

• Visited February 2013
Lawrenceville, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I visited this place last Saturday Feb 9th 2013, I called at 4 pm and make a reservation for 2, when we got there they couldn't find my reservation and make me wait for 30 min,while waiting to be seated another couple experienced the same thing. Once seated the waitress was very rude when my wife told her that it was going to be our first and last time on that place. The salad bar was almost empty, after 10 min of being seated the first gaucho appears with a small piece of meat bleeding on the plate after eating more salad(lettuce and tomatoes) we got the bill and we show our groupon and they charge us the tip of 18% plus 24.50 more and would not honor the groupon for 2. The manager was very rude also and asking me to speak in Spanish so no other people would heard my complaint but we keep on talking English and another couple shows up with the same problem. They make us paid the 24.50 extra, Not recommended, stay away from this place.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Maybe for a starving Atkins Dieter..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Went on a Groupon, apparently that's the only way this place is open. Had reservations, but they were running 45 mins behind. Food was pranced through lobby and waiting area ( which is by the entryway - no seating everyone standing and dodging the meat on stick)
salad bar cracked us up - enough said. Several servers all over the place, all were very polite but roaming aimlessly.

1 Thank Fancymartinez
Atlanta, Georgia
“DO NOT DO IT!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My Husband and I went once and this place was absolutely AWFUL!!!!!!! First it took over an hour before we got a seat. Then when we get seated they sit us in a corner with gnats flying all around, on the table two got caught in my drink, on my food etc. After they had an attitude b/c we wanted to move, the put us at this tiny table and there were still gnats everywhere. Apparently no one knew this table was over here b/c hardly none of the servers came by our table with food. the food on the lil salad bar was lacking and they ran out of food and would replace with something that was different. This was not to mention that the restaurant itself looked like an old shack of a restaurant that definitely didnt look anything like an upscale brazilian restaurant.
They were rude unattentive/ Ther service was awful, the food was awful, and I would question the cleanliness with all the gnats flying around.

• Visited September 2012